Home

Time to Vote on Moderation style
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  Last >>

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Poll

Which moderation style do you prefer for politics?
Make Politics lightly moderated, with the understanding that small offenses will be left as is, and personal attacks hidden using spoilers.
 35%  [ 37 ]
Make politics heavily moderated and use spoilers to hide all offensive comments, and invoke posting restrictions on individuals as necessary.
 18%  [ 19 ]
Make the politics forum un-moderated and enter at your own risk, with very minimal moderating if absolutely necessary.
 31%  [ 33 ]
make politics lightly moderated, and add a separate un-moderated forum for the heated debates
 10%  [ 11 ]
make politics heavily moderated, and a separate forum for un-moderated politics.
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 105

Yael

Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 2:39 pm
Thank you all for your ideas and thought provoking posts in the moderation thread. I think everyone has gained a better understanding of the nuances that contribute to or detract from a civil conversation.

It is time to put it to a vote. I won't start the poll until all options are available so if I left off an option let me know and then I'll add a poll to this thread.

Here are the options, feel free to add more:

1. Make Politics lightly moderated, with the understanding that small offenses will be left as is, and personal attacks hidden using spoilers.
2. Make politics heavily moderated and use spoilers to hide all offensive comments, and invoke posting restrictions on individuals as necessary.
3. Make the politics forum un-moderated and enter at your own risk, with very minimal moderating if absolutely necessary.
4. make politics lightly moderated, and add a separate un-moderated forum for the heated debates
5. make politics heavily moderated, and a separate forum for un-moderated politics.

Let me know if these are all acceptable solutions, and if there is another option I neglected to include.
Then we can start the poll.

Sebastian

Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 4:53 pm
1 or 3

doctorima

Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 4:56 pm
You left out the best option: only allow Fox to post in the forum!

Squishy

Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 5:13 pm
doctorima wrote:
You left out the best option: only allow Fox to post in the forum!

Right! It should be one chosen representative from each side.

Joyinthemornng v Fox - no moderation

#BestBubby

Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 5:20 pm
Sounds great. I vote for no moderation - own risk.

wiki

Post  Mon, Dec 02 2019, 8:08 pm
If I read you correctly, Yael:

The options seem comprehensive. Ready to vote!

Laiya

Post  Tue, Dec 03 2019, 1:26 pm
Maybe the terms lightly moderated and heavily moderated should be defined? Lightly moderated would mean I assume, moderating personal attacks, name calling or profanity, etc.

Heavily moderated would include the issues raised in the other thread. But those are harder to define. Maybe not just no personal attacks, but no global attacks; no attacks, period? No sarcasm or snark? No questioning the morals, integrity or intelligence of fellow posters?

I would support this because the few posters who do those things, intimidate others from posting and reduce the quality of the conversation.

Yael

Post  Tue, Dec 03 2019, 2:07 pm
I added the poll. You may vote.

To clarify:
Lightly moderated means allowing attacks on public figures but not allowing personal attacks on a fellow Imamother. It means stepping in only when things are spiraling, and allowing free speech without censure as much as possible
Heavily moderated means locking threads early on to avoid the downward spiral of a deteriorating conversation. It means not allowing sarcasm or snark, and controlling the conversation to avoid the nit picking and rude remarks. it also includes taking away the right to post in politics for 7 days for each member who violates the no personal attacks rule. we'll have to define the exact parameters later if it becomes necessary.

Yael

Post  Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:06 am
Bump for more votes

WhatFor

Post  Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:27 am
Is there a way to also limit posting options do that people can't post more than x times in a row before someone else has responded (for ex 3 times)? Posters can always edit posts if they want to add anything.

I think letting a single poster post too many times in a row superficially moves a thread to trending where it really might only be trending for one person.

keym

Post  Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:31 am
Can we have a rule about providing links for facts. A lot of the misunderstanding is regarding establishing facts vs individual opinion.

Can we also limit the number of times we are allowed to repeat the same argument verbatim, especially if it's just copied and pasted.

roses

Post  Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:34 am
WhatFor wrote:
Is there a way to also limit posting options do that people can't post more than x times in a row before someone else has responded (for ex 3 times)? Posters can always edit posts if they want to add anything.

I think letting a single poster post too many times in a row superficially moves a thread to trending where it really might only be trending for one person.

Very much agree with this.

watergirl

Post  Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:37 am
keym wrote:
Can we have a rule about providing links for facts. A lot of the misunderstanding is regarding establishing facts vs individual opinion.

Can we also limit the number of times we are allowed to repeat the same argument verbatim, especially if it's just copied and pasted.

Re: links to back up claims - The issue would then become a fight over what sites are providing real vs. fake news. There is no way to make this work.

keym

Post  Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:48 am
watergirl wrote:
Re: links to back up claims - The issue would then become a fight over what sites are providing real vs. fake news. There is no way to make this work.

You're right. But it does limit the "you're lying" opportunities.
If I want to say that Hispanics are voting R by the droves (an example that I believe was fought recently) then at least I should back myself up even if it's from the new site "Baloney made up to make Republicans feel better". And if I want to say that Hispanics are voting D, then I should source it from "Long live the Democrat Party" magazine.
But at least there's a starting point- gets less messy.

naturalmom5

Post  Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:49 am
I say we do away with politics discussiions altogether

Stick to recioes schools fashion etc..

With politics we have proven time and time again all we accomplish is vicious personal attacks and making a horrific Chilul Hashem

Rubber Ducky

Post  Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:50 am
I'd like to see protection for topics to not be derailed, if that is the intent of the thread — such as policy discussions and threads meant to be light.

Only Trump Can Say... (for entertainment purposes only) which should have been a fun thread but went off the rails early on, and the Thanksgiving thread, which was split at the request of the OP in order to stay on topic, are good examples.

pause

Post  Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:05 am
I don't see that two separate forums will work. Mods will be busy moving threads all day.

ectomorph

Post  Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:08 am
This poll is difficult to understand and I'm not sure the response will reflect what people want to see. I would start again and simpler.

No moderation, hidden forum

Some moderation (personal attacks, ad hominem, bad faith accusations)

Heavy moderation - what does this even mean.

Zehava

Post  Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:09 am
Unmoderated
Whoever chooses to kill each other over silly things they can’t change anyway has it coming. I may visit once in a while for the popcorn.

ectomorph

Post  Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:10 am
Zehava wrote:
Unmoderated
Whoever chooses to kill each other over silly things they can’t change anyway has it coming. I may visit once in a while for the popcorn.

The hatred of unmoderated places makes them not enjoyable. That's why even places like Reddit require moderation .
  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 1 of 10 View latest: 24h 48h 72h