Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood schools HELP!!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

small bean

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 9:52 pm
lkwdlady88 wrote:
What can you tell me about TCS? Good girls? Good parents? What is different between parents that send there and elsewhere?

I'm going to PM you. I don't want this to become about lets bash.

bnm

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 9:55 pm
I had one school tell me 'parents who send to school xyz don't have good chinuch'. I said so I won't be sending to YOUR school then.

Sewsew_mom

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:03 pm

Last edited by Sewsew_mom on Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

lkwdlady88

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:06 pm
Sewsew_mom wrote:
Oh my goodness!! Such horrible things here.. Wow. No wonder schools have such awful names here in Lakewood everyine spews nonesense!!
I have my boys in tashbar and my girls in TCS! And wow if u believe everything is very one says ur putting urself right on the same level and all the judgmental people in Lakewood. How awful.
TCS is a wonderful school. I'm frum, it's completely not run by parents. It's not a new school that is falling apart. It's of the only schools in Lakewood that people don't go around lying and faking all day. I can't say everyone is the same and everyone is perfect, but honestly.. If I would be in a group with parents and girls from Ben, bnos bracha meoros and wtvr else u wanna stick in here.... You woild NEVER be able to single myself and daughters out. Don't be fooled into stupidity that Lakewood makes u believe. Happy to answer anything u want to know..
And I'm not saying it's entirely the best school in the world.. I honestly have no clue what the best is. But there's a lot of good there and silly to listen to everything everyone says... (I know what u feel like because I felt exactly the same way.. And after I sent my daughter there I said it's such a chaval pple think this way about good frum schools...)

Wow. Thank you.
So your happy there? Amazing.

Sewsew_mom

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 10:17 pm
lkwdlady88 wrote:
Wow. Thank you.
So your happy there? Amazing.

I have 2 daughters there. And so far the teachers are so vibrant and nice. The curriculum is on par and their learning alot. The principles are always smiling and know all the girls names and about them all. Always someone to speak to if necessary. no different clientele than tashbar except Noone really is very right wing like tashbar would have. But I wouldn't care cus that's not necessarily anything I care for. I love diversity but Lakewood people don't allow diverse. As soon as it's slightly diverse it's "bad". It was most certainly not my first choice of school.. But I still can't figure out why people say such things about the school and why I didn't wanna consider it as a choice.

#BestBubby

Post Mon, Dec 02 2019, 11:12 pm
lkwdlady88 wrote:
Sesame Street lol. That should be the worst thing any of our kids watch. 2020. Wake up....

If kids watch secular program like sesame street as little kids they will watch secular programs that are inappropriate as they get older.

Also, today I wouldn't be surprised if they had homosexuals and drag queens on sesame street, so nothing secular is safe in 2020.

DVOM

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 3:40 am
Welcome to 'Lakewood B', LL88!

I just wanted to chime in here with some thoughts...

I have no daughters, my boys go to YTT, the 'least yeshivish' boys school in town. It's very misleading. Lakewood's 'least yeshivish' boys school is significantly more yeshivish than the yeshivah's my siblings send to in Queens and Staten Island. We are so happy there. At the end of the day, I think it's important to be in a school that values you and your kids. The school we were desperate to get into didn't want us.

Instead of looking at the school's reputations (which will, I feel, be skewed due to the very competitive religious nature of Lakewood in general!) think about what you want in a school and see which of your options best fit the bill. It's important to remember that no school is going to meet your needs perfectly. Its more like shopping for an off the rack dress at a consignment store than designing a custom made gown. You are going to find something that works, but chances are your going to need to compromise.

I find it very interesting to hear that TCY has a reputation of being driven by the parent body. Why is that a bad thing? I think most Lakewood schools exert way too much control over the parent body. Why wouldn't a concerned, involved, passionate parent body be a wonderful asset to a school?

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 5:51 am
ll88, your first post was very validating. We interviewed there as well and left with a very bad taste in our mouths. It was our first interview with our first kid, so we weren’t sure if all these questions were the standard here in Lakewood. Apparently they’re not. We interviewed by another school and left very impressed with their hashkafos and the way the school is run.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 6:44 am
I used to have nieces in TCS (they have long graduated). My sisters say the principals and staff in TCS are the absolute best. I remember attending my nieces' graduations in TCS, and the warm feel of it was a far cry from my own girls' graduations in Bais Faiga, where it takes 1/2 hour just to call each girl up by name. You could see that the principals knew every girl personally and invested in them. My niece, who is B"AH a great girl, got accepted to 2 out of 3 high schools she applied to, because the principals put themselves out for her all the way. My best friend is a cousin to one of the principals of TCS, and she even says hello to ME at my friends' Simchas, because she knows me as the aunt of her students. That's how far the warmth and connection goes there. It blows my mind.

I will say that one of my sisters switched her younger daughters out to a different school, because the crowd at TCS shifted from what it was way back as Bnos Rivka, and the exposure and dress of some parents/girls bothered her. That's not to say you can't find parents in TCS who are as frum (or more so!) than in other schools, but you have to be comfortable with the diversity. A wise teacher in my daughter's high school (Bais Kaila) once told me once that kids look for friends based on personality - not type. So if your child is drawn to girls in the class whose Hashkafos don't match yours, you have to be able to handle that. If your child ends up in a class where it just so happens that there are not so many girls who are your type, you may find yourself dealing with a child who wants things that your family usually did not ascribe to.

I've heard that TCS is very stable as a school, and that's something very positive. I'm glad there's a school that is servicing the needs of different members of Lakewood's community. If it's a good fit for you, OP, then it's an excellent school to consider.

If you have any questions I can be of help with, please feel free to post here or PM me.

Hatzlacha with this headache called getting your kid into school...trust in Hashem that He WILL guide you to the right place, and B"EH your child will be in a good school for her and grow in a healthy way that is best for her.

BTW - with all the talk about Jackson people depending on Lakewood for schools, I would just mention that Neemas BY was opened this past year by a Jackson askan. So B"EH in the future, there may be some Jackson schools.....

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 6:50 am
DVOM wrote:
Welcome to 'Lakewood B', LL88!

I just wanted to chime in here with some thoughts...

I have no daughters, my boys go to YTT, the 'least yeshivish' boys school in town. It's very misleading. Lakewood's 'least yeshivish' boys school is significantly more yeshivish than the yeshivah's my siblings send to in Queens and Staten Island. We are so happy there. At the end of the day, I think it's important to be in a school that values you and your kids. The school we were desperate to get into didn't want us.

Instead of looking at the school's reputations (which will, I feel, be skewed due to the very competitive religious nature of Lakewood in general!) think about what you want in a school and see which of your options best fit the bill. It's important to remember that no school is going to meet your needs perfectly. Its more like shopping for an off the rack dress at a consignment store than designing a custom made gown. You are going to find something that works, but chances are your going to need to compromise.

I find it very interesting to hear that TCY has a reputation of being driven by the parent body. Why is that a bad thing? I think most Lakewood schools exert way too much control over the parent body. Why wouldn't a concerned, involved, passionate parent body be a wonderful asset to a school?

I just want to comment on two points in this excellent post. So true about Lakewood's schools being way more yeshivish than schools elsewhere. I remember reminding myself of this when I was applying to high schools for my oldest DD. I said to myself, big deal. Lakewood's most left school is not much different than the excellent BY I attended. (and let's not forget that my grandmothers both attended public schools as children. I'm so glad and grateful that my children can attend a frum school. I don't get all the hype and pressure.)

And in terms of your last paragraph, I agree that that's true of most schools in Lakewood. My own girls attend Bais Faiga, and I've seen new rules created over the past few years that did not exist when we started there...all created by pressure from a certain part of the parent body..all the regulation is driven by the parents, and pressure to accommodate them. I have heard this from the principal herself.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 8:53 am
Can someone please tell me what they ask by interviews ?

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 8:56 am
Okay, hold the phone!
I am really disturbed by this public denigration of Nachlas.
I send my daughter there and I am thrilled, and so is everyone else I know. The school is warm, friendly, and offers excellent academics. They have a school-wide middos program that runs throughout the year, with a different theme every year. Every girl I know comes home happy and goes to school happily every morning. The teachers that my daughter has had so far have been terrific, and Mrs. Smith cares about every girl. It's so nice to go to a siddur party or Chumash party and see her taking the time to schmooze with every mother and every girl, and you can see that she really gets to know the girls.
The parents that I've met are all really nice. A lot of out-of-towners, so you don't get the NY mentality (sorry NYers) or a focus on trends. I have a lot of friends in different schools and the Nachlas parent body is one of the more low-key, low-pressure schools.
Yes, the administration could use some new people skills. Our interview wasn't fabulous, but it was definitely better than what you describe. And we didn't get in right away either. We had a MUCH worse experience with one of the other schools mentioned on this thread. I won't get into it here because what's the point?

It's upsetting to see this school being trashed for every parent, every potential applicant, and every just-got-in new parent to see. Tone it down, people. Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean people shouldn't send their "nonexistent cat" there, never mind their very existent daughters.
FYI my boys go to Tashbar too.

**edited for an unseemly comment. Please edit if you quoted me. Thank you. Good luck, OP.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 9:07 am
“.,,, nice school, however you will find parents there (and not just a few of them) who are openly anti-Lakewood, anti-yeshivish, even (dare I say) anti-frum. A lot of embittered Lakewood rebels. If you want to be anti, do it quietly or move away, don't let it trickle down to your daughters and their classmates. (And yes, I've heard it firsthand from parents who send there, and who are not yeshivish at all.)”

Wow... lots of unhappy people
Why did they move to Lakewood if they are so anti yeshivish/Lakewood/frumkeit????
If it’s just to live in a bigger/ nicer home than it’s really sad that their children have to suffer and learn that being angry and rebellious is okay.. because it’s not!
I think above poster described what’s going on there well. Sounds like you have to be an anti Lakewood person to send there and if you are so anti then please rethink your move.
Please find a school where people have yiras shamayim, good middos and the people who are at peace with themselves.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 9:39 am

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:26 pm; edited 2 times in total

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 9:43 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Okay, hold the phone!
I am really disturbed by this public denigration of Nachlas.
I send my daughter there and I am thrilled, and so is everyone else I know. The school is warm, friendly, and offers excellent academics. They have a school-wide middos program that runs throughout the year, with a different theme every year. Every girl I know comes home happy and goes to school happily every morning. The teachers that my daughter has had so far have been terrific, and Mrs. Smith cares about every girl. It's so nice to go to a siddur party or Chumash party and see her taking the time to schmooze with every mother and every girl, and you can see that she really gets to know the girls.
The parents that I've met are all really nice. A lot of out-of-towners, so you don't get the NY mentality (sorry NYers) or a focus on trends. I have a lot of friends in different schools and the Nachlas parent body is one of the more low-key, low-pressure schools.
Yes, the administration could use some new people skills. Our interview wasn't fabulous, but it was definitely better than what you describe. And we didn't get in right away either. We had a MUCH worse experience with one of the other schools mentioned on this thread. I won't get into it here because what's the point?

It's upsetting to see this school being trashed for every parent, every potential applicant, and every just-got-in new parent to see. Tone it down, people. Just because you had a bad experience doesn't mean people shouldn't send their "nonexistent cat" there, never mind their very existent daughters.
FYI my boys go to Tashbar too.

Tehillas Chaya Sara is a nice school,

You lost me on your last paragraph.

I have heard nice things about Nachlas and I'm sure it's a great school and deserves good press here. But bashing TCS like that does not become you.

FTR - I know people who fit your description - being anti-Lakewood, anti-yeshivish, etc..in quite a few other schools in Lakewood too (they just had more pull, were related to the "right" people, or were placed by the Vaad, etc...). People live in Lakewood for many reasons (financial, family, etc...) and not everyone came here because they love BMG or the yeshivish community. Even so, they have a right to educate their children in Jewish schools. Bashing a particular school that happens to service some of them is L"H - plain and simple.

Last edited by Chayalle on Tue, Dec 03 2019, 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 9:48 am
I send to YTT which has a name as more to the left. We are so happy there.

At a recent PTA, I looked around, and all the parents looked just fine to me. The women were tznius, the men looked very fine.. Honestly, I just don't see what the fuss is all about. You definitely don't get tons of very yeshivish learning families, but geez. Everyone is frum, looks fine.. I mentioned it to my husband, like what is wrong here - nothing! And then he pointed out to me one person he knows who learns in the morning before work, and after work and learns so much. And another person's well-known maasim tovim.. I was wowed and proud to be among the parent body. All this fuss, it gets to a point where its just so ridiculous. Sure, you want to send to schools where you fit in, but to think that another Lkwd school is SOOO different?? Puleeze. We're all frum, we're all trying to do the right thing, we all mess up sometimes, and get it right the other times.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 9:49 am
Sewsew_mom wrote:
But how amazing that all the anti frum parents send their kids only to TCS and are non existent in any other Lakewood school. The reason why TCS is known to be left wing is because they accept people like me who don't want to fake my life and pretend I wear a short wig, and cover my knees just for school. I actually cover my hair with a longer wig and cover my knees in or out of school. And fathers should only wear white shirts and be learning... Here fathers work hard for a living and wear blue shirts instead And that's a horrible thing for Lakewood. But anti frum? Rebellious? Bad middos? It's a solid good school and chaval people make bad names from hearing untrue things. Oh and a side note.. My daughter comes home with a smile on her face and has lots of friends which is more important for the growth of a child and her self esteem.

Edit. I apologize. Please edit my quoted post.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 9:52 am
Chayalle wrote:
You lost me on your last paragraph.

I have heard nice things about Nachlas and I'm sure it's a great school and deserves good press here. But bashing TCS like that does not become you.

FTR - I know people who fit your description - being anti-Lakewood, anti-yeshivish, etc..in quite a few other schools in Lakewood too (they just had more pull, were related to the "right" people, or were placed by the Vaad, etc...). People live in Lakewood for many reasons (financial, family, etc...) and not everyone came here because they love BMG or the yeshivish community. Even so, they have a right to educate their children in Jewish schools. Bashing a particular school that happens to service some of them is L"H - plain and simple.

You know what? You're right. I'm going to edit. Anyone who quoted me please edit as well.
Thank you.

amother
Gray

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 10:06 am

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jan 23 2020, 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 10:13 am
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
You know what? You're right. I'm going to edit. Anyone who quoted me please edit as well.
Thank you.

Done Applause
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics