Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
2 yo sleep regression after being sick

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 7:30 pm
This is so stressful. My 2.5 yr old was finally sleeping through the night for a few months.
Then he got sick (cough, cold) and was uncomfortable and unable to sleep in his crib so I let him in my bed for a few days.
Now I'm stuck and he just cries and cries if I put him in the crib.
I am so frustrated and losing patience!!! Please help.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 7:41 pm
Sorry but you created a 2 year old monster. IMO taking him in your bed is mistake #1. Of course he’s going to cry when you put him in his crib. He has just what he wants. It’ll take a few days but he’ll be fine. But tell yourself not to let this happen again

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 7:45 pm
amother [ Pumpkin ] wrote:
Sorry but you created a 2 year old monster. IMO taking him in your bed is mistake #1. Of course he’s going to cry when you put him in his crib. He has just what he wants. It’ll take a few days but he’ll be fine. But tell yourself not to let this happen again

What was I supposed to do, let him be in pain alone in his crib? Confused

Tzutzie

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 7:50 pm

Seriously? A 2 yo monster?

Op, you cuddled your son and was there for him when he needed you. Go you!
But you need a firm hand now. First make sure he's comfy and feels safe. Then just put him back in as soon as he comes out and soothingly remind him that you're there and now is sleepy time. It might take some time but he'll get it...
Also, in the morning you can give him a orize or a sticker because he slept so nicely in his bed. Then ar night remind him if what will be tomorrow morning when he gets the prize/treat......
Good luck.

wifeandmore

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 8:36 pm

Monster?????????? Is this sarcasm that I'm not getting?

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 8:40 pm
The word monster can never be applied to a toddler.
At this point you need to sleep train him again. Ferber style might work well for this. It will take a few days and all will be well.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 8:59 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What was I supposed to do, let him be in pain alone in his crib? Confused

No of course not. Cuddle with him on the couch. On the carpet. In a rocking chair. But don’t bring him to your bed. Unless you don’t mind him being in your bed. Habits are hard to break for both mother and baby.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Dec 03 2019, 9:00 pm
Has no one heard the expression ‘you created a monster’? Banging head

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 4:10 am

We all did, but it seemed a bit harsh for use on a 2 year old...

Of course I tried cuddling him on the chair in his room etc but he would not fall asleep. This was very unusual for him.

amother
Amethyst

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 6:27 am

I just want to say that I think maybe tone got lost on this thread. I totally understood you, pumpkin. These miscommunications happen online, a LOT.

P.s. I even call my own 18 month a monster when hes cranky and teething and off his sleep schedule. But I love him to pieces- no one doubts it. Guess this "expression" isnt used in some circles

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 7:38 am
amother [ Amethyst ] wrote:
I just want to say that I think maybe tone got lost on this thread. I totally understood you, pumpkin. These miscommunications happen online, a LOT.

P.s. I even call my own 18 month a monster when hes cranky and teething and off his sleep schedule. But I love him to pieces- no one doubts it. Guess this "expression" isnt used in some circles

I hope you don't call him a monster without adding something that clearly implies you are joking, such as "mommy's cutest little monster."

Just seems wrong to me. Your kids will pick it up at a young age, trust me.

trixx

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 7:52 am
What. About giving him a bed instead of a crib, isn't he kind of old for that? Also I think Ferber is always cruel but at 2.5 he should be able to communicate so even more so
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics