Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Different jewelry question

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 1:06 pm
I had a somewhat sentimental sapphire earring & necklace set that part of it went missing in my house. I missed wearing it and got a gift card to Amazon where it had been initially purchased and bought a new set. I had been hoping that it would go along the line of "Murphy's law of lost objects"--that when you buy something to replace the missing object the original would turn up and I could just return it. But several months had gone by and return window had closed and the original hadn't shown up so I just started wearing it. Just recently the original earrings showed up so I don't need 2 identical earring-necklace sets. It's not a $1K but it is valued at over $100--and still pretty mint condition. What would be the best way to recoup the value as we could use any available cash? Amazon? Ebay? Pawn? Jewelry store?

amother
Copper

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 1:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I had a somewhat sentimental sapphire earring & necklace set that part of it went missing in my house. I missed wearing it and got a gift card to Amazon where it had been initially purchased and bought a new set. I had been hoping that it would go along the line of "Murphy's law of lost objects"--that when you buy something to replace the missing object the original would turn up and I could just return it. But several months had gone by and return window had closed and the original hadn't shown up so I just started wearing it. Just recently the original earrings showed up so I don't need 2 identical earring-necklace sets. It's not a $1K but it is valued at over $100--and still pretty mint condition. What would be the best way to recoup the value as we could use any available cash? Amazon? Ebay? Pawn? Jewelry store?

You're never going to recoup the value. If its worth $100, and you paid $80, why on earth would anyone give you $80 instead of buying new? Can they be sure of being able to return to you if there's a problem? If it breaks in 6 months, will you stand behind the product?

You could try ebay, but I don't know how much you would get. I'd gift it to someone, perhaps a daughter if you have one, or donate it to a school auction and take it as maaser.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 2:03 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
You're never going to recoup the value. If its worth $100, and you paid $80, why on earth would anyone give you $80 instead of buying new? Can they be sure of being able to return to you if there's a problem? If it breaks in 6 months, will you stand behind the product?

You could try ebay, but I don't know how much you would get. I'd gift it to someone, perhaps a daughter if you have one, or donate it to a school auction and take it as maaser.

I live in a small community and it might look weird for someone to have an identical set to me and its not going to be appropriate for my daughter for quite some time. New its over $100. That's kind of why I was thinking maybe a pawn shop. We have one not too far from us that's not super sketchy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics