Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Trying to get rid of screen time

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 8:53 pm
My three year old has been allowed 30 minutes of screen time during the week and an hour on weekends. We’ve noticed that she becomes more irritable after watching and will often have a tantrum when it’s time to shut it off.

This week, I stopped all screen time by implementing a more structured family schedule that includes lots of fun options for her to keep her occupied and not asking to watch.

My question is about erev Shabbos. Usually, I let her watch while I’m preparing. I don’t want to do that this week. Does anyone have ideas for what I can do with her that doesn’t make a mess and allows me to finish Shabbos prep? I already included a visit to the library with older siblings so reading more at home would probably be overkill. I’m figuring I need to fill about 1.5 hours. Thanks!

naomi2

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:02 pm
Naki radio

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:03 pm
What are those "lots of fun options"?

Would love ideas, my toddler has waaay too much screen time!

imatomsrivermom

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 9:17 pm
Same, would love to hear diff activities to do

Especially for a 5-6 year old who’s the oldest

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:01 pm
not op but I have a 5 year old. currently she loves to read, paint by sticker, regular painting, picture finds, pretend math h.w, jump on trampoline while listening to music

she enjoys " bop it" which is electronic

imatomsrivermom

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:07 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
not op but I have a 5 year old. currently she loves to read, paint by sticker, regular painting, picture finds, pretend math h.w, jump on trampoline while listening to music

she enjoys " bop it" which is electronic

Love the ideas, he’s a boy so he likes more action

But bop it sounds great as does paint by sticker

amother
Mustard

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:11 pm
yeah the paint by sticker has all sorts of pictures. We have animals, unicorns, I think birds but I think they also have cars...

my older daughter went through a phase where she loved clicks, other kids love lego or kapla, basically figure out a building toy he might like. how about a trainset?

we also have "simon" but she's not as in to it.

we also have a backyard playground, where my kids can go on the swings, monkey bars... and also an indoor swing in our basementnot sure if those are options

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:37 pm
I gave a choice of different types of activities-art, reading, board game, toys. We’ve only been doing this for a couple of days so granted the lots of fun activities could get boring over time lol. Hoping I can be creative until screen time is not as much of a thought anymore. So far I’ve offered playdough, a poster board to color and decorate with stickers, a new board game, LEGOs.

On Friday, doing a painting activity would get too messy. I could do clicks but I doubt it’ll keep her entertained for over an hour. I could start with that though. I have no backyard or basement playroom.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:38 pm
Naki radio sounds like an interesting option

erm

Post Wed, Dec 04 2019, 10:47 pm
my boys (ages 3 and 5) play with magna tiles and magformers. They also get shabbos cleaning activities to do like wash the steps, vacuum small area rugs, put toys away, they actually like to help out when its presented in a fun way.

chestnut

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 12:05 am
Coloring with crayons/coloring pencils instead of painting? Coloring books?

shanarishona

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 1:05 am
Listen to cds like marvelous middos shmuel kunda etc

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 8:22 am
I just ordered an mp3 player, does anyone have suggestions for cheap speakers to have my dd's use with it so that they can listen to stuff?

Aylat

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 9:04 am
Listening to music or an audiobook while playing with toys might stretch out that time longer. There's a lot of good stuff to listen to on youtube, you can put it on the iPad or your phone and then leave it high up so he can't reach the screen.

imatomsrivermom

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 9:11 am
Aylat wrote:
Listening to music or an audiobook while playing with toys might stretch out that time longer. There's a lot of good stuff to listen to on youtube, you can put it on the iPad or your phone and then leave it high up so he can't reach the screen.

I like this idea!

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 9:35 am
My kids never have screen time. I have huge boxes of cicks, lego, kapla, Mentchies, Puzzles, Dolls and carriages etc. They play with this. I also allow Friday afternoon for a cousin to come over so they have company. They love it. Or to get the neighbors to play.
I don't judge people who do give. But I just never introduced them this option so they never ask. On Fridays I try to include them in my preparations. Like standing next to me on a stool and them putting in the ingredients etc. I also have a whole bunch of stories on a stick which they listen to a lot.

Ora in town

Post Mon, Jun 08 2020, 6:27 am
Games: together: catch the mouse, memory, quartets, old clothes & costumes for dressup, puppet theater (you could make your own & invent stories), shaddow theater,

alone or together: 20-100 piece puzzles, wood train, lego, wood marble track, kapla, click, Matador (wood construction game), playmobile, electric car race track, model sets to put together and paint, build & fly a kite, dominoes (build and let fall), towers with square cardboard coasters, (jenga), make coasters with pearls,
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics