Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Unusual strep symptoms - just a little PSA
1  2  3  4  Next

applesbananas

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:08 pm
Ive learned so many interesting and helpful tidbits from this site. If this can help another mother out that would make me so happy!
My daughter has been complaining about an itchy tushy for prob 2-3 weeks now. I wish I would have known that it's an unusual symptom of strep throat! After checking her for pinworms twice, not finding any (yet treating her prophylacticly as recommended by the PA at urgent care) I finally took her to the doctor and bh he figured out what it was!
Post the interesting ways strep presents itself in your child(ren)...

amother
Powderblue

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:13 pm
good call.

my child has had (not all at once):

twitches
bed wetting
day wetting
stiff necks
behavioral issues
irrational fears

not once a sore throat or fever.

missknowitall

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:19 pm
If my kids ever complain too long about anything I test them for strep. Leg pain, headaches, stomachaches, new behavior, irritability etc... I find that strep can look like anything

mammala120

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:19 pm
Hoarse voice with enlarged tonsils

Lung wheezing

Leg and body pain. Weakness with no other symptoms

amother
Coffee

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:23 pm
My DS was 8 years old the first time he had strep. He complained of a sore throat but I assumed it was just a cold for 3 days. My kids had never had strep before. I feel bad that he was in pain and I didn't get it treated. Now I know.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:27 pm
One kid throws up. Another just gets totally behaviorally wacko. No classic symptoms in this house!

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:29 pm
One of mine had a general lack of energy, and nothing else. Her teacher recommended checking for strep. It would never have occurred to me.

nicole81

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:33 pm
I learned today of a child who presents with diarrhea when they have strep. And their doctor told them it's a hallmark symptom.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:35 pm
My 2 year old had very low fever, only evening/nights and then was totally fine during the day. Happy and playing. This went on for 3 nights. When we took his sister to the dr for something he came along, and they swabbed him just in case. Turns out he had strep

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:42 pm
just a little psa, if your kid gets behavioral symptoms with strep, that's pandas.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:54 pm
Pimples on their private parts
Pimples on their face or knees
Bad diaper rash
Pain in legs or ankles
Vomiting
Bad stomache
Fever
Headache
Sore throat
Swollen glands
Sore “muscles”

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 10:54 pm
amother [ Coffee ] wrote:
My DS was 8 years old the first time he had strep. He complained of a sore throat but I assumed it was just a cold for 3 days. My kids had never had strep before. I feel bad that he was in pain and I didn't get it treated. Now I know.

Sore throat is not an unusual strep symptom Can't Believe It

sky

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 11:34 pm
Severe leg pain (couldn’t walk)
Sores behind the ear
Accidents (wet and bowel)

Odelyah

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 11:34 pm
not the most unusual but as I remember as a child I always had a headache and stomachache at the same time, and it was strep

a big one for my kids is achy legs.. also glassy eyes

when I have it I feel really weak like it takes so much effort to walk up stairs...

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Dec 05 2019, 11:56 pm
Since when did strep become so virulent and all inclusive. I hear of so many PANDAS cases. Is it because its mutating from constantly being exposed to antibiotics? Is it becoming more and more resilient and making kids sicker. Strep was not an issue when I was growing up. I barely heard of it and I'm in my late 30s

Odelyah

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:00 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
Since when did strep become so virulent and all inclusive. I hear of so many PANDAS cases. Is it because its mutating from constantly being exposed to antibiotics? Is it becoming more and more resilient and making kids sicker. Strep was not an issue when I was growing up. I barely heard of it and I'm in my late 30s

Where did you grow up? I'm in my late 40's and I had it all the time when I was a kid. But mostly they called it tonsilitis. but it was strep.

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:03 am
Odelyah wrote:
Where did you grow up? I'm in my late 40's and I had it all the time when I was a kid. But mostly they called it tonsilitis. but it was strep.

Pennsylvania. Did you ever hear of anyone having behavioral symptoms or any of the "unusual" symptoms in this thread that was associated with tonsillitis? Only thing that was ever spoken of was rheumatic fever from strep. Now it causes every symptom under the son, including PANDAS which mothers here are describing as "hell". What's changed??

thunderstorm

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:05 am
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:

I am in my late 30s and I had Strep all the time.
My mother had Strep that traveled to her joints and she couldn’t walk for a month . She was put on Penicillin daily for 7 yrs. This was when I was a little kid.

amother
Mint

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 1:20 am
None of my crew had normal symptoms. The only way we ever caught on that they had it was when my oldest would stop eating - his appetite would just drop dramatically when he had strep. Then we'd bring him in to be checked (and, once we caught on to the pattern, brought the others along, too).

The doctor would check him, and if he was positive for strep the doctor would then check whoever else I had brought in. We didn't start out that way, but once we realized that my others showed no symptoms at all, we just ran with it. I think once one of mine complained of a bad sore throat, but that was really unusual for our bunch.

amother
Royalblue

Post Fri, Dec 06 2019, 1:33 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
None of my crew had normal symptoms. The only way we ever caught on that they had it was when my oldest would stop eating - his appetite would just drop dramatically when he had strep. Then we'd bring him in to be checked (and, once we caught on to the pattern, brought the others along, too).

The doctor would check him, and if he was positive for strep the doctor would then check whoever else I had brought in. We didn't start out that way, but once we realized that my others showed no symptoms at all, we just ran with it. I think once one of mine complained of a bad sore throat, but that was really unusual for our bunch.

Funny. One of my kids does the same. No complaining of anything but just simply stops eating.
Another odd symptom is waking up at night for a cup of water. Just a cup of water has my alarm bells ringing. Other stuff as mentioned, bedwetting, diarrhea, headaches, rash, stomachaches and really uncharacteristic behavior. One child literally becomes crazy. I am always vigilant and have to notice if theres any difference in their behavior since they dont manifest with throat pain.

Sadly strep is a very very sore topic in this household. Antibiotic doesnt help long term and it keeps festering and going around non stop. Ive tried every vitamin and alternative treatments out there With thousands of dollars spent. We never, ever share any food, cups or cutlery. I stopped using hand towels and go thru towel paper by the dozen. And still we are on this journey.
I just wanted to add that ive only been experiencing this since the birth of one particular child. He is the one who keeps passing it on to my other kids.
Im welcoming any tips for a cure.
(Interestingly, ive read an article that says that some kids can be genetically predisposed to recurring strep and that their body is simply unable to fight it. I have many nieces and nephews going thru this so its entirely possible.)
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics