Home

Att NY'ers

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 9:54 am
Homeschool is under attack. NY Assemblyman DiPietro referred to a plan to "outlaw homeschooling" and after lengthy conversations with him, it became clear that those in power in Albany would like to see more regulations on homeschooling, and they wouldn't mind if it becomes nearly impossible to legally homeschool in NY.

It's time to rise up, parents of NYS, and FIGHT FOR PARENTAL RIGHTS!!!
Back to top

shmosmom




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:05 am
I don't homeschool and don't think I ever would but I believe the option should be available to those who choose to/ have to.
Ridiculous.
Back to top

amother




White
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:19 am
There have been horrific instances where abusive parents used the cover of homeschooling to stay under the radar (à la Turpin family).
The authorities are obligated to protect vulnerable children.
I am a homeschooler in a different country. After the Turpin children were rescued, new legislation was tabled. In addition to creating a detailed learning plan for the year, we have two annual in-person monitoring meetings. We also must submit a comprehensive portfolio at the end of the academic year & the children must present themselves for standardized testing. I don't view the stricter requirements as an infringement on my parental rights. I will gladly participate if even one child will be saved from a horrible situation.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:31 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
There have been horrific instances where abusive parents used the cover of homeschooling to stay under the radar (à la Turpin family).
The authorities are obligated to protect vulnerable children.
I am a homeschooler in a different country. After the Turpin children were rescued, new legislation was tabled. In addition to creating a detailed learning plan for the year, we have two annual in-person monitoring meetings. We also must submit a comprehensive portfolio at the end of the academic year & the children must present themselves for standardized testing. I don't view the stricter requirements as an infringement on my parental rights. I will gladly participate if even one child will be saved from a horrible situation.

Do you know the current homeschooling requirements in NYS? They are already one of the most restrictive and regulated in the country, requiring annual notification, quarterly reports and annual assessment. Subjects taught are mandated by the state.
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:33 am
It should be allowed but should have oversight.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:35 am
southernbubby wrote:
It should be allowed but should have oversight.

It is still allowed and it currently has more oversight than many other states in this country.
For an assembly member to talk about additional regulations on homeschooling when we already have so much oversight, that is OVERREACH and infringement on FREEDOM.

NYS, you are disappointing me big time. If not for my family here, I'd have moved out of state in June.
Back to top

amother




White
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Do you know the current homeschooling requirements in NYS? They are already one of the most restrictive and regulated in the country, requiring annual notification, quarterly reports and annual assessment. Subjects taught are mandated by the state.


Annual notification & quarterly reports are paperwork. They do not protect vulnerable children. Who performs the assessment?
When the new regulations were implemented where I live, there was pushback from the homeschooling community regarding the need to conform to the government-set curriculum. There was widespread support for the required in-person monitoring meetings. I am happy to submit to increased scrutiny for the greater good.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:42 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
Annual notification & quarterly reports are paperwork. They do not protect vulnerable children. Who performs the assessment?
When the new regulations were implemented where I live, there was pushback from the homeschooling community regarding the need to conform to the government-set curriculum. There was widespread support for the required in-person monitoring meetings. I am happy to submit to increased scrutiny for the greater good.

If you don't live here and don't already submit to our bureaucracy, perhaps you shouldn't be stating your irrelevant opinion. In any case, there's talk of outlawing homeschooling altogether. Is that not a reason for concern?
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:44 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It is still allowed and it currently has more oversight than many other states in this country.
For an assembly member to talk about additional regulations on homeschooling when we already have so much oversight, that is OVERREACH and infringement on FREEDOM.

NYS, you are disappointing me big time. If not for my family here, I'd have moved out of state in June.


So who do you want us to contact? Do you have official links of the proposed legislation?
Back to top

southernbubby




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:46 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you don't live here and don't already submit to our bureaucracy, perhaps you shouldn't be stating your irrelevant opinion. In any case, there's talk of outlawing homeschooling altogether. Is that not a reason for concern?


It is a reason for concern but advocates need to provide an avenue for fellow citizens to address it. I live in Rockland county.
Back to top

amother




White
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 10:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you don't live here and don't already submit to our bureaucracy, perhaps you shouldn't be stating your irrelevant opinion. In any case, there's talk of outlawing homeschooling altogether. Is that not a reason for concern?


As a passionate homeschooler & advocate, I frequently check out the homeschooling forum. My apologies for posting my "irrelevant opinion" and derailing your rabble-rousing. I mistakenly assumed that you wanted to discuss the implications of increased regulation.

I will leave you with one last piece of unsolicited advice. I have been directly involved in negotiations with government officials and have made several presentations at government hearings. If you want to be heard and to truly effect change, remember that divrei chachamim b'nachas nishmain.
Back to top

Bruria




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
If you don't live here and don't already submit to our bureaucracy, perhaps you shouldn't be stating your irrelevant opinion. In any case, there's talk of outlawing homeschooling altogether. Is that not a reason for concern?

I think it is a reason for concern. I don't homeschool, but I think every parent should have that option.Like, what if your kids don't have good schools available where you live or even if a child is unhappy in school, parents should have this option. I think it's terrible if they want to outlaw homeschooling.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 12:16 pm
southernbubby wrote:
So who do you want us to contact? Do you have official links of the proposed legislation?

I don't think any legistlation has been proposed yet. It seems like this is in the stage of backroom discussions, and we need to stay vigilant.

This email was sent to some homeschooling parents. https://mailchi.mp/nysleah/wil.....LgayE
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 2:08 pm
amother [ White ] wrote:
As a passionate homeschooler & advocate, I frequently check out the homeschooling forum. My apologies for posting my "irrelevant opinion" and derailing your rabble-rousing. I mistakenly assumed that you wanted to discuss the implications of increased regulation.

I will leave you with one last piece of unsolicited advice. I have been directly involved in negotiations with government officials and have made several presentations at government hearings. If you want to be heard and to truly effect change, remember that divrei chachamim b'nachas nishmain.

Not in NYS. Being nicety nice to legistlators the past 5 years has gotten us nowhere. Many have refused to meet with constituents and some who did and gave their word to vote against certain bills, changed their mind and back-stabbed by voting for. Instead we're getting even more restrictive bills. It's time our voices are heard; there are many of us concerned about parental rights, and they need to realize the implication and widespread effect of the laws they create and pass.

You can be a passionate homeschooler, but if you're not familiar with the climate here, your opinion is still irrelevant. We're not discussing the implications of increased regulation in an unrestricted environment. We are discussing increased restriction in an already restricted situation with the intention of making it impossible. I'm sorry you got offended; my intention is not to hurt you. It's frustrating to be told that certain laws are for your own benefit when those people aren't living your situation.
Back to top

amother




Slateblue
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 3:28 pm
Is this another way to get more parents to vaccinate?
Back to top

trixx




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Dec 06 2019, 3:36 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Is this another way to get more parents to vaccinate?


This was my first thought.
Religious exemption now being removed in NJ too.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Sat, Dec 07 2019, 6:12 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
Is this another way to get more parents to vaccinate?

It hasn't been confirmed by anyone in power, but to me it seems so. Many parents' response to the removal of the religious exemption in June was to pull their kids from school and to home school. The state is apparently not happy with that response; it was the "wrong" choice to make when given the option of vaccinating or homeschooling. Hence, an attack on homeschoolers. Push those pesky parents into a corner, instead of respecting a parents' right to choose.
Back to top
Recent Topics

Page 1 of 1 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Att moms of twins!!
by amother
7 Sat, Jan 18 2020, 8:52 pm View last post
ATT: make up artists and junkies : )
by amother
37 Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:56 pm View last post
Att: Wig Stylists - Question
by amother
13 Thu, Jul 18 2019, 11:27 am View last post
ATT London IMAmothers
by hannaxx
1 Tue, Jul 09 2019, 7:24 am View last post
Att: Five Towns Imas- Cedarhurst sidewalk sale 4 Mon, Jul 08 2019, 3:23 pm View last post

Jump to: