Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Would you buy a house with no basement
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 11:04 pm
It’s big on both floors. Upstairs has 7 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms - 2 showers and 1 with a tub. Bedrooms aren’t huge but will fit 2 twin beds, one will fit 2 full beds. Downstairs has 1 half bathroom, kitchen that’s old and needs to be gutted eventually, playroom and living room/dining room. About 4,000 square feet all together. What’s the pro of having a basement?

amother
Honeydew

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 11:35 pm
Sounds like a lot of nice space!
Basements are often used for storage and utilities as well as extra living space but all
of that can go elsewhere if you have the space.
One consideratiin is that depending on the kind of foundation it can make construction more complicated. With a slab foundation there is no way to run piping or wiring under the floor without breaking it with a jackhammer (in my understanding). Of you are renovating or even for repairs this may be an added challenge. Not necessarily not doable but more complicated. I would recommend asking a contractor for their opinion. If there is a crawlspace under the floor then this is a non-issue. On the other hand slab foundations are supposed to be very strong.
Either way, good luck with your decision and enjoy your new home!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Dec 07 2019, 11:50 pm
If the area is prone to flooding, lack of a basement can be a real advantage.

It sounds like there should be plenty of space, which is one of the main reasons why people want basements.

Wife1

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 12:01 am
A lot of people have basements to rent out to help with mortgage payments. If you can afford the house as is then go for it

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 12:05 am
Does it have a garage?

sky

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 12:12 am
Wife1 wrote:
A lot of people have basements to rent out to help with mortgage payments. If you can afford the house as is then go for it

This isn’t legal everywhere.

Basements Are great for guest rooms or storage or extra play area. It sounds like this house has a lot of space instead.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 1:20 am
Is there a playroom in the house?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 1:24 am
Most homes in israel dont have basements and its no big deal.
You make do with the space there is.
Nobody needs a basement.

M0mmy

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 1:50 am
I personally think the main purpose of a basement is storage. Does the house have an attic or a shed? No-one wants to give up a bedroom to store things - like a sukkah, bikes, strollers, not to mention extra grocery items (non-perishables and paper goods), etc. I have a friend who rents the main floor and upstairs of a house, with no access to the basement (owner maintains access - lives on other side of the semi and I guess uses it?). The way the house is laid out, she only has 1 bathroom, and to me it feels like a glorified apartment - 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, with slightly larger living space (though kitchen is tiny, and they took more of the kitchen up to put in washer/dryer). I told my husband that though it b"H isn't nogeya to us, I wouldn't be interested in renting such a place - would rather the 3BR, 2BA apartments over that!

Kiwi13

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 3:16 am
Depends where. Florida? Yes. Midwest? No WAY!

Ruchel

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 4:40 am
sure, most don't have

myself

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 6:37 am
Ruchel wrote:
sure, most don't have

(If your Lilypie ticker is accurate...Mazel Tov on your baby's birthday, Ruchel!)

OP, the house sounds big as it is so yes, I would go for it even without the basement.
Good luck on your decision and enjoy your new home.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:00 am
Do the homes in the neighborhood also not have basements? If this home is the only one, it will effect the value when you want to sell.
Is there an attic for storage and a large mudroom on the first floor for easy access storage? Laundry room big enough to hang dry and store? Keep in mind you need a space for bikes, suitcases, an extra freezer, sukkah, pesach storage.
Is the foundation solid or will leaks end up in the house instead of in the basement?
There are workable solutions to all but they have to be thought out. Just consider these. Otherwise it sounds wonderfully spacious and I think I'd love not having to deal with a damp basement.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:04 am
We have a tiny basement compared to the footprint of our house. It was done to maximize living space.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:11 am
Love a basement because that’s where guests stay. Not on my fooor in my space

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 9:11 am
Also personally love it for laundry.

SingALong

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 11:02 am
I live in similar amount of square footage, also with playroom on first floor, lr/dr, but 5 bedrooms, not 7. laundry is on second floor with bedrooms.

I rent out my basement so I don't really use that space. I do have 1 spare bedroom and bathroom for guests used occasionally, which it seems you would have room for since you already have 7 bedrooms on second floor, (obviously, depending on your family size, how many bedrooms you'll use.) I also have a storage room in the basement, just enough for some shelves/ and an extra freezer. I think you will need that. if you have a large closet on your first floor for extra storage, and a garage or someplace to put an extra freezer, then I don't think you'll need a basement.

amother
Amber

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 11:14 am
I would take one of the bedrooms and add it to the master bedroom suite. You need more space.

The basement is no biggie. We give out our basement and the second fridge near the Pesach kitchen.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 11:14 am
There is a garage for the freezer and storage. One of the bedrooms has a pull down attic for storage too.
I guess my biggest thing is having guest on the same floor as us.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Dec 08 2019, 11:16 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
There is a garage for the freezer and storage. One of the bedrooms has a pull down attic for storage too.
I guess my biggest thing is having guest on the same floor as us.

Does the floor plan on the 1st floor allow for a guestroom? Can you put in a sofa bed in the living room and a door that can be closed?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating