Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do you think this is able to be done?
Previous  1  2

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 6:55 pm
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
That's gross; OP cited net.

Right, and her numbers were likely approximate, so I can't really know what their gross is. So she should check for herself.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:13 pm
amother [ Slateblue ] wrote:
https://otda.ny.gov/programs/snap/
Hovering around the cutoff. Definitely worth looking into!

SNAP wouldn't work but OP may likely be eligible for WIC and daycare. On such a tight budget every bit of WIC foods would help.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:30 pm
Hey, op here,
I live out of the US (I don't want to say exactly where because I don't want to give away who I am for people who know me....)
We have free healthcare where I live and although we probably would qualify for wellfare, we can't apply right now because we are planning to apply for the equivalent of a green card here for my husband....
And we do qualify for help with child care subsidy but we can not apply until we apply for my husband's papers .... So might take another few months.
I posted the amounts in the equivalent of us dollars, but we are not earning us dollars.
I did receive a big chunk of money from the government for being in school and we get benefits for having a child as well (but it's sporadic so I didn't wnat to rely on that as our income and include it in our budget....) Also, I got an interest free loan from school but I'm afraid to use it (but it's there for backup)
Plus we do have some us dollars savings (about 15000) which is a lot, I know, but my husband refuses to use that money unless we really need it but I guess I'm wondering what counts as really needing it. Like what qualifies as necessary purchases vs impulse buys.....
I think making a good budget and sticking to it would help us but we both have trouble doing that.
I will look into starting up my home business again, that will help a bit.

We spend between 400-500 a month on groceries+ shopping (like for paper goods, soap etc)
But thats not even with trying too hard, because we are only 2 adults and one toddler who barely eats anything (she's been like that since she was born) and we eat shabbos at my parents a lot or just make 2 pieces of shnitzel and make a chicken salad or wraps.
Rent includes all utilities including internet.

Does anyone maybe have practical budgeting/kosher frugal menu plans and shopping list. It's so hard for me to plan these things myself, I want someone to just tell me what to buy each week that's under 100$ for nice full meals.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:42 pm
If you have the option of an interest free loan definitely keep that in mind as a backup. Even if you are extremely frugal, emergencies come up, so you really do have to have access to emergency funds somewhere. It's totally worth it to borrow if that means you will be able to get a better job when you finish.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics