Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Autistic child/anxiety and dentist dr. figdor/lakewood

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:12 pm
so the subject says a lot. she has severe anxiety and yet shes being treated and in therapy. shes doing alot better. im wondering if he would be good for a child with high anxiety. a lot of patience and talk to her to help her through. someone who is very calm. is he that type? im looking for that in particular. anyone can help me with this please post. thank you so much!

CHMother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 2:10 pm
Yes, I think so.

I had a traumatizing experience at another dentist with my anxious 3 year old (and no, it wasn't because he was anxious - their behavior was, in Dr. Figdor's secretary's words, "criminal.")

Before going to Dr. Figdor, I grilled them about all the different possibilities and how they would react in each case. The woman I spoke to gave excellent answers. They were actually the first dentist practice in Lakewood to deal with children with special needs and he still sees many special needs children today. He also does charity missions in third world countries, treating poor children free of charge.

The staff members have a lot of patience, and they have a cute little therapy dog on premises when he is (which they introduce very slowly to avoid it becoming potential source of anxiety!) that the children can hold if they want during treatment.

When I went, they were so nice. The dentist who saw us (Dr. Figdor's daughter) shmoozed with my son and didn't do anything until he was comfortable. Even once he was calm, she continued shmoozing and humoring him. He didn't want to go on the chair so she had me go on it and hold him in my lap, which he loved. I even held him on my lap for x-rays!

At the end, he got 2 prizes from the token machine, a sticker, and a "mitzva note" for his Morah. I also let him put a bunch of coins in the spinning pushka that's there to round it off as a great experience that he would have fond memories of. We haven't met the puppy yet so I booked our next appt for a time when she will be around.

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 3:01 pm
There’s no therapy dog in Lakewood, maybe in Brooklyn

CHMother

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 5:07 pm
I was told otherwise. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

amother [ Copper ] wrote:
There’s no therapy dog in Lakewood, maybe in Brooklyn

amother
Copper

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 5:12 pm
My kids are patients there.. there’s no dog!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children