Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Does This Mean She’s Ready?

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:42 pm
My just turned 17 month old lately tells me every time she poops in her pamper . She will go run and get a clean pamper for me to change her. She also woke up a few times during the night from her sleep and cried asking me to change her pamper because it was wet. (She’s very verbal). Does this mean she’s ready to start toilet training? I did have one kid (a boy) who started toilet training at 17 months when he saw a toddler I used to care for, use the potty and he wanted to try it too.
So I’m wondering if this is normal 17 month old behavior or is she just ready to be toilet trained, or is it too early and pointless? Anyone know?

shmosmom

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:45 pm
You can try if you want to, but it is very early. Be prepared to have to try again in a half year or so.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:49 pm
It's common at that age for kids to say when they're wet or dirty. But they will only tell you after they made, not when they need to make. You can try you're luck now but it might take a while and she'll very possibly fall back in afew months.

Busy@mom

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 1:54 pm
My son did that at 21 months. I was so positive that he was ready and I gave it a try. But it was definitely a mistake. After trying for a week I decided that I’m giving up. Only problem was that he still had lots of willpower and didn’t wanna go back to pampers. Basically I had a miserable 2 week fight with him.
I’m not saying that your kid isn’t ready. Just sharing my experience.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 2:02 pm
Thanks for the input. I will rather wait then. I’m in no rush to deal with this anyway 😀.

jfk92

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 2:10 pm
Hi my son is very verbal as well. He tells you make and pee whenever he does it.that started around 16.5 months. Hes 18 months now. He loves to pee on the toilet so he does that pretty well (doesnt need any rewarding). But for #2 hes only successfully done it on the potty 2x and he still seems frightened by it. He held it in for a while after he did it, so I am not pressuring him about it. But I think hes almost ready. Probably will switch to pull ups next month.

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 2:16 pm
My oldest started asking for the potty at 20 months. I let him use it any time we were home or near a bathroom and it was easy for me. He was actually fully trained closer to 2 1/2 years old.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics