Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
15 month old refuses to eat
1  2  Next

ais567

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 5:58 pm
So my ds 15 months old, refuses to eat ANYTHING!!!!
I am still nursing him approx 3-4 times a day, but that doesn't give him much at this age.
He used to eat a little bread or yogurt or cereal here and there, but lately past few weeks its only getting worse, to the point that today all he had was a lick of peanut butter off the bread!!!!
Any advice PLEASE?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 6:00 pm
Basic blood work stat. Make sure no anemia. It can be a cycle at this age - not enough food w iron makes anemia. Anemia makes you not have an appetite.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 6:01 pm
You could try weaning. I have not had much success with that, it led to weight loss and lots of doctor visits. Start offering food every half hour. Bamba, snacks... You want food to be a part of his life.

amother
Cerulean

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 6:32 pm
Check tonsils. My DD was in feeding therapy for months before a doctor realized that her tonsils were touching each other and she COULN’T swallow. She only ate food that went down easily like yogurt, oatmeal etc. poor kid. She’s still picky but it’s a world of a difference than before surgery.

ais567

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 6:44 pm
ectomorph wrote:
You could try weaning. I have not had much success with that, it led to weight loss and lots of doctor visits. Start offering food every half hour. Bamba, snacks... You want food to be a part of his life.

I try bamba snacks, cookies all the time, he refuses those as well.

ais567

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 6:46 pm
amother [ Cerulean ] wrote:
Check tonsils. My DD was in feeding therapy for months before a doctor realized that her tonsils were touching each other and she COULN’T swallow. She only ate food that went down easily like yogurt, oatmeal etc. poor kid. She’s still picky but it’s a world of a difference than before surgery.

Well he doesn't want to eat anything, even things which go down easily....
I try and waste at least 20 foods a day....

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 6:48 pm
ais567 wrote:
Well he doesn't want to eat anything, even things which go down easily....
I try and waste at least 20 foods a day....

I had exact same issue with my baby. Till I let him feed himself. He makes a wreck eating by himself but now at least he is eating. (Until now, he was only drinking formula bottles)

meeze

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 6:51 pm
ais567 wrote:
I am still nursing him approx 3-4 times a day, but that doesn't give him much at this age.
He used to eat a little bread or yogurt or cereal here and there, but lately past few weeks its only getting worse, to the point that today all he had was a lick of peanut butter off the bread!!!!
Any advice PLEASE?

I'm a first time mom as well with a 16mo. I had a similar complaint. After trying so many foods with no success, I went to dr. They did a blood test (finger prick). The dr said that baby is low in iron and looks pale and thats why there is no appetite. Secondly, I gave too many bottles and he was refusing food because of this. She said to limit the bottles to max 24oz a day and he will start eating. And sure he did.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 6:59 pm
Just be aware that sometimes there is an underlying issue. So if you restrict bottles / nursing and baby does NOT replace the calories within a week, and starts losing weight, stop restricting food and go do blood work and get a feeding therapist evaluation. You do NOT want to end up with a feeding tube.

ais567

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:09 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
I had exact same issue with my baby. Till I let him feed himself. He makes a wreck eating by himself but now at least he is eating. (Until now, he was only drinking formula bottles)

No, tried putting foods on highchair tray in front of him, he just throws it all straight onto the floor!!

ais567

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:11 pm
meeze wrote:
I'm a first time mom as well with a 16mo. I had a similar complaint. After trying so many foods with no success, I went to dr. They did a blood test (finger prick). The dr said that baby is low in iron and looks pale and thats why there is no appetite. Secondly, I gave too many bottles and he was refusing food because of this. She said to limit the bottles to max 24oz a day and he will start eating. And sure he did.

I will speak to a natural doctor I know who douses and can tell me if he is low in iron.
But the issue is definitely not too many bottles because I nurse him he doesn't drink much from bottles.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:15 pm
ais567 wrote:
I will speak to a natural doctor I know who douses and can tell me if he is low in iron.
But the issue is definitely not too many bottles because I nurse him he doesn't drink much from bottles.

I keep on telling you to do blood work. Why on earth would you do a dousing instead of blood work???

amother
Yellow

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:17 pm
Do blood work to rule out anything medical. Meanwhile, make an appointment with a feeding therapist for an evaluation. This is the kind of thing that gets much much much harder to treat as they get older. You really need to intervene now.

ais567

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:21 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I keep on telling you to do blood work. Why on earth would you do a dousing instead of blood work???

Because wouldnt dousing tell me if he is anemic?

ectomorph

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 7:29 pm
ais567 wrote:
Because wouldnt dousing tell me if he is anemic?

No. Please go to a normal pediatrician. Only a pinprick or blood test can diagnose anemia accurately, although very severe anemia (the type that causes long term issues) often has other symptoms.
Anemia can affect appetite before it affects anything else, so it's important to rule it out. A 14 month old should be hungry for food.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 8:08 pm
Have you ruled out food allergies?

tichellady

Post Tue, Dec 10 2019, 8:19 pm
What does the doctor say? Good luck! This sounds very stressful

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 8:38 am
My son refused all food and we discovered he had silent reflux. Enough pain to not want to eat, but not enough to be an unhappy baby.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 8:42 am
ais567 wrote:
Any advice PLEASE?

Take your baby to a pediatrician asap.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 8:44 am
Is he in childcare? My son wouldn't eat hardly any real food until I put him in daycare at age 2. They offered him a bottle there, but he saw all the other kids eating real food and wanted real food too. Peer pressure at its best.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics