Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Help me with super healthy eating resources

artsy

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 5:59 am
Hi,
Anyone know of websites, books, other resources devoted to really healthy eating but not overly complicated. Or if you have any specific recipes to share that would also be appreciated.
Like challahs with whole grain, no sugar (maybe a little honey), baked goods using only the most healthy and minimal forms of sugar (no actual white or brown sugar)

A diet that really emphasizes lots of produce.

Please let me know good resources for recipes without me having to come up with all kinds of substitutions. Again, not overly complicated or unrealistic amount of ingredients for a busy mother

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 6:44 am
I enjoy cooking light. They used to have a monthly magazine. They still are online, and you could go to the library and take out a hard covered compilation if their recipes. You will have to substitute for kosher, but the recipes are healthy and low calorie.

The magazine that took over for them is called Eating Well.

When you start eating healthier foods, you cut down on fats, sugar, and sodium. At first you probably won't have all the ingredients in the house to substitute to get flavor, but in time, you will see that it is the same spices often in recipes.

Imhappy!

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 5:04 pm
do you want a spelt challah recipe. I just tried it with honey. is worked well ( ya its tastier with sugar:)

Ora in town

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 5:08 pm
You just need to buy the veggies and eat them...

It's easy to improvise.

For example along those lines:

Take4-5 veggies, one protein (like chicken breast or tofu or fish) and make a stir fry...

Take 4-5 veggies and make a salad

Take 4-5 veggies and make soup...

Take 4-5 fruits and make a fruit salad

It's really easy... most of the time, you just need to boil for a few minutes in salt water...

The more colorful, the healthier...

And in general it's healthier to take full rice, full wheat products etc...

And be generous on chummus, chickpeas, beans, lentils...

Don't overcook...

leave things as unprocessed as possible...

behappy2

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 5:31 pm
Paleo Cure by Chris Kresser

Amarante

Post Mon, May 04 2020, 6:39 pm
FWIW, Cooking Light still has a magazine - so far as I know but also a very good website with well organized ingredients.

Eating Well is a different magazine.

Both of them have recipes that are geared towards more simple type of easy and fast recipes versus Bon Appetit which has more complicated sophisticated recipes.

What is your specific issue - the best way to get started is to start with the main ingredient - e.g. chicken breasts or fish and then find a recipe that uses the recipe and seems appealing to you. If you like the recipe, then add it to your repertoire.

In my experience, I used to aim for recipes that were essentially one pot or dish - that could be made ahead and frozen and reheated without impacting the quality and concentrated on lower fat sources of protein - lots of veggies and moderate amounts of whole grains.

Honestly I am not much for "healthier" desserts as I think it makes more sense to eat smaller portions of delicious desserts. Of course whole wheat bread or rolls or challah is healthier than white flour.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking