Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
For parents who DO vaccinate, do you give the flu vaccine?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

If you do vaccinate your children, do you give them the flu vaccine, too?
Yes  
 60%  [ 69 ]
No  
 40%  [ 46 ]
Total Votes : 115

small bean

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:05 pm
I give it if I'm at the doctor. I dont go special.

I actually found that the years that I gave the shot, no one had any sort of cold or illness the whole winter. Maybe it means that if I'm in top of well visits and all that, then I'm likely feeding my kids better and in general in a better state.

I dont think any of my kids ever had the flu. My husband never gets the shot and had it once.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:27 pm
It's the least effective vaccine and most adverse reactions , so no, I don't give it. I only vaccinate what's mandated and start past 2.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:30 pm
amother [ Powderblue ] wrote:
It's the least effective vaccine and most adverse reactions , so no, I don't give it. I only vaccinate what's mandated and start past 2.

Pretty sure tdap has more adverse reactions, but we give both. Just saying

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:45 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
Pretty sure tdap has more adverse reactions, but we give both. Just saying
I was thinking of little kid vaccines. hpv, meningitis also have more adverse reactions.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:56 pm
Of course I give it. No reason in the world not to.

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 5:28 pm
Until when is flu season/make sense to get it?

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 5:32 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
Until when is flu season/make sense to get it?

February

asmileaday

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 9:17 pm
We vaccinate.
Dh and I take the flu shot every year. With my kids I haven't been so religious about it. My doctor is neutral about it. She doesn't strongly recommend but isn't against it.
One year I didn't give the shot and all of my kids got the flu about a week apart. I had a sick child home for weeks in a row. It was not fun! The following year I ran to give the shot right away and everyone was b"h fine all winter.
Last year I didn't give it just because I didn't get around to it. B"h no one got sick.
This year I gave it.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:06 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Do you know if the baby was given tamiflu? That has contributed to many flu related deaths

Tamiflu, the antiviral??

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:08 pm
Ruchel wrote:
No
I give what is legally mandatory, as well as a few others
No chicken pox either, not recommended here

Board of ed just mandated it for UPK (age 4) in NYC. It annoys me that it's mandatory given that they can't even assure it's effectiveness is 50%

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 11:23 pm
amother [ Puce ] wrote:
Board of ed just mandated it for UPK (age 4) in NYC. It annoys me that it's mandatory given that they can't even assure it's effectiveness is 50%

The rate of kids who get the flu and don’t have complications or die is much better with the shot. For that I think it’s worth it.
Those numbers are provable.

yc

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:09 am
No. doesn't prevent flu only a few strains. It doesnt guarantee you won't get sick or get flu. All the ppl who say they didnt get sick when they had it, its purely coincidental/anecdotal. you can still get flu. It has potential side effects. I know someone who became disabled for life from it.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:12 am
yc wrote:
No. doesn't prevent flu only a few strains. It doesnt guarantee you won't get sick or get flu. All the ppl who say they didnt get sick when they had it, its purely coincidental/anecdotal. you can still get flu. It has potential side effects. I know someone who became disabled for life from it.

Really? So its efficacy rate is actually 0%?

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:44 am
We didn't until my nephew was hospitalized and on a respirator between life and death. Bh after lots of tefillos and weeks in hospital he made it out alive but definitely traumatic experience.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:52 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I personally hold off on chicken pox as long as I can, but schools require it here Sad

My DD caught the chicken pox as a baby so she never had the vaccine for it (my other kids had the shot).

She recently got shingles (at age 11!). It was HORRIBLE.

small bean

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:56 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
My DD caught the chicken pox as a baby so she never had the vaccine for it (my other kids had the shot).

She recently got shingles (at age 11!). It was HORRIBLE.

My sister had chickenpox, full blown case and does not have immunity to it.

I had 2 pox when I was 6 months and have immunity.

My niece got a mild case of shingles and had the chickenpox shot. She checked her Titter levels after that and was not immune to mmr and others. She revaccinated and now does show immunity.

Having chickenpox, does not make you immune to shingles. Hence the reason people in their 60s get shingles.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:01 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
The rate of kids who get the flu and don’t have complications or die is much better with the shot. For that I think it’s worth it.
Those numbers are provable.

Well when I took ds to get the shot, the pedi said that so far, the shot doesn't seem to be having any effect this year on Flu type B, only A, based on his own patients

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:02 pm
yc wrote:

Disabled from the flu or from the shot?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:03 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Really? So its efficacy rate is actually 0%?

2 years ago they claimed it was something like 30% effective. It was useless against certain strains.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:21 pm
amother [ Silver ] wrote:
four years ago my friend lost a six month old to the flu. NOW I vaccinate whether we know if the strain works or not.

Did baby have tamiflu? That could be a factor too.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics