Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Stinky feet!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:47 pm
My Ds has some seriously smelly feet. I was told by a friend to get him Darn Tough socks made of pure wool. I looked them up and they are like $15 a pair! Does anyone have any other suggestions that might help? If I have to I will get him those socks, if it works it would be worth it but thought I'd see if there are any cheaper alternatives that are tried and work, TIA

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:05 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My Ds has some seriously smelly feet. I was told by a friend to get him Darn Tough socks made of pure wool. I looked them up and they are like $15 a pair! Does anyone have any other suggestions that might help? If I have to I will get him those socks, if it works it would be worth it but thought I'd see if there are any cheaper alternatives that are tried and work, TIA

I had this issue and it turned out to be stress. The moment I left home the problem disappeared.
Look into what's stressing him out and see how you can bring down the cortisol levels.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:09 pm
I would personally go with as high a percentage of cotton as possible. I remember Lands End used to sell them. Maybe also Hanna Anderson.

Speak to your doctor though (and if he's not familiar see a dermatologist - she definitely will be!) because it may be due a bacterial condition ("pitted keratolysis" a.k.a stinky feet) that is treated with clindamycin gel, and the smell can be gone with a day or two. In addition to the smell you may see areas of redness on the soles of the feet, and sometimes a lightly pitted look.

My kids had this once, and the smell was awful. Didn't take much to treat, and then I had them use very breathable cotton socks for a while so as not to catch it again (some people are more susceptible to the bacteria).
They were diagnosed by a dermatologist and thank G-d it's now history Smile

jfk92

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:57 pm
What type of shoes is he wearing?
I find the smell can be worse with non genuine leather shoes.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:01 pm
On Your Toes Foot Bactericide Powder - Eliminates Foot Odor for Six Months, 21 grams (One Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005.....6AV0P

I bought this in the local hosiery store once, it really worked!!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 4:17 pm
Thank you all for your suggestions! Never heard that it could be due to stress. I will try out that powder. BTW we did try pure cotton socks in it really was worse

cbg

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 4:23 pm
I once heard soaking your feet in black tea helps

simcha2

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 4:29 pm
Get a foot spray that contains zinc oxide. Spray on feet twice a day. Wash shoes. Spray inside shoes daily.

The smell is caused by a bacteria. The zinc oxide kills it. My ds had the smelliest feet. We tried different socks, washing shoes frequently etc., nothing worked until we used spray with zinc oxide.

amother
Khaki

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 6:57 pm
When my dd had this the dr. said it was from excessive sweating. He prescribed a powder containing diatomaceous earth (zeolite?) to absorb the sweat. It worked.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 7:44 pm
I don't think the socks will change anything if he has a bacterial infection.
you have to treat that (and possibly put alcohol inside his shoes), and the socks will help his feet to breathe and thus be less susceptible to the bacteria.

country

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:15 am
There r socks called moisture wicking socks that works really well. They r thicker than regular socks almost like a towel material

amother
Lavender

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:36 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
On Your Toes Foot Bactericide Powder - Eliminates Foot Odor for Six Months, 21 grams (One Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005.....6AV0P

I bought this in the local hosiery store once, it really worked!!

I second On Your Toes... We've used it for a few household members. Works wonders BH!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:47 am
One of my boys has very smelly feet and I found that socks made from bamboo fiber really helped. I bought some at a local camping/outdoor gear store, but they sell them on Amazon, both sports socks and dress socks.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:04 am
OP if he’s wearing Geox shoes that’s probably the issue.

Many are complaining

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:13 am
My children have this problem as well. It started exactly when we switched from open sandals to closed shoes this fall. The shoes make all the difference. And closed fake leather and sport shoes are the worst. One of my dcs has fabric sport shoes - they are the only ones that don't cause stinky feet (but, they aren't rain proof). In short, I think it's the shoes rather than the socks.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:58 am
amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
When my dd had this the dr. said it was from excessive sweating. He prescribed a powder containing diatomaceous earth (zeolite?) to absorb the sweat. It worked.

You can mix a little DE with Gold Bond.

Odelyah

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:29 am
I agree that if your son wears cotton socks then it could be the shoes-- I had this myself for the first time one year after I bought boots that weren't leather. It persisted until I asked someone in the health food store and they recommended a spray-- I think it was tea tree oil. I sprayed it on my clean dry feet a few times, as per instructions and it completely went away.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children