Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
My challah is unbaked in the middle:(
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:49 pm
How do I fix it. I bake for 30 minutes on 350

SingALong

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:52 pm
I bake my challah for much longer, at 350, like an hour and 15 minutes. my dh likes a crunchier crust. it also bakes better in the middle

I used to have that issue sometimes, that the middle of the challah was too doughy. I started making smaller challah. literally 8 small ones instead of 5 large. the middle is much lighter and fluffier now.

md951

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 1:59 pm
I do 25 minutes on 400 and it comes out great. I think the most important thing is not to do too much flour, I always have my dough still sticky and if necessary shape with flour on my hands. When I first started making challah it was rock hard and then I slowly did less and less flour until I got the right consistency. It was also raw in the middle when it had too much flour. Hope that's helpful. I also have a fantastic challah recipe if you'd like

lavenderchimes

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:03 pm
I bake for 25-35 at 370. The answer for you could be to leave it in longer. After a while, I learned to recognize the hollow sound it makes when done properly when you tap it with a wooden spoon.

asdf1

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:04 pm
Did it rise enough?

miami85

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:09 pm
Sometimes I will flip the challah over after 30 minutes and bake the underside for another 10-15 minutes

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:35 pm
debbiem wrote:
I do 25 minutes on 400 and it comes out great. I think the most important thing is not to do too much flour, I always have my dough still sticky and if necessary shape with flour on my hands. When I first started making challah it was rock hard and then I slowly did less and less flour until I got the right consistency. It was also raw in the middle when it had too much flour. Hope that's helpful. I also have a fantastic challah recipe if you'd like

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Yes can You please post the challah recipe please?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:45 pm
asdf1 wrote:
Did it rise enough?

How long do you let it rise?

groovy1224

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:45 pm
Lol I got a laugh from 'unbaked'- the word is raw Smile

are you sure your oven is heating up correctly? if the oven is too hot, it will brown the outside too fast while the middle stays raw.

amother
Crimson

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 2:52 pm
Huh. In my house, we'd just turn the frown into a smiley face. We love a doughy center.

meyerlemon44

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:08 pm
I use my meat thermometer to test that bread is done in the middle. (I think challah is done at 190 but you should double check that.)

jflower

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 3:37 pm
groovy1224 wrote:

are you sure your oven is heating up correctly? if the oven is too hot, it will brown the outside too fast while the middle stays raw.

https://www.merriam-webster.co.....baked

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 5:08 pm
groovy1224 wrote:

You got me!! I’m Israeli living in the US so English is not my native language

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 5:08 pm
meyerlemon44 wrote:
I use my meat thermometer to test that bread is done in the middle. (I think challah is done at 190 but you should double check that.)

That’s a genius idea!!!!

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 5:21 pm
groovy1224 wrote:

I know this may be a strange, novel concept to some, but there can be two different words for the same thing.

md951

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 5:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks everyone for the great advice. Yes can You please post the challah recipe please?

2 tbsp. dry active yeast
1½ cups warm almost hot water
¼ cup honey
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup oil
Pinch of salt
6-8 cups all purpose flour do as little as possible while it's still possible to shape it. If you need to flour your hands to shape it that's fine.
1 whole egg (for egg wash, it's really better than just yolk)
Sesame or poppy seeds
INSTRUCTIONS
In a mixer, combine yeast and warm water.
Let stand for 5 minutes stir it up, then let stand another 5 minutes.
Attach the dough attachment to the mixer.
With the mixer on low, add all ingredients except flour.
When well combined, gradually add flour, one cup at a time until dough forms a ball that is still a little sticky.
Remove dough, knead it for 10 minutes (I never cut it short even if it's perfectly smooth) and add to a greased bowl.
Cover and let stand until dough has doubled in size.
Remove dough from bowl and braid (or shape), as desired.
Place on greased pan.
Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes

I started doing it this way and for real my guests are always really impressed with the bread.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 5:29 pm
debbiem wrote:
2 tbsp. dry active yeast
1½ cups warm almost hot water
¼ cup honey
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup oil
Pinch of salt
6-8 cups all purpose flour do as little as possible while it's still possible to shape it. If you need to flour your hands to shape it that's fine.
1 whole egg (for egg wash, it's really better than just yolk)
Sesame or poppy seeds
INSTRUCTIONS
In a mixer, combine yeast and warm water.
Let stand for 5 minutes stir it up, then let stand another 5 minutes.
Attach the dough attachment to the mixer.
With the mixer on low, add all ingredients except flour.
When well combined, gradually add flour, one cup at a time until dough forms a ball that is still a little sticky.
Remove dough, knead it for 10 minutes (I never cut it short even if it's perfectly smooth) and add to a greased bowl.
Cover and let stand until dough has doubled in size.
Remove dough from bowl and braid (or shape), as desired.
Place on greased pan.
Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds.
Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes

I started doing it this way and for real my guests are always really impressed with the bread.

Thank you. I see that you put honey instead of eggs. Does it taste like water challah?

amother
Plum

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 5:47 pm
Challos should bake at least an hour on 350.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 5:50 pm
As others have said, you’ll have an easier time with smaller loaves. When I’m doing large loaves, I often need to cover them with tinfoil part way through and continue baking so that the insides can finish baking without the crust being too dark.

md951

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 6:55 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you. I see that you put honey instead of eggs. Does it taste like water challah?

People usually think it has eggs, we're Sephardi so we don't do egg in the challah but I have had egg challah before and it tastes the same to me
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen