Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Epstein scandel

werty

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:21 am
Does it make you ashamed? BC he was Jewish. I was mortified to find out he was Jewish.. not sure why, I mean sickos exist anywhere. I guess BC it's a globally high profile case

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:26 am
Sure, I wish his father or would have changed his name. But we're in galus and there will, nebach, be bad actors who will besmirch the Jewish people by their actions.

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:02 am
With a name like Epstein you didn’t think he was Jewish?

Of course we’re mortified. You’d better get used to the feeling. My mortification started with the nursing home Medicaid fraud scandal back in the 70s (first time in my life I wanted to put a paper bag over my head before going out) and hasn’t let up since. What, Bernie Madoff wasn’t a scandal? Anthony Wiener wasn’t a scandal? Lev Tahor isn’t a scandal?

small bean

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:05 am
Unfortunately there are many Jews involved in huge crimes and scandals. This is not new.

SuperWify

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:08 am
There are bad apples in every tree.

werty

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:40 am
I guess so Sad Sad

werty

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:43 am
Dyou think it happens with Jews more often than with non Jews? Or less often? Or proportionately? I dunno why I'm finding it so horrific, maybe BC I actually read a lot about it , and I'm normally not into the news.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:04 am
I don't think it happens more frequently with Jews. And Jews are probably less likely to commit violent crimes or street crimes. However they often are involved with white collar crimes - some of which make the news.

Also I think that if you are Jewish you might focus disproportionately on people who are Jewish in the news. If you think of some of the major white collar scandals - Enron - there were probably no Jews involved and most people on Wall Street involved in the financial collapse of 2008 weren't Jewish - although sadly Madoff was :-).

ETA - By "often" I don't mean that Jews are disproportionately involved in white collar crimes but that when a Jew is involved in a crime that makes the news, it is a white collar crime. I mean besides Son of Sam and some of the old gangsters from Murder Inc., Jews don't generally make headlines as violent criminals.

And then there are the "secret Jews" that do wonderful stuff or are famous but aren't well known as Jews. Barbra Streisand is "famously" Jewish but what about Tiffany Haddish's recent Bat Mitzvah at 40 :-).

Last edited by Amarante on Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:36 am; edited 2 times in total

M0mmy

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:23 am
Amarante wrote:
I don't think it happens more frequently with Jews. And Jews are probably less likely to commit violent crimes or street crimes. However they often are involved with white collar crimes - some of which make the news.

Also I think that if you are Jewish you might focus disproportionately on people who are Jewish in the news. If you think of some of the major white collar scandals - Enron - there were probably no Jews involved and most people on Wall Street involved in the financial collapse of 2008 weren't Jewish - although sadly Madoff was :-).

And then there are the "secret Jews" that do wonderful stuff or are famous but aren't well known as Jews. Barbra Streisand is Jewish but what about Tiffany Haddish's recent Bat Mitzvah at 40 :-).

I was going to say something very similar. As Jews who care about making a kiddush HaShem, we're more sensitized to news involving other Jews (good or bad). It's hard to say whether society disproportionately shares negative stories about Jews, but when typical "John Doe" commits some terrible crime, while it's terrible news, I imagine that you, like me, distance yourself from the story and just file it away with the rest of the bad news out there. When it's about a Jew, suddenly your radar is turned up super high, and you just want it to all go away so people aren't talking about the terrible thing the Jew did...

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:27 am
M0mmy wrote:
I was going to say something very similar. As Jews who care about making a kiddush HaShem, we're more sensitized to news involving other Jews (good or bad). It's hard to say whether society disproportionately shares negative stories about Jews, but when typical "John Doe" commits some terrible crime, while it's terrible news, I imagine that you, like me, distance yourself from the story and just file it away with the rest of the bad news out there. When it's about a Jew, suddenly your radar is turned up super high, and you just want it to all go away so people aren't talking about the terrible thing the Jew did...

Not exactly the same but years ago there was an article by a Jewish guy writing about his Bubbe. It was an affectionate somewhat humorous piece and one of the traits he wrote about was that his Bubbe shared a mission with the Third Reich in that she loved to ferret out secret Jews - e.g. Jews who no one knew they were Jewish - not that they were hiding but not that it was so obvious. Obviously she was proud to discover writers, doctors, scientists, politicians but she was extra excited to find out someone was Jewish who excelled in an unexpected field like sports - like Sandy Koufax Very Happy

I laughed so hard because it described my Bubbe as well Very Happy

ETA - And religion is generally never addressed in most news stories unless it is somehow relevant to the actual story. For example, there was the man who was high up in New Jersey Sephardic circles (can't remember his name) who was an informant and brought down a lot of Jersey higher ups - politicians as well as finance people. Since his affiliation with the Deal community was part of the story, it was unavoidable. Similarly religion was a factor in terms of the guy who ran the kosher meat business.

But I can't think of any stories that specifically mentioned Epstein as being Jewish. Not that it's relevant but Epstein didn't even seem like a standard cultural NY secular Jew - at least to me. While Seinfeld might not be Shomer Shabbos etc., he is so obviously cultural Jewish in terms of his life experiences.

werty

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:24 pm
Also Maxwell, the criminal who worked with him is Jewish I understand, so it looks even worse.
But anyway, glad to hear it's more rare to find a Jew do this sort of thing on such a scale. I also thought white collar crimes is more typical , and those are bad enough a chilul Hashem

DrMom

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:44 pm
It is a complete chilul HaShem.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics