Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Are you reluctant to go shopping after Jersey City?

Do the horrific events as of late change the way you live?
yes  
 12%  [ 14 ]
no  
 38%  [ 42 ]
I am thoughtful but don't actually change my behaviors.  
 49%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 110

imabima

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:40 am
In our city, there is one kosher grocery store, which is obviously kosher due to the name. I usually let my 14 year old walk there when she wants, sometimes taking my younger child with her. Yesterday, for the first time, I felt like maybe I was making a bad parenting decision to let her go. I was nervous while she was gone.

Do you feel like what happened in Jersey City, Paris, etc, etc, etc changes the way you live your life?

lavenderchimes

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:44 am
No. Horrible things happen far too often. I'm not going to live my life in fear because of Jersey City or any other horrific event.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:05 am
No. We need to move on in life. We need to pray to Hashem to protect us & our dear children. And we may take upon a good deed & see where we can improve- as a zechus for ourselves & for klal yisroel. And that's pretty much what we can do. May Hashem protect us all & bring moshiach today!

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:08 am
I saw on tv they are having more security at kosher stores

subby

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:20 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
I saw on tv they are having more security at kosher stores

That will last for tops a week and then it will all go back to the way things were before the shooting

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:33 am
We don't have any dedicated kosher groceries in our OOT community, only kosher departments in regular chain grocery stores.

The JCC has a constant police detail now. The kosher restaurants don't have anything about "kosher" or "Jewish" in their names. Two of them are actually owned by non-Jews and two or maybe even three serve a primarily non-Jewish clientele.

I have found myself feeling grateful that both my children's school and our shul are set way back from the street in a way that they are not visible at all to drivers. They also have no signs on the street, so someone would really have to know what they are looking for to target them.

I worry the most about walking around on Shabbos. Anyone who lives in the area or drives through on Shabbos will see large numbers of distinctively dressed Jews and Jewish children walking around in the streets throughout the day. That's where I think our community is most vulnerable. Not in the stores.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:36 am
For awhile now, when I go somewhere, I locate and note possible exits. What Hashem wants will happen, but I like to know different possible ways to get out.

allthingsblue

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:40 am
I did feel nervous when I did grocery shopping, just like I feel nervous when I go to Walmart or Target these days...

amother
Copper

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:41 am
I think I’m just numb.
I feel nothing, no rage, no anxiety, no belief, no sadness.
Every day that I’m alive I guess is a bonus.
I kiss my kids every night as if it were my last.
We snuggle we giggle but at the same time I know it can be gone in a flash.
We are all ticking time bombs and there’s nothing to do.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:57 am
subby wrote:
That will last for tops a week and then it will all go back to the way things were before the shooting

The shooting seems to have been very premeditated, so the opposite strategy may make more sense.

miami85

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:26 pm
As much as there seems to have been an uptick in violence towards Jews in this case as is was in the Pittsburgh shooting, there seems to have been reasons why those particular locations were targeted.

such as in Pittsburgh, from where the culprit came from to get to the "synagogue" he had to pass directly by the Orthodox shuls that are blatantly Jewish looking to get there. He had to have known where he was going and there was something mentioned in one of the articles about a program at that "synagogue" that offended him. Yes, in many ways it makes sense for shuls to be armed due to the "Amalek Affect" but it wasn't a "random act of violence against Jews".

I heard something similar yesterday with regard to the events of Jersey City but I had my kids in the car so I didn't hear so well and I'm forgetting the details at the moment.

Metukah

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:38 pm
amother [ Copper ] wrote:
I think I’m just numb.
I feel nothing, no rage, no anxiety, no belief, no sadness.
Every day that I’m alive I guess is a bonus.
I kiss my kids every night as if it were my last.
We snuggle we giggle but at the same time I know it can be gone in a flash.
We are all ticking time bombs and there’s nothing to do.

I'm sorry you feel this way. I think you might need some help with processing your thoughts. I don't believe your feelings are healthy. I worry for you.

chestnut

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:45 pm
miami85 wrote:
As much as there seems to have been an uptick in violence towards Jews in this case as is was in the Pittsburgh shooting, there seems to have been reasons why those particular locations were targeted.

such as in Pittsburgh, from where the culprit came from to get to the "synagogue" he had to pass directly by the Orthodox shuls that are blatantly Jewish looking to get there. He had to have known where he was going and there was something mentioned in one of the articles about a program at that "synagogue" that offended him. Yes, in many ways it makes sense for shuls to be armed due to the "Amalek Affect" but it wasn't a "random act of violence against Jews".

I heard something similar yesterday with regard to the events of Jersey City but I had my kids in the car so I didn't hear so well and I'm forgetting the details at the moment.

This is rhe first time I'm hearing this about Pittsburgh or Jersey City

koalamum

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:46 pm
My son goes to yeshivah where it is a $9 Uber ride to the JC kosher supermarket. He asked me so many times to call an Uber for him, and his friends who chip in, on Fridays, that I have it in my Saved Places in my Uber account.
Now of course he’s creeped out. (Never mind me). It’s the only place he can buy kosher treats for Shabbos..... I wonder if it will ever get back to “normal”...

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 10:29 am

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 5:24 am
imabima wrote:
Do you feel like what happened in Jersey City, Paris, etc, etc, etc changes the way you live your life?
I live in Israel. If we changed the way we lived our lives every time a terror attack occured (and lets be honest, they are 100% antisemetic attacks) nobody would leave their homes. Ever.
But we have to pick ourselves back up and move forward and LIVE!!! Because if we dont, in jerusalem, tel aviv, jersey city, alabama, new york, paris, wherever, they win.
So we go out to the shops, in plsces where things happened. We might look over our shoulders a bit more, but we continue on!!!!! And we must!!!!

LolaGuac

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 7:15 am
Not reluctant, just more aware of my surroundings.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 8:10 am
There are social media platforms where the violent ideas foment. I think that there should be huge class action lawsuits against platforms that enable mass shooters to gain fame and be hailed as heroes.
These people who shot up the market belonged to an anti-Semitic group that used social media to further it's goals.
Every frum Jew should be part of the lawsuit because any of us could have been there.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics