Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
It's a lefty!
1  2  3  4  Next

tzavei_yeshuos

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:38 pm
We think that our son, 2.5 years old, is a lefty! (uses left hand for utensils, draws with left, favors it for most tasks, etc.)

Any tips from lefties or moms of lefties about what to look out for?

tigerwife

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:40 pm
Is there anything to look out for? My child is a lefty as well and I see no difference between lefties and righties.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:41 pm
Scratching Head Scratching Head Scratching Head Scratching Head Scratching Head

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:42 pm
I'm a lefty. My mom's a lefty. My sister's a lefty. My uncle's a lefty. We've known that my son is a lefty since he was 10 months old.

So?

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jan 20 2020, 1:17 am; edited 1 time in total

egam

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:47 pm
I also have a lefty. Not much difference. Just try to sit to the right of him at the table. Otherwise, you'll be constantly bumping your elbows when eating Wink.
And he'll need a lefty tefillin when the time comes.
When he's a little older and starts using scissors, it would be good to get him the ones specificaly disigned for the left handed. They didn't exist when my DS was growing up, but widely available now.

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:51 pm
You might want to look for lefty products. Like scissors. Spiral notebooks. Baseball mitt. Or any other hobby. Or, music look for left handed instruments.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:51 pm
I don't get your question. What's the big deal about being a lefty?? It's not a disease.....
I'm a lefty and so are afew of my kids. We never think about it. Being left handed doesn't affect your live, you can get rid of the !.
We never use and special "lefty" products. No reason to.

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:52 pm
I'm a lefty, my father's a lefty. I have no idea what my kids are because I never looked.
Why would you have to look out for anything?

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:53 pm
Also, left computer mouse and maybe a seperate number pad to put on the left hand side of keyboard.

miami85

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:55 pm
It's no longer considered to be as sinister as it used to be.

However the one thing is to make sure that he has consistent dominance, though not a HUGE issue if not, it can be an indicator that something might be "off" neurologically

tzavei_yeshuos

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:55 pm
OK! Thank you! Glad it doesn't make too much of a difference!

I'm just curious and trying to do the best for my son, glad to hear it's not a big deal.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:00 pm
I’m a leftie so are half of my kids. I think the only issue is when they put on tefillin

little neshamala

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:03 pm
At that age it often switches back and forth. He might still end up a righty-my son alternated for a few years. Sometimes he used his left hand for feeding and other main tasks, then a few weeks later we'd notice his right hand.

By age 5 he was totally right handed.

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:07 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I’m a leftie so are half of my kids. I think the only issue is when they put on tefillin

my husband bought my lefty a halachah book for the left handed. I forget what the specifics are but there are questions about how to do certain things they we generally do with our right hands. Shaking hands comes into question.

I think he may have also said that being left handed could be considered a mum for a cohen. I feel like we had that discussion when my son was born but then he wasn't so I don't remember the specifics.

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:08 pm
some examples

https://www.chabad.org/library.....y.htm

https://drive.google.com/file/...../view

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:17 pm
I have two leftys. They are 3 and 5. I do tell the morahs so they help them to use the scissors correctly and not tell me the kid needs OT for using it with the wrong hand lol.

Otherwise, they dont do anything differently then my oldest who is right handed.

Bruria

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:21 pm
Scissors for lefties, very important! It makes a huge difference!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:23 pm
Nothing. You'll see if there's a problem. Teachers are used to it and it's normal. parents of blonds, what to look for?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:25 pm
As an OT I'll just say that hand dominance doesn't usually solidify until 5 or 6. Just look out to make sure there isn't an issue with the right side of his body that he isnt using it. Make sure he uses both hands together often and uses the right hand to help his left hand sometimes to make sure it's not an issue going on that is causing him to show strong preference at this age.

little neshamala

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 1:29 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
As an OT I'll just say that hand dominance doesn't usually solidify until 5 or 6. Just look out to make sure there isn't an issue with the right side of his body that he isnt using it. Make sure he uses both hands together often and uses the right hand to help his left hand sometimes to make sure it's not an issue going on that is causing him to show strong preference at this age.

Cool! That perfectly describes what I was saying about my son. Thanks!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics