Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
It's a lefty!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:30 am
There are varying degrees of lefty in my family- from those who can write with their right hand but use the left for eating and playing, to those who can’t even use a right handed mouse.
So it all depends.
I’m a lefty but I do use a right handed mouse and was taught to cut with my right hand- and cutting is uncomfortable for me till today.
My sons leftyism affected him by tefillin and by guitar playing- he needed it restrung. I think the keyboard is also somewhat an issue.

honeymoon

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:35 am
I am a lefty. I do most things with my left hand but interestingly I can do some things only with my right. Like holding a scissors, or chopping veggies..

I don't know if what I'm saying has any scientific backing but I've noticed that many lefties are very strong in the creative side of the brain like music etc. Also, they are often strong in language like reading, writing etc.

honeymoon

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:37 am
doodlesmom wrote:
There are varying degrees of lefty in my family- from those who can write with their right hand but use the left for eating and playing, to those who can’t even use a right handed mouse.
So it all depends.
I’m a lefty but I do use a right handed mouse and was taught to cut with my right hand- and cutting is uncomfortable for me till today.
My sons leftyism affected him by tefillin and by guitar playing- he needed it restrung. I think the keyboard is also somewhat an issue.

Interesting. I never changed the strings on my guitar. I just learned to play the 'right' way. On the piano my right hand fingering can feel like acrobatics sometimes and the left hand is definitely smoother. I use a regular mouse too. I guess it depends on what's available and you adjust.

gold21

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:46 am
doodlesmom wrote:
So it all depends.

Yeah, so true, lol. My son, who's a lefty, totally uses his right hand for some things (for eating and sometimes when playing sports). He uses his left hand for writing. He has lefty tefillin.

I guess there is a spectrum of lefty-ism!

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:48 am
honeymoon wrote:
Interesting. I never changed the strings on my guitar. I just learned to play the 'right' way. On the piano my right hand fingering can feel like acrobatics sometimes and the left hand is definitely smoother. I use a regular mouse too. I guess it depends on what's available and you adjust.

I got my brother left handed pens. And a left handed corkscrew .. he said the pens are interesting and hasn't used the corkscrew... Bc he's so used to the righty stuff bc it's what was available

I also bought him a mug that says "God only made a few perfect people, the rest are right handed"

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:50 am
I opened this thinking you were posting an ultrasound shot of baby sucking his/her left thumb.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:52 am
To add to the lefty quotes
Everyone is born right handed, only the greatest overcome it!
Or
Everyone is born left handed, you become right handed after your first sin

honeymoon

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:52 am
singleagain wrote:
I got my brother left handed pens. And a left handed corkscrew .. he said the pens are interesting and hasn't used the corkscrew... Bc he's so used to the righty stuff bc it's what was available

I also bought him a mug that says "God only made a few perfect people, the rest are right handed"

how are left handed pens different than right handed pens?

littleprincess

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:09 am
I'm a lefty. My sis is a lefty and my DS is a lefty!!

Left handed , right minded!!! We Rock

gamanit

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:13 am
singleagain wrote:
Also, left computer mouse and maybe a seperate number pad to put on the left hand side of keyboard.

I'm left handed and use a right handed mouse no problem. In fact a left handed mouse feels awkward to me. It all depends on the kid.

I second the scissors though. Some pairs are very painful for lefties. For example these scissors are very difficult for left handed people but these are just fine.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:15 am
The only time my left handedness was an issue was when I tried taking a hair cutting course and it was impossible to hold the scissors the way the teacher was teaching. She did not provide the proper tools or instructions for lefties and it was very frustrating to me.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:18 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
Scratching Head Scratching Head Scratching Head Scratching Head Scratching Head

He'll be scratching his head with his left hand. Look out! Lol.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:24 am
I have identical twins one is a lefty and one is a righty
They sit at the table side by side which is comfort able to them

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:51 am
honeymoon wrote:
I am a lefty. I do most things with my left hand but interestingly I can do some things only with my right. Like holding a scissors, or chopping veggies..

I don't know if what I'm saying has any scientific backing but I've noticed that many lefties are very strong in the creative side of the brain like music etc. Also, they are often strong in language like reading, writing etc.

You were probably taught to do those things along with the majority of others who are righties Smile

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:52 am
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
As an OT I'll just say that hand dominance doesn't usually solidify until 5 or 6. Just look out to make sure there isn't an issue with the right side of his body that he isnt using it. Make sure he uses both hands together often and uses the right hand to help his left hand sometimes to make sure it's not an issue going on that is causing him to show strong preference at this age.

As an OT, I know the literature says that, but my professional experience has shown that if a clear dominance isn't showing up by 3-4, then you're in for some trouble (midline crossing issues, etc.), which should probably be treated (young!).

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:54 am
1091 wrote:
my husband bought my lefty a halachah book for the left handed. I forget what the specifics are but there are questions about how to do certain things they we generally do with our right hands. Shaking hands comes into question.

I think he may have also said that being left handed could be considered a mum for a cohen. I feel like we had that discussion when my son was born but then he wasn't so I don't remember the specifics.

Saying shema, holding lulav and esrog, holding a Torah, order for putting on and tying shoes, etc.

Basically, anything where halacha/hanhaga usually indicates "Right" (or "Right first") - ask a shailah. (Not paskening.)

My father is a lefty, and I only recently found out that he's asked a shailah about minim, and been told different things at different times. (While he was serving as a Rov I believe he was told to do like righties so people didn't learn incorrectly (inadvertently) from him.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:54 am
I just remembered that I tried learning to crochet a couple years ago but couldn’t be taught by right handed pple who couldn’t figure out my hand arrangement. I ended up just getting taught by YouTube videos.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:57 am
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
Saying shema, holding lulav and esrog, holding a Torah, order for putting on and tying shoes, etc.

Basically, anything where halacha/hanhaga usually indicates "Right" (or "Right first") - ask a shailah. (Not paskening.)

My father is a lefty, and I only recently found out that he's asked a shailah about minim, and been told different things at different times. (While he was serving as a Rov I believe he was told to do like righties so people didn't learn incorrectly (inadvertently) from him.

From what I’ve heard being ambidextrous is more halachically complicated than a lefty.
Ie those people can’t write in a sefer Torah.

gamanit

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:57 am
doodlesmom wrote:
I just remembered that I tried learning to crochet a couple years ago but couldn’t be taught by right handed pple who couldn’t figure out my hand arrangement. I ended up just getting taught by YouTube videos.

Same! I was crocheting incorrectly for most of my life until I looked up left handed crochet

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 12:17 pm
miami85 wrote:
It's no longer considered to be as sinister as it used to be.

However the one thing is to make sure that he has consistent dominance, though not a HUGE issue if not, it can be an indicator that something might be "off" neurologically

Just the opposite! Leftys are known to be smart and very creative.
Most of the presidents and a lot of rabbonim are/were left handed
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics