Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
It's a lefty!
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

gamanit

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 3:27 pm
amother [ Ruby ] wrote:
Just the opposite! Leftys are known to be smart and very creative.
Most of the presidents and a lot of rabbonim are/were left handed

The word sinister is there as a joke. The origin for the word sinister is from the Latin word which means left since left handed people were considered evil.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 3:27 pm
Im the only lefty in my family, for miles.
The interesting thing is that my father remembers when he was very small, his father putting his left hand behind his back so that he would not use his left hand. I believe my grandfather, a whole different world of thought from years ago, believed that lefties had it much worse in this world, not able to do many things etc. So my father was sure that he started out as a lefty but was "trained" otherwise.

Personally, I write with my left hand and do some things with my left hand, but there are some things I can not do with my left hand. I peel with my right hand, I throw better with my right hand.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 3:58 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
From what I’ve heard being ambidextrous is more halachically complicated than a lefty.
Ie those people can’t write in a sefer Torah.

Interesting. Reminds me of a famous "maaseh" (not sure if it's true): Father brings his son to a Rov to ask which hand to wear tefillin, because his son is ambidextrous. Rov asks the son, "which hand do you throw a ball with?" The son, being "super frum" replies that he doesn't play ball. So the Rov asks, "Fine, which hand do you use to hit your brother?" LOL LOL LOL

Again, as an OT, just adding that I've become less convinced of true "ambidextrous" presentation... Many lefties I've worked with have more of what I would call "mixed dexterity" - specific activities are restricted to specific hands, rather than equal strength and dexterity in both hands. Also, many of these kids have very poor ability to cross the midline, so whichever hand/side the tool is presented on is the one they'll use...

boat

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 6:07 pm
Any of you guys have good links for decent lefty can openers?

boat

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 6:12 pm
May come into play in halacha with holding food/object in left hand vs right when making Bracha. Washing left hand first. Holding lulav and esrog in opposite hands.

Rabbi pesach Krohn put together some booklet with halachos
http://thejewishreview.org/articles/?id=145

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 6:17 pm
boat wrote:
May come into play in halacha with holding food/object in left hand vs right when making Bracha. Washing left hand first. Holding lulav and esrog in opposite hands.

Rabbi pesach Krohn put together some booklet with halachos
http://thejewishreview.org/articles/?id=145

I have multiple left handed sons and they do all of the above. The most common is holding the becher in their left hands when they make kiddush.

I also bought them lefty pencil sharpeners recently-the righty ones are kinda awkward for them (they’re holding the pencil and sharpener the opposite way righties do so they have to turn it in the other direction to sharpen) but by the time I got them for them they were already used to sharpening the righty way (which I assume what happens to the rest of the lefty world).

In my house, the lefties outnumber the righties!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 6:42 pm
My lefty son was told that besides for tefillin he should do everything like a righty.

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 6:58 pm
honeymoon wrote:
how are left handed pens different than right handed pens?

They are angled in a way to keep your hands off the paper so you don't end up with an ink stain on your hand... Apparently they are also more comfortable.. not a lefty so haven't used it.. I mostly got it as a gag gift

Maped Visio Left Handed Pens, Assorted Colors, Pack of 3 (224324) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008.....NDFYE

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:14 pm
singleagain wrote:
They are angled in a way to keep your hands off the paper so you don't end up with an ink stain on your hand... Apparently they are also more comfortable.. not a lefty so haven't used it.. I mostly got it as a gag gift

Maped Visio Left Handed Pens, Assorted Colors, Pack of 3 (224324) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008.....NDFYE

So regular pens are not actually biased, but for writing in languages left to right (such as english), smudging is very common for lefties. Really the pen will make no difference, unless the ink is supposed to not smudge. I realize that you got it as a gag gift, of course. My father is a lefty and his Hebrew is beautiful, English not so much.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:46 pm
All things left handed including can openers.

https://www.leftyslefthanded.com/

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:50 pm
Just what makes you so sure you know your son's natural inclination toward left handedness?

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:12 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
So regular pens are not actually biased, but for writing in languages left to right (such as english), smudging is very common for lefties. Really the pen will make no difference, unless the ink is supposed to not smudge. I realize that you got it as a gag gift, of course. My father is a lefty and his Hebrew is beautiful, English not so much.

So the left handed pens are also regular Hebrew pens.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:19 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
So the left handed pens are also regular Hebrew pens.

By regular, you mean "for righties" Smile

cbsp

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:29 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

Actually, as a lefty, I find that pens stop working for me (especially gel) but I can give them to a righty and they will continue to work for them.

🤷🏼‍♀️

Maybe something to do with the angle and how the ink flows in the tube?

The smudging thing is another whole can of worms.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:33 pm
cbsp wrote:
Actually, as a lefty, I find that pens stop working for me (especially gel) but I can give them to a righty and they will continue to work for them.

🤷🏼‍♀️

Maybe something to do with the angle and how the ink flows in the tube?

The smudging thing is another whole can of worms.

Do you hook your wrist when you write?

cbsp

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:35 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

Nope. I never knew I was "supposed" to do that until I was much older.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:39 pm
cbsp wrote:
Nope. I never knew I was "supposed" to do that until I was much older.

You probably are more comfortable without Smile

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:13 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

It's actually really bad from an ergonomic perspective to hook your wrist when you write, so I wouldn't encourage any left handed kids to do this.

Just so you know, op, one of my kids seemed to be a definite lefty. He used both hands normally, but always used his left hand for feeding himself and picking up objects etc. Lo and behold he switched over after age three and he's now a strong righty. So its probably too early to make the call.

koalamum

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:36 pm
Regarding scissors... I am a lefty and it’s very hard to use scissors that are specifically for righties, where the handles have 2 different sizes. However, it’s good enough to use scissors that have equal sized handles. They are easier to find and more likely to have better quality than scissors specifically for lefties.

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:10 pm
koalamum wrote:
Regarding scissors... I am a lefty and it’s very hard to use scissors that are specifically for righties, where the handles have 2 different sizes. However, it’s good enough to use scissors that have equal sized handles. They are easier to find and more likely to have better quality than scissors specifically for lefties.

I really am a pronounced lefty and scissors are the only implement that I can't adapt to. Most lefties just be living in the world are probably forced to be more ambidextrous than right handed people because stuff you don't think about like door knows generally are geared to righties.

I did get my vengeance with my remodel as I relocated the dishwasher to the LEFT of the sink so I can load and unload with my left hand. The drain is also located on the left rear side of the sink Very Happy

Research on lefties is quite interesting in terms of how the brain works since the left side of the brain in righties controls the right side and is generally thought to control logical thinking versus the right side of the brain which controls creative stuff. However, it is unclear whether the lines are so demarcated for lefties which is why lefties have been associated with disproportionate levels of creative thinking.

On the other hand we are supposed to die young Very Happy
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics