Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Jodie/Jody
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:35 pm
Of course! But Jodie Foster must be well into her 50s by now.

nchr

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:06 pm
amother [ Black ] wrote:
According to the SSA, Benjamin is the 6th most popular name for boys in the US. Max is 89 -- above David.

In any case, the point is that names cycle.

Because it is used by Christian's and is a safe name. So Ocean and Jax are trendy but people may refrain from using them because they are looking for something more unique which is the trend. I mean if I could name my children anything I'd probably go with Wren for a boy and Willow for a girl but both are not trendy at all.

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:33 pm
These names are popular regardless of religious status. I don't work in a specifically Christian or even very religious area, much more urban. It's pretty diverse, even some Jewish kids though not always halachically. (I actually just found out a current student named Ben is Jewish when he said something recently about celebrating Hannukah.)
And you may hear of an Ocean or Jax here and there but those are given by people who are a bit pretentious (imo) and are looking for a "unique" name, not a trendy one.
ETA: I did have a student (girl) named Wren once. And a boy who went by "Ren" short for Lawrence.

amother
Bronze

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:51 pm
hannah22 wrote:
What do you think of the name Jodie/Jody for a girl? I think it's pretty and sweet.
Also it is a derivative of Judith/Judy so it is also a Hebrew name, as a girl I knew from school named Jodie has the Hebrew name Judith (female form of Judah/Yehudah)

I had a colleague by the name Jodi, she is a serious psychopath. Avoid if possible.

naomi2

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 9:56 pm
I just think of Jodi Arias so definite NO

nchr

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:20 pm
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
These names are popular regardless of religious status. I don't work in a specifically Christian or even very religious area, much more urban. It's pretty diverse, even some Jewish kids though not always halachically. (I actually just found out a current student named Ben is Jewish when he said something recently about celebrating Hannukah.)
And you may hear of an Ocean or Jax here and there but those are given by people who are a bit pretentious (imo) and are looking for a "unique" name, not a trendy one.
ETA: I did have a student (girl) named Wren once. And a boy who went by "Ren" short for Lawrence.

Off topic, but- do you find your children have a lot of repeat names or there is a wide variety of names within a classroom?

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:35 pm
I know multiple women/girls named Jody. They were popular. It is a fun name and rolls of the tongue well.
Most important is if YOU like it.

There are plenty of names people here think are wonderful that I would never consider in my circles. You need to know your audience before you ask.
(I may not work if everyone else in her school is Frumma, Gittel, Hindy, and Sprintza)

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:47 pm
nchr wrote:
Off topic, but- do you find your children have a lot of repeat names or there is a wide variety of names within a classroom?

Both, I guess. Overall on any given class list you can expect to find a good amount of the old fashioned/back in use names like Georgia/Madeline/Virginia/Harry/William etc, so there could be 2 or 3 kids in the same class with that name. Plus lots of biblical names especially for girls, Hannah was super popular a few years ago, and there would be several in the same grade. The newest trend, of unisex last names for first names tend to not repeat because they are more unique and less common, like the name Reagan or Hadley for a girl.

dorothy1

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 11:58 pm
nchr wrote:
I dont think Max and Ben are still used. Emily is not uber popular either - Amelia maybe. But people should be able to use whatever they like assuming it is not offensive (I.e. fowl language etc )

Emily is a top 5 name in America and has been for at least 5 years.
Max and Ben are both top 20 and also have been for years .

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 12:08 am
dorothy1 wrote:
Emily is a top 5 name in America and has been for at least 5 years.
Max and Ben are both top 20 and also have been for years .

Emily is not a top 5 name ATM but was a few years ago. Do you mean Emma? I don't like either name but Emily is particularly dated. Max was popular in the 80s and 90s but was recently a safe name. Dont know much about Ben.

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 12:14 am
Emma was super popular like 10 years ago. Emily, more like 5. But neither would be considered dated and are still fairly common. Kind of like Olivia or Sophia. Both Max and Ben are still pretty popular. I'm not basing this on baby name lists, just name trends I've observed at my school.

dorothy1

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 12:46 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
Emily is not a top 5 name ATM but was a few years ago. Do you mean Emma? I don't like either name but Emily is particularly dated. Max was popular in the 80s and 90s but was recently a safe name. Dont know much about Ben.

Oh yeah you’re right , Emma !
I actually love baby names . I didn’t grow up frum so I had all these names planned for my kids ... Elliot and Caroline etc .... now j go on baby names forums for fun haha Cool

amother
Navy

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 12:54 am
nchr wrote:
But people should be able to use whatever they like assuming it is not offensive (I.e. fowl language etc )

Fowl language names such as Jay, Alouette, Paloma, Raven, or perhaps Faigel or Tzipporah? Wink

Frumwithallergies

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 1:03 am
amother [ Navy ] wrote:
Fowl language names such as Jay, Alouette, Paloma, Raven, or perhaps Faigel or Tzipporah? Wink
LOL LOL LOL

shaqued_almond

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 1:03 am
I would choose Judith as the name but call her Jodi as a nickname

dorothy1

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 1:07 am
Fun fact:
Jody was originally a boy name . As were many current popular non jewish girl names like Vivienne , Lindsay , Madison , Ashley ...

amother
Scarlet

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 1:10 am
Sure. Like in that old book, The Yearling. Circa 100 years ago, or more....

Odelyah

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 1:37 am
amother [ Bronze ] wrote:
I had a colleague by the name Jodi, she is a serious psychopath. Avoid if possible.

haha and I have a friend jodi (about 30 yrs old ftr) who is an absolutely wonderful person Smile

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 4:48 am
dorothy1 wrote:
Fun fact:
Jody was originally a boy name . As were many current popular non jewish girl names like Vivienne , Lindsay , Madison , Ashley ...

Madison was originally a boy's name? If you Google, you'll fin that it was originally a last name, like Robinson. As far as its use as a first name I thought that it originated with Splash, that movie about the mermaid who takes her name from Madison Avenue?

Rappel

Post Fri, Dec 13 2019, 5:00 am
I went to school with a Jody not too long ago, and she is a wonderful, sweet, giving person. Smile She's my association with that name
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names