Home

Tiferes siferes tifara sifara baby name
1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


amother




OP
 

Post  Thu, Dec 12 2019, 7:58 pm
I love the meaning of the word and I believe it's also a name. What's the most common version of it as a girl's name? Are all used? I don't know anyone by the name at all, I just think I heard it in passing.
To add: tiferet, siferet too.
Back to top

daagahminayin




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:32 pm
I’ve only heard Tiferet
Back to top

amother




Purple
 

Post  Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:34 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
I’ve only heard Tiferet


Same, and I only know one.
Back to top

wiki




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:35 pm
I've never seen it spelled in any Ashkenazis way, only "Tiferet." It is beautiful however you slice it, but probably will cause lots of confusion if rendered as "Siferes."
Back to top

Moonlight




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:35 pm
Just tiferet
Back to top

amother




Brunette
 

Post  Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:38 pm
Tiferes or Tiferet.

I think that grammatically even if it is "Besifara" in the middle of a word it is "Tifara" alone, same with "Lesiferes" but "Tiferes" alone.
Back to top

amother




Jade
 

Post  Thu, Dec 12 2019, 8:41 pm
It is ungrammatical to place a saf at the beginning of a word. Do you remember learning about bg'd kf's?
A word could start with a saf only if connected to the previous word, ie. a compound word.
Back to top

Odelyah




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:04 pm
yes I was going to say the same-- Tiferes would be Ashkenazi pronunciation (although I've never met one). Tiferet (or more authentically Tifereth-- but basically no one does this anymore) would be Sepharadi.

fun fact that the correct Ashkenazi pronunciation of "Seresh" in the megillah (as in Bigsan's co-conspirator) is actually Teresh. It never appears that way in the megillah because it's always bigsan v'seresh-- it's never the first letter so it always loses the dagesh. But if you say "Bigsan and Seresh" in English you should actually say "and Teresh". Even if you're Ashkenazi

Ok dikduk lesson over Smile
Back to top

Odelyah




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:06 pm
btw I happen to think the name Tifara is really pretty-- I know of one Tifara
Back to top

amother




Aqua
 

Post  Thu, Dec 12 2019, 10:12 pm
That's my name!
I also know Tifara - like from Adon Olam, same Shoresh. Sort of like Ayelet/Ayala?
Back to top

Ruchel




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Dec 13 2019, 5:27 am
tiferes I've seen
Back to top

essie14




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Dec 13 2019, 6:02 am
I know many Tiferet's and 2 Tifara's.
Back to top

banana123




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, Dec 13 2019, 6:56 am
I've only seen Tiferet.
Back to top

amother




Slategray
 

Post  Fri, Dec 13 2019, 9:24 am
I know multiple people named Tiferet.
All great girls. One goes by Tiffy (she is REALLY cute).
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Dec 18 2019, 9:39 am
amother [ Jade ] wrote:
It is ungrammatical to place a saf at the beginning of a word. Do you remember learning about bg'd kf's?
A word could start with a saf only if connected to the previous word, ie. a compound word.


I don't remember much dikduk at all, no. But as it happens, I've been paying particular attention while davening and saying tehilim and I've noticed many times words, not compounds, beginning with a saf. Straight up starting with a saf. Not to disagree with your point on the dikduk rule, but perhaps there are exceptions, as I've found in the sidur and tehilim? Specifically today's tehilim, perek 89:18. It says, "ki siferes uzumo atah..."

I'm genuinely wondering on the answer now.
Back to top

amother




Teal
 

Post  Wed, Dec 18 2019, 11:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I don't remember much dikduk at all, no. But as it happens, I've been paying particular attention while davening and saying tehilim and I've noticed many times words, not compounds, beginning with a saf. Straight up starting with a saf. Not to disagree with your point on the dikduk rule, but perhaps there are exceptions, as I've found in the sidur and tehilim? Specifically today's tehilim, perek 89:18. It says, "ki siferes uzumo atah..."

I'm genuinely wondering on the answer now.


If the preceding word ends in א,ה,ו. or י, then a word is usually pronounced as though it doesn't have a dot (dagesh) in the first letter.

The "ahoy" rule makes for a smoother transition between words.
Back to top

amother




OP
 

Post  Wed, Dec 18 2019, 12:05 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
If the preceding word ends in א,ה,ו. or י, then a word is usually pronounced as though it doesn't have a dot (dagesh) in the first letter.

The "ahoy" rule makes for a smoother transition between words.


Thanks! So if the word is by itself, like a name, it would be a taf, for sure?
Back to top

amother




Teal
 

Post  Wed, Dec 18 2019, 12:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks! So if the word is by itself, like a name, it would be a taf, for sure?


Yes
Back to top

amother




Linen
 

Post  Thu, Dec 19 2019, 1:07 pm
Odelyah wrote:
yes I was going to say the same-- Tiferes would be Ashkenazi pronunciation (although I've never met one). Tiferet (or more authentically Tifereth-- but basically no one does this anymore) would be Sepharadi.

fun fact that the correct Ashkenazi pronunciation of "Seresh" in the megillah (as in Bigsan's co-conspirator) is actually Teresh. It never appears that way in the megillah because it's always bigsan v'seresh-- it's never the first letter so it always loses the dagesh. But if you say "Bigsan and Seresh" in English you should actually say "and Teresh". Even if you're Ashkenazi

Ok dikduk lesson over Smile


And if it would be written the other way around you'd read it Teresh v'Vigsan because the dagesh would be removed from the beis and make it a veis!
Back to top

Odelyah




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Dec 19 2019, 1:39 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
And if it would be written the other way around you'd read it Teresh v'Vigsan because the dagesh would be removed from the beis and make it a veis!


exactly! and we'd all think his name was vigsan! Smile maybe even some sephardim Smile

(although the more authentic sephardi pronunciation of a beis without a dagesh is a softer B sound, not a v, but that's kind of dying out as well..)
Back to top
1, 2  Next Recent Topics

Page 1 of 2 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Bed for baby nurse
by amother
2 Today at 9:38 pm View last post
Baby Crying in Bed :(
by amother
17 Yesterday at 9:41 pm View last post
Having baby at 42 - what baby gear must I buy?
by queen
31 Yesterday at 7:45 pm View last post
Desperately seeking baby nurse in Brooklyn
by amother
5 Thu, Jan 16 2020, 10:30 pm View last post
Yiddish name Zora? 4 Thu, Jan 16 2020, 8:28 am View last post

Jump to: