Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do you buy pre-checked leafy green vegetables for salads?
Previous  1  2  3

Do you buy pre-checked (or greenhouse grown) leafy green vegetables?
Yes  
 78%  [ 157 ]
No  
 21%  [ 42 ]
Total Votes : 199

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 2:16 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Please explain why it's different for you at home or in a restaurant. What if your buying a salad from takeout a d bringing it home?

Maybe because you have to be in a real Heilig level to stop eating in restaurants.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 2:17 pm
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
Please explain why it's different for you at home or in a restaurant. What if your buying a salad from takeout a d bringing it home?

It's not different. But since I can do a preferred method at home, I do. Though it's not my primary reason for checking myself; I do it for economic reasons. Otherwise I'll eat any lettuce with a hechsher that I rely on, whether at home or out.

finprof

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:55 pm
No, I'm cheap and checking with a thrip cloth and light box doesn't take long.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:03 pm
I asked a Mashgiach if he knows whether people find insects in Organic Girl leafy greens.

His answer was definitely yes, and Im not checking enough.

Im checking with a magnifying glass, and a 40X jewelers loupe (as if the checkers at the commercially "checked vegetables" companies are doing more than I am).

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I asked a Mashgiach if he knows whether people find insects in Organic Girl leafy greens.

His answer was definitely yes, and Im not checking enough.

Im checking with a magnifying glass, and a 40X jewelers loupe (as if the checkers at the commercially "checked vegetables" companies are doing more than I am).

Magnifying glasses and loupes are not required by halacha. We are all eating lots of micro organisms that cannot be seen by the naked eye. Crc has an app, or you can use their site, with instructions how to check. (so does o-u, o-k, and probably others). You can also ask that same mashgiach how to check. Follow instructions, and you are halachically compliant.

If you feel you need a loupe, please go see someone for possible OCD tendencies.

Brachie69

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 12:28 am
finprof wrote:
No, I'm cheap and checking with a thrip cloth and light box doesn't take long.

Much fresher and better tasting as well!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:07 am
amother [ Amber ] wrote:
If you feel you need a loupe, please go see someone for possible OCD tendencies.

Please take that up with the Star K, who sells the jewelers loupes.

BTW, with checking with a thrip cloth and magnifying glass, and jewelers loupe a Mashgiach at CRC told me Im not checking enough, if I never found any insects in Organic Girl pre-checked leafy greens. Im ready to cry. What

amother
Denim

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Please take that up with the Star K, who sells the jewelers loupes.

BTW, with checking with a thrip cloth and magnifying glass, and jewelers loupe a Mashgiach at CRC told me Im not checking enough, if I never found any insects in Organic Girl pre-checked leafy greens. Im ready to cry. What

It's possible that you aren't familiar enough with what you should be looking for. Also, how many boxes have you checked and found perfectly clean? If it's five I'm not surprised, and I don't think a mashgiach would dispute that possibility. If it's fifty, I agree that you may need more guidance in checking.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:22 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
It's possible that you aren't familiar enough with what you should be looking for. Also, how many boxes have you checked and found perfectly clean? If it's five I'm not surprised, and I don't think a mashgiach would dispute that possibility. If it's fifty, I agree that you may need more guidance in checking.

Great! I live in BP, where do I get guidance?
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen