Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chulent in crock-pot

porcupine04

Post Sat, Dec 14 2019, 10:23 pm
Looking for the best way to make chulent in a crockpot. We usually put it up around noon on friday and have it on low until shabbos lunch. We find that the meat gets pretty dry and the chulent somehow gets more watery the longer it cooks. We actually tasted it on friday night this week and it was much better than on Shabbos day. Any tips? My crockpot does have a keep warm setting, but I am nervous it is not hot enough from a food-safety perspective. Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 14 2019, 10:28 pm
Use one big chunk of meat, do not use cubes, and place it on top of the cholent. Do not submerge it. It sounds counterintuitive, but it results in delicious tender meat.

amother
White

Post Sat, Dec 14 2019, 10:29 pm
I keep the crock pot on high all Friday and through Shabbos. Meat is always soft and moist, even if not in the liquid. Maybe try a different cut of meat? I only put in enough water to cover all the ingredients. I use brown rice instead of barley. But either way the cholent comes out similarly textured.

LolaGuac

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 7:31 am
Try different meats. Meats with more marbling will stay more tender on low overnight. You may also want to try seeding the meat in a skillet before adding it to the cholent.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 9:28 am
I start my cholent cooking Friday morning with beans and spices on low or Medium depending on time. I soak Thursday evening to Friday morning. I turn to keep warm with meat and eggs just before Shabbos. The beans are not completely cooked when I add the meat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen