Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Floss dance
Previous  1  2

shmosmom

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 1:37 pm
amother [ Teal ] wrote:
I think it's inappropriate to label it as inappropriate. You're assigning a bad meaning to something innocent.

🙌👏👏👏

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 1:56 pm
thanks for the visual bigsis -- not exactly what I was picturing

still as for " inappropriate" just like little girls who dress tznius are innocent 100% this is not about saying a child is not innocent! of course they are! whether they dress or act tznius the kids are all innocent B"H! its not about that

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 3:10 pm
I don't understand why there's no control here. It's called parenting, folks. Teach your children to respect your authority. It doesn't matter if the dance is good, bad, vulgar, or nice. If mom says no, that should be the end of the discussion.

I get so tired of permissive parenting and then parents complaining when kids don't listen.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 3:51 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
I don't understand why there's no control here. It's called parenting, folks. Teach your children to respect your authority. It doesn't matter if the dance is good, bad, vulgar, or nice. If mom says no, that should be the end of the discussion.

I get so tired of permissive parenting and then parents complaining when kids don't listen.

Smart parenting is all about picking your battles. If you say no to everything, then kids either disobey some things because it's absurd and then disobey everything else because they're used to not listening to you, or they listen to everything you force them to do while you still can, but then rebel against everything once you can no longer control them. Don't win the battle and lose the war. Scorched earth is not a smart strategy.

malki2

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 4:08 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:
Smart parenting is all about picking your battles. If you say no to everything, then kids either disobey some things because it's absurd and then disobey everything else because they're used to not listening to you, or they listen to everything you force them to do while you still can, but then rebel against everything once you can no longer control them. Don't win the battle and lose the war. Scorched earth is not a smart strategy.

So you know enough about everyone’s situation here to the point that you can decide for them what battle you pick? This discussion is about the merits or otherwise of a particular dance. Not about general chinuch philosophy.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 4:12 pm

Last edited by amother on Sun, Dec 15 2019, 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 4:14 pm
amother [ Chocolate ] wrote:

Tell yourself that. Strict parenting doesn't raise rebels. You raise respectful children. Permissive parenting raises spoiled entiled brats without respect.

Gradually your children learn to make decisions. At that point the respect instilled in them guides them to make decisions that show resurrect.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 4:20 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

This is an oppositionally defiant child (haven't had an official diagnosis, but he'd get it if I took him). He openly defies our authority and we've mostly chosen to ignore it, but its getting incessant, and yes he'a bit more "aware of anatomy" than my other kids. He makes a lot of "butt" jokes and we're trying to work on touching appropriately at home and at school (nothing egregious--yet, but its becoming an issue). He likes looking at "tushies" and pulls down his pants at home sometimes/walks around naked after his shower etc. If he was "just dancing" I wouldn't necessarily care, but I know he's aware of private parts so I don't know if he's doing it on purpose. I know its not an openly-offensive dance but given his other behaviors of late I don't know what to do with him.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 4:43 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:

This falls into the category of you are driving me nuts with that dance. Please do it when I’m not around.

You really can’t expect to control your children to the point of ‘don’t move your arms and sway your hips’. The dance isn’t vulgar.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children