Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby girl Yiddish names
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 9:16 am
nchr wrote:
And BTW halachically your name is what you're called so if your called Max with no Hebrew name that is your name etc. My son's English name is Bear because I liked the name but his Hebrew name is not related at all but obviously if he would get chv divorced (he's a toddler name) they'd write his English name because it is halachically his name.

They would right ANY name that is his, English, Hebrew, nickname, middle name, pet name that grandma who died when he was 15 insisted on calling him....

Laiya

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 9:18 am
nchr wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Rav who you mentioned said Yiddish is fine vecause they have a history of a name v modern words like Shira or Tehila which have no mesorah as a name and are just words. He may have had an issue with silky or have wanted to change her mazal, which is separate. I think there is even a video where people ask about Shira and he says it is not a good name and then then list a bunch of names (some in Yiddish) and he calls them good.

I found what I wrote in another thread translating the video. Disclaimer I'm not Yeshivish.. Rav Feitman asked Rav Kanievsky if Yiddish names are all good. And what about Shira and Rina. Rav Kanievsky first responded no difference, but it sounds like he may have been referring to Yiddish names and then says no to Shira and offers Sarah instead of Shira. Then Rav Feitman clarifies by saying only names that have been accepted/used in Klal Yisroel and not a word for a posuk. Rav Kanviesky, still referring to Shira, says it is a non jewish name. Then Rav Feitman asks if it being in a posuk helps (to make it acceptable) and Rav Kanievsky responds that it doesn't help.

On the other hand, men generally don't have Yiddish names unless they also have a Hebrew. So every Hersh is also Tzvi and every Mendel is also Menachem. Woman, however, who used to not need to participate in Jewish life (and therefore did not need a Lashon Hakodesh) name often have just Yiddish names- some of them are names from other languages like Ettel, Basha, Charna etc. While others are Jewishized versions of secular names like Shprintza from Esperanza. Some of them are nicknames for Lashon Hakodesh names like Riva. And still others are just middos or animals and pretty things etc. from the actual Yiddish language like Gittel, Yittel, Hinda, Blima, etc. Some are used to imply life like Alta. Etc. But as much as you want to call them annoying they do have a mesorah as having been used as names and by Jews as names.

Interestingly, it wasn't unheard of for Zionistic non religious Hebrew school teachers in the US, in the years after WWII, to ask children to choose Hebrew names for themselves instead of their Yiddish names. Maybe it was this type of mindset that Rav Kanievsky opposed?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 9:19 am
Yes Tuna is a real name but spelled in Yiddish doesn't look so bad. My best friend in school was תאנה, we called her Tuni. Surprisingly she had 2 names the other one a standard name. I wonder why she was called Tuni.
But the name grew on me and I don't think of it as weird. I wouldn't name my child that though.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 9:19 am
nchr wrote:
That's an interesting stance. I'm asking because if you do then I'd learn something new. As of now, I've heard this opinion from multiple rabobim including ones who are not frum. I'm not asking to prove you don't know anyone - I'm asking to prove myself wrong I suppose.

I’m not taking a stance. It just felt like your post was a challenge, and I don’t respond to challenges. I will give you one example. I know someone named Dovid Hersh. No Tzvi involved. The parents were Baalei Teshuva, but sought halachic guidance when naming their children.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 9:23 am
morningsickness wrote:
I knew a Silky. She got Cancer and Rav Chaim Kanievsky had her chance her name. He's against Yiddish names in general.

I also know A Tzeitel. Dunno what is means. Also know a Dreiza..again, have no clue what is means. Know a Tzurtel too..

Reina means princess, maybe in Ladino too? Or is it Regina?

Reyna means queen in Spanish, but Yiddish it means tahara. It's the Yiddish version of Catherine.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 9:25 am
I agree that giving highly unusual names for your kids isn't fair.
A family member has a cousin named Tultza Kroina- I kid you not! In a regular Yiddish speaking chassidish environment that is a very very weird name.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 9:26 am
asmileaday wrote:
I agree that giving highly unusual names for your kids isn't fair.
A family member has a cousin named Tultza Kroina- I kid you not! In a regular Yiddish speaking chassidish environment that is a very very weird name.

What do either of those names mean?

gamanit

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 9:46 am
Ema of 4 wrote:

I'd guess kroina means crown. Kind of like Atara.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 9:47 am
gamanit wrote:
I'd guess kroina means crown. Kind of like Atara.

Interesting. And Tultza?

gamanit

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 9:48 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Interesting. And Tultza?

No clue. Maybe someone who speaks a better yiddish than me can chime in.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 9:49 am
Ema of 4 wrote:

I have no idea!

MommyM

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 9:59 am
nchr wrote:
Can you name me a frum from birth person whose parents are not BT named Mendy or Hersh?

Yes, there is a Mendel I know of that was named without the name Menachem as the parents wanted to name after the Lubavitcher Rebbe, but one of the grandparents has the name Menachem. And yes, the parents and grandparents are all frum. There are probably others out there who were named with only one for the same reason.

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 10:39 am
According to Salt's linked Yiddish name directory, Toltse means sweet.
Any other place I tried to google, my filter blocked it out for safety reasons, I guess it means, "Stay away, and don't name your kid, with such an odd name" lol

According to other sites, it just gives general history of Jewish names & suggests toltse is a variation of Secular name in host country like Dolce. Other people with this name gave themselves an English name in America like Telsa, Elsie, etc.

He also writes in olden days name would be bullied like calling someone'Teltzl my heltzl' like a piece of wood- klutz

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 10:48 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
They would right ANY name that is his, English, Hebrew, nickname, middle name, pet name that grandma who died when he was 15 insisted on calling him....

Right on get divorce papers they would include "All" names a person is called by/associated with

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 11:06 am
Ema of 4 wrote:

I know a Menucha called Nichy and her get only says Menucha and Nicha not Nichy. It depends on the nickname and who writes the get. I also know a person with an English and Hebrew name but is never called her Hebrew name and the Rav did only the English name on the get so there are exceptions. And also not all pet names because I think a certain amount of ppl need to recognize the name or it needs to be a real name as a opposed to baby fluff

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 11:33 am
Ema of 4 wrote:
Interesting. And Tultza?

Tultza Kroina is a combo in Chassidish circles. I know more than one family, unrelated, with such a name in their family. I wonder if they even know the meaning.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 11:46 am
I have a niece named Rudi (Ruda) and a niece named Eki (Eka). Her great grandmother was named Eka, many of her grandchildren arent thrilled to use the name, but her mother in law insisted that anyone who adds a name should rather not give the name - she wants the name to be used.
So far she's a toddler so she hasn't encountered any issues but it's a prime name to make fun of. But her family is treating it as a normal name, so hopefully she wont have any issues....

etky

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 11:49 am
So my middle name is Etka.
Can someone tell me if it is a real name or just a diminutive for Ettie which I'm assuming is in itself a nickname for Esther?

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 11:50 am
dankbar wrote:
risel. nissel. rudel.

ekka.

I heard a mom calling her dgtr Eky, to me it seemed lke yucky

are we related????

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 11:50 am
nchr wrote:
My cousins have a Roizel and a Raizel. Guess that would fit for your example.

My best friend has that, a raizy and a roizy. Hmmm, do you know me? Very Happy Very Happy
Page 6 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names