Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby girl Yiddish names
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:51 pm
I have a son named yehuda and a son named Aryeh.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:52 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I agree that giving highly unusual names for your kids isn't fair.
A family member has a cousin named Tultza Kroina- I kid you not! In a regular Yiddish speaking chassidish environment that is a very very weird name.

I have a cousin like taht too.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm related to everyone in this thread LOL

asmileaday

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:59 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

Aren't we all related some way or other!? (She's a twin, are we talking about the same one Very Happy ?)

My sil also has 2 nieces from the same family named Roizy and Raizy. I think it's a bit unusual.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 3:02 pm
Mama Bear wrote:

I’ll be the only one you’re not related to....I’ve never even heard most of the names mentioned here!!

asmileaday

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 3:08 pm
I used to know a Rudi, she was a cute girl, so the name seemed cute. But again I wouldn't name my kid that.
I have a cousin Mamme'le. Sorry that's a no go too. As a kid I thought it was a strange name. Like a mini Mom- a kleine Mammele.
I know a few with the name Yachy - the name is Yachet. Again, the person can make the name seem cute but it's not the most flattering name.

asmileaday

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 3:09 pm
I apologize in advance if anyone on here has any of these names that I find weird! No offense meant.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 3:40 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Yes Tuna is a real name but spelled in Yiddish doesn't look so bad. My best friend in school was תאנה, we called her Tuni. Surprisingly she had 2 names the other one a standard name. I wonder why she was called Tuni.
But the name grew on me and I don't think of it as weird. I wouldn't name my child that though.

My daughters friend finally got a baby sister after many years being an only girl. The baby’s name is tuni and the kid refused to tell her class what her name is for a while.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 3:43 pm
asmileaday wrote:
I used to know a Rudi, she was a cute girl, so the name seemed cute. But again I wouldn't name my kid that.
I have a cousin Mamme'le. Sorry that's a no go too. As a kid I thought it was a strange name. Like a mini Mom- a kleine Mammele.
I know a few with the name Yachy - the name is Yachet. Again, the person can make the name seem cute but it's not the most flattering name.

I know several kids with the name mammele, all named after the same grandparent (obviously.) It def raised eyebrows whence my kids were still young.
My Niece happens to be a very cute yachy. Very common here with zero negative associations.

just me!!

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 3:50 pm
Has anyone ever heard of the name Rasha?
honestly I know someone called this!

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 6:03 pm
just me!! wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of the name Rasha?
honestly I know someone called this!

My grandmother was Rasha (rhymes with Tasha, not rusha) and there are numerous great grandchildren named after her. I personally would use Rosa or Roza, and have told my mother this.

nchr

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 6:58 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I’m not taking a stance. It just felt like your post was a challenge, and I don’t respond to challenges. I will give you one example. I know someone named Dovid Hersh. No Tzvi involved. The parents were Baalei Teshuva, but sought halachic guidance when naming their children.

So that is a valid example. I didn't mean it that way at all, but I assume intentions can be distorted via message boards, especially since there are no tones and there is no knowledge of the personalities of the people communicating. I apologize.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:15 am
amother [ Scarlet ] wrote:
My name is neither made up nor spelled uniquely, and I will let my kids know that their children do not have to use that name. I never ever ever ever use it. I do not like it. It is a burden. There is a Hebrew equivalent, which is beautiful. Although I never used the name, I spent years asking my parents why they didn’t just use the Hebrew equivalent.

Why would they? They either named for someone, or enjoyed it

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:15 am
Yittel imvho is Yehudis or Ita

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:16 am
nchr wrote:
My BIL asked the Berach Moshe and he told him no Yittel for a Gittel mother. Different groups may have different minhagin. For example, according to the Munkatcher shita you can have one son Yaakov Yitzchok and another Yehuda Yaakov because they believe the name is the entire name so two names together would be halachically one name.

My sefardic cousins have

My heimish cousins have, say, Baruch and Bracha

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:19 am
nchr wrote:
And BTW halachically your name is what you're called so if your called Max with no Hebrew name that is your name etc. My son's English name is Bear because I liked the name but his Hebrew name is not related at all but obviously if he would get chv divorced (he's a toddler name) they'd write his English name because it is halachically his name.

Unless you were given a name. Most boys bh bh still have a bris. Some girls may be, Julie, "for aunt Yutel".

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:40 am
Laiya wrote:
Interestingly, it wasn't unheard of for Zionistic non religious Hebrew school teachers in the US, in the years after WWII, to ask children to choose Hebrew names for themselves instead of their Yiddish names. Maybe it was this type of mindset that Rav Kanievsky opposed?

I have a friend who had a problem in a school, the parents refused for her to hebraicize. In fact I also know a girl whose name was say, Fani, for a grandmother - charedi, ffb, and all. The parents never let people do.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:44 am
Yacha is possible jacinth. What's the problem?

Mammele "amuletic name" google it

amother
Scarlet

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:11 am
Ruchel wrote:
Why would they? They either named for someone, or enjoyed it

But THEY are not the ones going through life with it, I am. What was the point of giving me a name that I refuse to use? In fact, the only time that name EVER got used was when I was in major trouble, or when people wanted to tease me. I didn’t grow up in a society where Yiddish names were super common.
Before giving a child a very unique name, no matter what language it is, just think about how that child will feel, and think about whether the child will be teased or not....

finallyamommy

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:31 am
I just want to say that this thread is fascinating. I've never heard of a lot of these names!

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:16 am
nchr wrote:
And BTW halachically your name is what you're called so if your called Max with no Hebrew name that is your name etc. My son's English name is Bear because I liked the name but his Hebrew name is not related at all but obviously if he would get chv divorced (he's a toddler name) they'd write his English name because it is halachically his name.

The issues come up when writing kesubas. My name is unusual, not Yiddish or Hebrew, and they did a of research before my wedding to figure out the correct way to spell it on the kesuba. The person I was named after spelled one way, other family members with the name spell it another way, and the rav wanted to make sure he was spelling it correctly on my kesuba.

Funny story, when one of my kids was in the hospital, people were texting me to find out how to spell my name for saying kuf yud tes. And I had to tell them I wasn't sure and wouldn't know until I got home and checked my kesuba!
Page 7 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names