Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby girl Yiddish names
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:05 am
The name "TOLTZA KROINA" is definitely linked to one person......

Someone mentioned upthread that she know different families unrelated that both have the name.

I'd venture to say that having this name definitely means they are related! Maybe they just don't know how to make the connections directly (or the poster doesn't...)

I married into a family descendants of Toltza Kroina BTW.

nchr

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:42 am
amother [ Floralwhite ] wrote:
The name "TOLTZA KROINA" is definitely linked to one person......

Someone mentioned upthread that she know different families unrelated that both have the name.

I'd venture to say that having this name definitely means they are related! Maybe they just don't know how to make the connections directly (or the poster doesn't...)

I married into a family descendants of Toltza Kroina BTW.

I know two families who are entirely not related that have this name. Just like there could be two Miriam Henchas, etc. One family is of typical Eastern Europen Descent. The other is Russian and know for a fact they are not related. Interestingly enough, a friend whose grandmother has a very unique name (you can PM me for that name if you want) and she met someone with the same name with no relation at all either. History channel did a special on their ancestors so they can go back very very many generations and she knows they are not related....

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:35 am
Yachy happens to be a cute name, most kids named yachy are cute Very Happy.
Mammele was a well known personality, Mrs. Lichter, anyone named Mammele is probably her descendant.

nchr

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:48 am
My friend's cousin has a daughter with the name Alta Shleema. She was told that the great grandmother was named after her mother's father who had been named Shlomo so his daughter just created her own name.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 12:25 pm
I think it is important that chasidish people (that speak yiddish, and use yiddish names) gives lists names.

Simply, because we use the names and know which ones are appropriate today.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 12:27 pm
Perhaps the link was centuries ago but it can also be random

nchr

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 1:01 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:
I think it is important that chasidish people (that speak yiddish, and use yiddish names) gives lists names.

There is some validity to that, but you should realize that outside of the Chassidish and other insular worlds, unique names are thought of as beautiful and meaningful. So it is less likely for someone to be teased for a name like Toltza than would be the case with the local who know which names are more common. The teasing is really something to be ashamed of - when parents name their children they have ruach hakodesh and are trying to honor someone, install a value in their child, express something they love, etc. and it is shameful to allow a child to or make a child think teasing someone for this (and anything) is even possible. Yes, I live in one of those communities and yes I have a child with an unusual name, but I felt this way before. I remember thinking it is appalling even as a child.

dankbar

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 1:31 pm
A name like chasya/chasha or glickel I think is a real shtetl name.
A name like kressel, krasia, tirtzah I've never heard anyone in my circles use in real life.
Then again all those weird uncommon names that come from an older generation, once an old bubbe of a family is nifter that beared such a European shtetl name, it resurfaces again & becomes common/heard of again when all the descendants start naming their babies like that.
Same is with old Rabbis & rebbetzins that owned uncommon names/or interesting combos, all of a sudden it becomes common when loads of people start naming after them.

Think Trany-skver. margulius. Sima Mirel. viznitz. alte Feiga. pessa leah. satmar. mushket- lubavitch.

Names like Bentzion, chaim zanvil, Meshilem Feish, shniur, Zalmen leib, Levi yitzchok became popular when some popular rebbes were nifter that weren't necessarily such common names before

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 1:53 pm
dankbar wrote:
A name like chasya/chasha or glickel I think is a real shtetl name.
A name like kressel, krasia, tirtzah I've never heard anyone in my circles use in real life.
Then again all those weird uncommon names that come from an older generation, once an old bubbe of a family is nifter that beared such a European shtetl name, it resurfaces again & becomes common/heard of again when all the descendants start naming their babies like that.
Same is with old Rabbis & rebbetzins that owned uncommon names/or interesting combos, all of a sudden it becomes common when loads of people start naming after them.

Think Trany-skver. margulius. Sima Mirel. viznitz. alte Feiga. pessa leah. satmar. mushket- lubavitch.

Names like Bentzion, chaim zanvil, Meshilem Feish, shniur, Zalmen leib, Levi yitzchok became popular when some popular rebbes were nifter that weren't necessarily such common names before

Only Mishkets I know are Satmar. Mushka would be Lubavitch. It is not the same name btw. I know Kressel's in real life. A very cool singer has a wonderful daughter named Shprintzy.

Esheschayil18

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 1:54 pm
A friend of mine with a not common name told me that she would never do it to her daughter.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 2:27 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:

I have a great something who was named Alta Lana. There is no one named after her AFAIK.
Page 8 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names