Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help me figure out if I can bill for this

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 11:33 pm
I am a freelance bookkeeper. Pretty new at freelancing but very experienced as a bookkeeper for an office for many years. The bank reconciliations took me a very long time. I keep saying maybe it’s my fault it took so long. But I did it and did it properly and took time. Would you bill for the full time or take some time off?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 11:40 pm
Did you provide a fee up front ? I do this type of work and so does my DH and we give a price beforehand regardless of how long it ends up taking us.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 11:41 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Did you provide a fee up front ? I do this type of work and so does my DH and we give a price beforehand regardless of how long it ends up taking us.

I charge by the hour.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 11:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I charge by the hour.

So then I don’t know. I would assume if it’s by the hour then you bill by the hour.

amother
Burgundy

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 11:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I charge by the hour.

Bill your time. Messy books take time.

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 11:46 pm
I would ask a few other freelance bookkeepers if a similar job (X number of entries) would take them a similar amount of time.

If they agree that it was excessive, I'd take some time off or bill less per hour.

If it's within the range of normal, I'd bill the full amount, although I might offer room for negotiation if I expected the client to be surprised.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 15 2019, 11:46 pm
amother [ Burgundy ] wrote:
Bill your time. Messy books take time.

Agree 100 percent on that. But I wrote up the books from January 1st. I was doing 11 bank and credit card reconciliation at once tonight nd took more time than usual. Not sure why. Usually if I download from the bank it’s so quick and nothing missing

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 12:23 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Agree 100 percent on that. But I wrote up the books from January 1st. I was doing 11 bank and credit card reconciliation at once tonight nd took more time than usual. Not sure why. Usually if I download from the bank it’s so quick and nothing missing

You are experienced at this. You should be able to point what’s happening.

Did you tell the client how long it was going to take? Did you contact them when you saw your estimate was off?

tryinghard

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 12:24 am
Is this a client who may use you again in the future? You may want to consider whether you will deter them from using you again... or conversely, whether future work from then would also take this long
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics