Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Parsnips and other root vegetables :)

Odelyah

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 12:13 pm
Hi Israeli Imas and anyone else in the know-- my daughter in seminary has a sore throat and asked me for my chicken soup recipe Smile and it occurred to me that some of the vegetables I always use here in the US might not be readily available in Israel. Parsnips, for example. Not sure what they are even called in Hebrew. I remember years ago there was something called shoresh lavan-- but I assume that's not parsnip? Or is it?

And what about turnips? Or parsley roots? TIA! Smile

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 12:20 pm
Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but parsnips aren't available here! I was so sad when I went to make my first stew, and my first braise. But parsley root definitely is and I use that instead, though it's not the same. It's called שרש פטרוזליה. Turnip is also available - it's called לפת.

Kol hakavod to your daughter for making the soup on her own!

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 1:38 pm
You can get parsnip (גזר לבן) here, but it's expensive. Better to use turnip and pumpkin, which are inexpensive and easy to find.

Odelyah

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 1:43 pm
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
Sorry to be the barer of bad news, but parsnips aren't available here! I was so sad when I went to make my first stew, and my first braise. But parsley root definitely is and I use that instead, though it's not the same. It's called שרש פטרוזליה. Turnip is also available - it's called לפת.

Kol hakavod to your daughter for making the soup on her own!

thanks! I was afraid of that when I couldn't easily find the hebrew name for parsnip Smile

yeah I use the other 2 interchangeably sometimes because they both add a strong savory depth but parsnips are sweet and very different (as you know) so in my soup I always use both parsnip and turnip/parsley root. I also use sweet potato (batata Smile) for sweetness so maybe if she uses a little more, or adds a chunk of dalaat it will be close enough (meaning even if it doesn't taste identical to mine, which is what she is aiming for, it will be similar enough, and good enough, that it will do the trick Smile)

Odelyah

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 1:51 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
You can get parsnip (גזר לבן) here, but it's expensive. Better to use turnip and pumpkin, which are inexpensive and easy to find.

oh ok I just saw this-- thank you so much! I'm curious when you say expensive, exactly how expensive? because I doubt she will make it more than once or twice.. I also wonder if it's likely to even be sold in the local har nof groceries.. I will steer her to the pumpkin but I am wondering what the actual approx cost would be for the parsnips, if she finds them.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 2:20 pm
Odelyah wrote:
oh ok I just saw this-- thank you so much! I'm curious when you say expensive, exactly how expensive? because I doubt she will make it more than once or twice.. I also wonder if it's likely to even be sold in the local har nof groceries.. I will steer her to the pumpkin but I am wondering what the actual approx cost would be for the parsnips, if she finds them.

I don't know what's sold in Har Nof. I imagine you can buy parsnip in the more rich American neighborhoods like Rechavia and Baka, probably 4 shekel each. (I'm outside Jerusalem, and it's 3-4 shekel per parsnip here.)

Odelyah

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 2:22 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
I don't know what's sold in Har Nof. I imagine you can buy parsnip in the more rich American neighborhoods like Rechavia and Baka, probably 4 shekel each. (I'm outside Jerusalem, and it's 3-4 shekel per parsnip here.)

OK thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it!

etky

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 1:19 am
Just adding that she can also add leeks for sweetness.
Good luck finding the parsnips. She can try the greengrocer on Derech Beit Lechem, not far from the Tachana Rishona. Or in Rechavia, on Derech Aza. And also maybe in one of the upscale mini-markets on Emek Refaim.

Oh and parsnip is also sometimes just called פרסניפ in Hebrew, just in case they don't know what gezer lavan is when she asks....

Odelyah

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 8:53 pm
etky wrote:
Just adding that she can also add leeks for sweetness.
Good luck finding the parsnips. She can try the greengrocer on Derech Beit Lechem, not far from the Tachana Rishona. Or in Rechavia, on Derech Aza. And also maybe in one of the upscale mini-markets on Emek Refaim.

Oh and parsnip is also sometimes just called פרסניפ in Hebrew, just in case they don't know what gezer lavan is when she asks....

Thank you! Leeks are a good idea-- I will suggest that. (Look in Hebrew--that one I remember Smile)

And I will tell her about the parsnips-- for now the urgency has passed BH because her sore throat got better pretty quickly, before she got around to making it, but I know she will want to try it soon anyway, because it's her favorite food Smile

Thanks again to all, and a Chanukkah Sameach!! xox

penguin

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:01 pm
Meanwhile tea with honey and lemon will also help a lot!

Rappel

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:26 pm
What everyone else said Smile

Ginger root is readily available in most grocery stores, and it's excellent in hot water with honey. Refuah sheleimah soon!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions