Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Keeps falling

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 4:02 pm
So my baby is bh standing up and trying to walk pushing anything and everything he can find.
But he's still very young and doesn't have the stamina to stand for too long or the ability to let himself down slowly - although this he's slowly learning. He's learned to yell when he feels like he's falling/loosing control so I run to catch him. But the past two days this is ALL he'd doing. Pulling himself up. Coffee table, chairs, couch, gate, even on the WALL.
And he keeps falling and bumping his head.
I'm worried he shouldn't injury himself seriously. He falls. Cries for a second - a minute crawls off my lap and goes at it again. And again. And again. Sometimes he doesn't even cry.
I'm not sure what I want, maybe advice? It's not normal for a baby to fall multiple times an hour.
(He's not my first. But by far my quickest.) Crying
Crying

banana123

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 4:06 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So by baby is bh standing up and trying to walk pushing anything and everything he can find.
But he's still very young and doesn't have the stamina to stand for too long or the ability to let himself down slowly - although this he's slowly learning. He's learned to yell when he feels like he's falling/loosing control so u run to catching. But the past two days this is ALL he'd doing. Pulling himself up. Coffee table, chairs, couch, gate, even on the WALL.
And he keeps falling and bumping his head.
I'm worried he shouldn't injury himself seriously. He falls. Cries for a second - a minute crawls off my lap and goes at it again. And again. And again. Sometimes he doesn't even cry.
I'm not sure what I want, maybe advice? It's not normal for a baby to fall multiple times an hour.
(He's not my first. But by far my quickest.) Crying
Crying

Okay, what happens if you DON'T run to catch him? Will he still keep falling?
I'm wondering if this isn't his version of throw food-adult picks food up-throw food again. If the adult stops picking up the food (or toy) eventually the baby stops the game and finds something else to do.
I realize that this comes with the risk that baby might bump himself more. I don't know what kind of risk of injury that entails - only you do. But do think about whether this is a physical/ developmental issue or a game in which he calls and you come to his aid.

Busy@mom

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 4:16 pm
One of my babies did that. At one point I asked his pediatrician if it's ok to let him fall and he said it's ok but I should check every he timw he falls if he's ok. It took less than a week for him to realize that I'm not running to his rescue

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 4:19 pm
The doctor told me that as long as they fall from their own height not to worry. Like if she was standing or sitting or pulling herself up. As long as they are not falling from the couch, the chair etc.
She said that’s how they learn to protect their fall. They fall a few times and then learn how to cushion their fall on their own. I had this with my daughter who was also very early in development.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 4:47 pm
He’d so little.. of course he’s falling

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 4:55 pm
I don't think he's doing it to play a game.
He just LOVES standing and feels on top of the world. Even with me catching him part of the time he falls plenty. He also sometimes forgets that he has to hold on. Surprised

If I pick him up and hold him on my lap while sitting on the couch he tries to climb the tophone of the couch.

Earlier today I forgot he can climb the stairs. I figured the basement has carpet so if he falls it'll be softer. so I took down some things to do downstairs. I went into the other room. And I hear, Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! And he's at the bottom of the stairs crying. Crying there are only about 7 steps there and they are made of wood with thick carpet at the bottom. So bh not too terrible but still.

He's too quick for his own good.

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 4:57 pm
So now I took off his stretchies and turned up the heat.
It helps with stability so his feet are naked on the floor. It helps.

But he doesn't like crawling like this so he's uncomfortable and cranky. I'll try to find the leg warmers later.

I wonder what else I can do.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 6:30 pm
How old?

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:18 pm
This will pass...
One of my kids used to pull himself to standing in his crib and had no idea how to get down. He would cry and cry for me to come take him down and then he would pull himself to stand again! This would go on for over an hour so nap time and bedtime was a nightmare! But eventually it passed and after a week or two he figured out how to get down himself.., but it was hard and he fell many times

Stars

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:22 pm
This will last maybe a week or two. When my baby learnt to crawl onto chairs it was a disaster. I constantly had to go save him from whatever pickle he landed himself in. After a few days he learnt how to come back down and peace was restored.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:41 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
I don't think he's doing it to play a game.
He just LOVES standing and feels on top of the world. Even with me catching him part of the time he falls plenty. He also sometimes forgets that he has to hold on. Surprised

If I pick him up and hold him on my lap while sitting on the couch he tries to climb the tophone of the couch.

Earlier today I forgot he can climb the stairs. I figured the basement has carpet so if he falls it'll be softer. so I took down some things to do downstairs. I went into the other room. And I hear, Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! And he's at the bottom of the stairs crying. Crying there are only about 7 steps there and they are made of wood with thick carpet at the bottom. So bh not too terrible but still.

He's too quick for his own good.

You need to block off the stairs, that's really dangerous. And until this phase passes, keep a very close eye on him when he's awake to make sure he's safe. That doesn't mean you have to catch him every time he stands up and falls, but if he's at risk of banging his head on the corner of something or falling down steps, you should be there to make sure it doesn't happen. Pretend that you're a babysitter and when he's awake all you're supposed to do is watch him. It will pass...

Tzutzie

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 9:40 pm
We have a gate upstairs.
This was downstairs.I have a gate for there too but I forgot he can climb the stairs and we didn't put it up yet.

He doesn't yell for help for more than a few seconds before he falls becuase he can't hold himself up for long yet.

He is very tiny still. Only 6 months old. I know this stage passes but he keeps getting hurt. And untill he gains his muscle strength I don't want him to chv injury himself badly. He's litterally falling every 5 minutes. I took him with me to the bathroom, he stood up holding onto the 2 ft tub and he fell before I could blink.
He doesn't want me to hold him or help him. He crawls away!
I opened up the Walker for him so he has something more stable and sturdy to use that doesn't start moving too fast.... Its a pretty small one actually but he's still too short LOL
Now that he feels like he has his independence he doesn't even want to go into the jumper anymore. I feel like he needs bubble wrap.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 10:05 pm
He's safer in a crib or pack and play if you need the bathroom or have to do something else that won't make you available to watch him closely.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 10:40 pm
Get him a baby walker to walk around with.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 11:10 pm
Only 6 months old!!! My daughter is 14 months and she's doing the same things. Yikes! Now I feel like she's delayed!

shanarishona

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 11:56 pm
I think it’s that he’s trying to master the skills

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 2:56 am
One of my sons was very physically advanced for his age. Standing and crawling by 6 months. Walking way before his first birthday.

It was a problem because he was too little to be scared or not walk into a wall

There is not much to do. Except try to keep him contained. Eventually his mind and balance will catch up with his ability.

We were just looking at old albums and in every single picture he has crazy bruises all over! It was crazy but it eventually passes

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:41 am
Poor kid! He's an infant trying to navigate the world. Very Happy Be"h this stage will pass soon. May he go from chayil to chayil!

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:58 am
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
Only 6 months old!!! My daughter is 14 months and she's doing the same things. Yikes! Now I feel like she's delayed!

My baby is 19 months old and doing the same thing. Lol. Enjoy each stage. Each baby develops at their own pace.

Tzutzie, I second Ramoms Bracha!

Mama Bear

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:33 am
put your baby into an exersaucer or something so s/he can see the world in an upright position.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics