Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
WIC shidduch :)
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:11 pm
Hi! We are not eligible for WIC and would love someone else's excess wic, such as milk, cereals and so on. We live in BP Kensington area, anyone have too much milk etc on their hands?

Last edited by amother on Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:28 pm
Um, is that legal?

cnc

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:29 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Um, is that legal?

Yes.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:31 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
Um, is that legal?

Someone with WIC can't transfer their checks or card, but they may buy the products for themselves and if there is extra, as long as their kids are well fed and they're not taking nutrition away from their family, they can either give away the excess of let it spoil and then trash it.

Stars

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:32 pm
cnc wrote:
Yes.

Wic told me that if one child won't drink milk or eat pb they will take it off the check "as it is not intended for the other members of the family". How they expect one child under the age of 5 to drink 28 bottles of milk a month is beyond me but this is what the lady there told me.

That being said op if I had Wic still I would gladly give you my extra food.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:45 pm
When I asked what to do with my leftover checks I was told to redeem them and give away the food items. The man said there's absolutely no problem

amother
Mustard

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 5:47 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:
When I asked what to do with my leftover checks I was told to redeem them and give away the food items. The man said there's absolutely no problem

That’s when there was checks. There are no checks now so you don’t need to buy everything just what you need.

cnc

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 6:01 pm
Stars wrote:
Wic told me that if one child won't drink milk or eat pb they will take it off the check "as it is not intended for the other members of the family". How they expect one child under the age of 5 to drink 28 bottles of milk a month is beyond me but this is what the lady there told me.

That being said op if I had Wic still I would gladly give you my extra food.

WIC told me to take everything on the checks and trash or donate what I don’t use or need.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 6:07 pm
cnc wrote:
WIC told me to take everything on the checks and trash or donate what I don’t use or need.

I'm surprised because we asked a shailah to someone who has researched the topic and were told legally (and therefore halachically) we cannot donate or give any of the food away.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 6:13 pm
amother [ Ivory ] wrote:

Well, think about it.

WIC is paid for with other people's tax money. Do you think that its right for you to take money that you don't need, and to give it to people who -- at least according to the rules -- don't need it?

I mean, if the money was coming from your friend Ruthie, instead of "the government," would you take it and just give it away to random people?

I don't mind paying taxes to help feed children whose parents don't have enough money to feed them. I do mind paying taxes for people to take things that they don't need, and give it away to people who don't really need it.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 6:34 pm
amother [ Aquamarine ] wrote:
Well, think about it.

WIC is paid for with other people's tax money. Do you think that its right for you to take money that you don't need, and to give it to people who -- at least according to the rules -- don't need it?

I mean, if the money was coming from your friend Ruthie, instead of "the government," would you take it and just give it away to random people?

I don't mind paying taxes to help feed children whose parents don't have enough money to feed them. I do mind paying taxes for people to take things that they don't need, and give it away to people who don't really need it.

I can definitely see your point. But there are plenty of people who really need, but because of some unfortunate technicality aren't eligible for government aid.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:34 pm
This seems like an odd request - why not just ask people if they can donate food?

Why limited to "extra" WIC because theoretically WIC is intended to provide food for women and children who would otherwise be lacking appropriate nutrition.

Obviously on a certain level a few boxes of cereal are not a meaningful amount of money in the Federal budget but it's not as if the money for programs comes out of thin air. It is funded through taxes. I actually don't mind paying taxes especially for programs that are part of the safety net for needy people but it irks me that people are seeking ways to "game the system".

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:36 pm
cnc wrote:

deleted

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:37 pm
try tomchei shabbat
or MASBIA FOR FOOD
good luck

ectomorph

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:37 pm
I think OPs idea is that she is looking for someone who has a regular surplus. Perhaps they are barely making it and the few dollars of food extra a month will keep them off programs.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:39 pm
amother [ Babyblue ] wrote:
I'm surprised because we asked a shailah to someone who has researched the topic and were told legally (and therefore halachically) we cannot donate or give any of the food away.

And we asked a similar shayla and got the opposite response, actually. As long as the food is healthy and someone will benefit. But of course, follow your LOR.

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:41 pm
cholenteater wrote:
Hi! We are not eligible for WIC and would love someone else's excess wic, such as milk, cereals and so on. We live in BP Kensington area, anyone have too much milk etc on their hands?

You can pick up food at Masbia on a weekly basis. Their products vary depending on what products they receive but they sometimes have cereal and oatmeal and other products that could be useful for you. Go to the BP one for the best food available.

ETA: Bring your own bags or shopping cart so that you can carry everything home because they dont necessarily have bags.

amother
Gray

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:44 pm
ectomorph wrote:
I think OPs idea is that she is looking for someone who has a regular surplus. Perhaps they are barely making it and the few dollars of food extra a month will keep them off programs.

I don't begrudge a needy person at all. It just seems that it would be far more practical to seek food or other help directly from organizations such as food banks.

Food from WIC shouldn't be taken if one has such amounts of surplus that logisticall it is practical to send to someone in meaningful quantities.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:48 pm
masbia.org
you do not need to show any documentation according to the website

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Dec 16 2019, 7:51 pm
masbiaboropark.org
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries