Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Totally out of ideas
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 1:58 am
Someone help before I run away.
My baby is almost 4 months AND HE DOESNT STOP CRYING. Like, since he's born. And he doesn't SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!
He wakes up every hour and a half at night, and that's AFTER he's up for 30 min straight. He will absolutely not fall asleep without me holding him and rocking him. At night or during the day. And then criiiiiies when I put him down.
He's constantly tired. Red rimmed eyes the whole day and rubbing his face.
Nothing. Is. Working. I have a noise machine, I try swaddling him, unswaddling him, pacifier (which he takes, but it DOES NOT HELP), mylicon, laying on side, laying on back, raising the head of his bassinet, sleeping in car seat, swing, bouncer. He's eating nicely (breastfeeding. I've tried giving formula at night, but he hates it. I have tried every brand.) If I let him cry it out, he'll wake up my 3 year old.
I'm out of ideas. Help me I'm going insane.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 2:07 am
What does the dr say?

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 2:10 am
Have you checked him out at the pediatrician? My baby used to cry all the time till finally we realized that she had terrible reflux. A prescription of zantac and a few days later she was so much calmer BH.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 2:23 am
I tried ranitidine. Does nothing.

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 3:13 am
Hi im sorry youre going through this. My mother had something similar with my brother way back when. He was gaining weight w nursing but it just seemed like he wasnt satisfied with that. I know when I transitioned my child into formula, I started with a bit of breast milk in the bottle to help with adjustment maybe that would work for you. Although it may not be the formula that your child is rejecting but rather the nipple on the bottle- perhaps switch bottle brand and or nipple flow rate. Also- my own child, had allergies and was totally different kid when we found out and I changed his diet- maybe you need to cut something out. Another thought is silent reflux my family friend has a baby who suffered terribly because of that. I cant remember the final thing that resolved it but it maybe something your baby is dealing with. Just a few ideas!!! Hatzlacha raba!

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 5:42 am
I tried giving my milk in a bottle. I actually tried 3 different bottle brands. Still nothing.
I cut out dairy, gluten, nuts, soy. That actually worsened the situation. So I'm back on everything besides dairy. Still. Nothin'.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 5:50 am
Oy OP, I'll commiserate with you. I could've written your post!!!
Have you tried putting the baby to sleep on his stomach?

salt

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 5:52 am
amother [ Brown ] wrote:
Oy OP, I'll commiserate with you. I could've written your post!!!
Have you tried putting the baby to sleep on his stomach?

I was going to suggest this too.
Use a baby-sense machine if you're nervous.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 5:53 am
I tried stomach. He fights it, and it actually keeps him up. Like he lifts his head and chest, and he kvetches until I pick him up.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 5:57 am
Wow OP, our babies can be friends. My baby screeaaammms on his stomach. He just likes to be held and played with. He used to sleep 8 hours straight but the past few weeks he's been terrible! He's teething so it's probably bothering him.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 5:57 am
You can try raising his crib mattress, it might help him sleep better.

Teomima

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 6:13 am
Him fighting being on his stomach makes me think it's gas. How does he react when you tuck his knees up under him and pat his bum? There are several similar positions that are very soothing.

Does he sleep in a baby carrier? He could be getting perpetually overtired, making it even harder to sleep. I know it's not ideal but if he gets some good solid daytime rest while against you in a carrier, it may help him calm down the rest of the time.

Also, you never specifically responded: what does his pediatrician say?

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 7:44 am
Try osteopathy it could be he is blocked from the birth. I totally believe in this and it helped both of my children bh.

amother
Puce

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 7:59 am
I may be yelled at for this, but try a little bit of chamomile tea
In a dropper if you need to
If you can make it from dried flowers and strain well even better

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:02 am
I give chamomile tea in a bottle, it doesn't calm him down.
What's osteopathy?

jfk92

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:37 am
Hi I also think it may be worthwhile to try a carrier for the day so he can snooze some then, and hopefully not be so difficult to put down at night. Id probably give that a try for a few days.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:53 am
Does he any symptoms besides crying? Any unusual poop, dry skin/eczema?

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:01 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
My baby is almost 4 months AND HE DOESNT STOP CRYING. Like, since he's born. And he doesn't SLEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!
He wakes up every hour and a half at night, and that's AFTER he's up for 30 min straight. He will absolutely not fall asleep without me holding him and rocking him. At night or during the day. And then criiiiiies when I put him down.
He's constantly tired. Red rimmed eyes the whole day and rubbing his face.
Nothing. Is. Working. I have a noise machine, I try swaddling him, unswaddling him, pacifier (which he takes, but it DOES NOT HELP), mylicon, laying on side, laying on back, raising the head of his bassinet, sleeping in car seat, swing, bouncer. He's eating nicely (breastfeeding. I've tried giving formula at night, but he hates it. I have tried every brand.) If I let him cry it out, he'll wake up my 3 year old.
I'm out of ideas. Help me I'm going insane.

Is he at a babysitter?

I would venture to say that its all coming from over tiredness unless it looks like he is in pain. I know I know how hard it is to get them to finally sleep when he is over tired.

Makes sure he takes good solid naps. Maybe try a car ride and errands to keep him asleep.

I have read tonz of books on baby sleep...someone mentioned the below which gives really good advice...
https://kinderwink.com/

**editing to add that sometimes we swaddle too loose and newborns loved to be tightly swaddled. why dont you try a swaddlemeblanket or a miracle blanket. Once he falls asleep in it he shld be able to sleep much more soundly.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by jewishmom6 on Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:18 am; edited 1 time in total

Aylat

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:13 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Oy OP, that is so hard!

If he sleeps on you, I second the recommendation for a baby carrier. Most of my newborns liked the wrap (rather than a carrier type thing) because it keeps them close right against my chest as if they were being held. If it works, at least you can get some things done because you have your hands free.

And then get someone to take him in the wrap for a few hours so you can get some sleep! DH in the evening - you go to bed as early as possible straight after a feed, and sleep until he needs the next feed. Maybe even pump a feed so DH can give him one, then put him back to sleep in the wrap until the next feed and you can get 4-6 hours solid sleep. Or see if you can get a babysitter to come for a few hours in the morning or afternoon and put him to sleep in the wrap while you nap.
Or I've even put my baby to sleep in the wrap and then taken a nap carefully lying on my back.

Good luck!

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:29 am
Fyi, my son had reflux and zantac barely works is VERY weight specific. So you have to raise dose or give twice a day. Prevacid works way way better. I had a calmer child after that. And I put him to sleep with pediatricians approval in carseat...upright and it helped him...he screeched for hours and hours until we found right dose of meds...or a combination of zantac and prevacid.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics