Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Schools in Flatbush
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:55 am
I’m not from here, and I’m starting to look into schools for my dd and I’m completely lost. No idea what schools there are, what the pros and cons to each school is. So far the two options I keep hearing over and over is prospect and drav Meir. What are those schools like? What other schools would you guys recommend? Thanks.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 5:40 am
We’re going to need more information about you. What’s your hashkafa?
Some questions to help you describe:
How do you dress (I know it’s external, but it helps describe what community you affiliate with).
What do you want your daughter doing after high school (college, seminary, marrying rich etc)
How much secular culture (tv/movies) is your daughter exposed to

awesomemother

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:34 am
I taught at one of them. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

naomi2

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:35 am
Yes describe your frumkeit level
And your finances and
What kind of atmosphere and academic level you are looking for.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:35 am
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
We’re going to need more information about you. What’s your hashkafa?
Some questions to help you describe:
How do you dress (I know it’s external, but it helps describe what community you affiliate with).
What do you want your daughter doing after high school (college, seminary, marrying rich etc)
How much secular culture (tv/movies) is your daughter exposed to

What does what you want your daughter to do after high school have anything to do with where you will send your kid in elementary school ?? Marrying rich is a criteria for these schools? That's absurd .

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:50 am
If I want my kid going to seminary and then college, and marrying someone kovea itim, which would be the best options in Flatbush?

doctorima

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:14 am
amother [ Olive ] wrote:
If I want my kid going to seminary and then college, and marrying someone kovea itim, which would be the best options in Flatbush?

Prospect is probably your best bet. If for any reason that's not for you, you could try Lev BY as well.

OP, Prospect and D'Rav Meir attract pretty different crowds. As others have asked, could you tell us a little more about yourself and what you're looking for in a school so that we could advise you better?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:15 am
I would describe myself and husband as JPF (just plain frum) we are sphardi but I don’t think I want to send to sphardi school. I dress Tunius mostly (not 4 inches below knee) I don’t wear a sheitel but that’s a sphardi thing.
I don’t want to decide for my daughter what she wants to do with her life (college or what type of guy she wants to marry ect) but I don’t want a school that would be anti college, or a school that would be anti kollel for that matter.
My husband works, bH money shouldn’t be an issue.
Would prefer a more academic school.
Did I cover everything?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:17 am
doctorima wrote:
Prospect is probably your best bet. If for any reason that's not for you, you could try Lev BY as well.

OP, Prospect and D'Rav Meir attract pretty different crowds. As others have asked, could you tell us a little more about yourself and what you're looking for in a school so that we could advise you better?

What’s lev BY like?
Could you please describe what crowds they each attract?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:32 am
Prospect Park sounds like a good fit. Call right away as they already had their entrance exams for next year as did other schools.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:53 am
Drav Meir sounds like a good fit too. I send there and I’m very happy

doctorima

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 11:02 am
OP - Based on how you described yourself, it sounds like Prospect is clearly your best bet. Definitely get in touch with them ASAP if this is for next year.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 12:28 pm
Thanks everyone!

cnc

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 1:26 pm
Another vote for Prospect
Hatzlacha!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:28 pm
amother [ Blue ] wrote:
What does what you want your daughter to do after high school have anything to do with where you will send your kid in elementary school ?? Marrying rich is a criteria for these schools? That's absurd .

Are you looking for your daughter to have an education that she can support a family with or not necessary.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:35 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What’s lev BY like?
Could you please describe what crowds they each attract?

OP is this for preschool or hs? If for preschool, lev or masores might work too.

naomi2

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:38 pm
The crowd in drav meir is frummer like a typical bais yaakov. Prospect is more to the left and also a more diverse parent body.
Both have an excellent education And are both considered very good schools. The best way to choose would be to look at the current middle school.
Go to each school at dismissal time and look at the girls as they come out. Then you will get the best feel for which crowd fits you better.
There is also an excellent sefardic girls bais yaakov in flatbush called Ateret. You should consider that too just because it fits your criteria and culturally you and your children might feel more at home although the other two schools would be very welcoming.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 4:51 pm
naomi2 wrote:
The crowd in drav meir is frummer like a typical bais yaakov. Prospect is more to the left and also a more diverse parent body.
Both have an excellent education And are both considered very good schools. The best way to choose would be to look at the current middle school.
Go to each school at dismissal time and look at the girls as they come out. Then you will get the best feel for which crowd fits you better.
There is also an excellent sefardic girls bais yaakov in flatbush called Ateret. You should consider that too just because it fits your criteria and culturally you and your children might feel more at home although the other two schools would be very welcoming.

Ateret is not the only Sephardic/Syrian BY

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:00 pm
Just plain frum with good education sounds like prospect is best fit, also most diverse. Runner up is Lev, similar crowd. Drav Meir is very yeshivish and Ateret is way more yeshivish than that.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:02 pm
[quote="amother [ Denim ]"]Ateret is not the only Sephardic/Syrian BY[/qkuote]
That is the only one I worked at so I feel comfortable recommending.
I just dont think the op should nix sephardic schools, her mesorah is very important and there are really good choices that are comparable to the ashkenazi schools
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries