Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Lace front and lace top
Previous  1  2

amother
Wine

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 7:56 am
Where I live the rabbanim have come out against lace top/front wigs.
As it clearly looks so natural they feel that it is a breach in tznius. I actually agree... they are beautiful though...

amother
Mint

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 8:45 am
I have a lace top (lined) and lace front and I really do not like it, one of the top popular brands, and I never wear it. I thought it would be comfortable but because it needs to be flat and close to your head, it feels too constricting to me, even though it's not tight. I hate that the front always needs to be played with to make it look right. I don't like that the overlook is flat and no body,even though mine has more body than most.
In my opinion, the only ones who look really good in the lace, are very young.
I am hoping that this lace trend does not replace regular wigs or that something else, more practical and durable, comes out.

seven-up

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:43 am
Quote:
Could someone kindly tell me what the halachic problems might be with a lace-top wig? I'm having a discussion with my friend about wigs, and we don't know exactly what the problem is.

My shaitel macher only sells them with a lining. She said she brought a lace top to a rav and he said that people can see through it to the scalp/hair even if they don't realize they are seeing the scalp itself through it. But she said if it was lined thick enough that no one can see the scalp, he said it is fine. I didn't ask myself, just repeating what she said.

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 10:45 am
Why oh why oh why did someone think it's a good idea to dig up an old thread to have this argument yet again?????

Crookshanks

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 11:06 am
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
Why oh why oh why did someone think it's a good idea to dig up an old thread to have this argument yet again?????

So far people are being pretty respectful.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 11:25 am
My rav doesn’t let.

But I was wondering if they last. I feel like I say way more women with bald spots or widening partson lace front wigs then the old type wigs.
Do you find that to be true.
How much maintenance is there really?
How often do you have to replace hair?
How much cost?

I’m really just being curious and nosy bec it doesn’t apply to me.

seven-up

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 12:10 pm
Quote:

To me it looks like she had a legitimate question and just wants to know if there are any halachic concerns with it. Maybe she can't reach a rav or her rav hasn't researched lace tops thoroughly enough to answer.

It doesn't have to be an argument. If one's rav permits it, then wear it. And if one's doesn't then don't. Simple enough. But there's nothing wrong in asking what the problem may be with it imo.

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 1:19 pm
For anyone interested all the major Rabbanim have asured lace front and lace top wigs- there was just an article about it in the Hamodia. It said it is asur min hadin.
Rav Shmuel Kanievsky, Rav Forcheimer, the lakewood poskim etc... all the Chassidush Rabbanim totally forbid them.
There were just all these asifas about it
Sounds like playing with fire to wear them....

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 1:38 pm
Every once in a while we had a thread pop up about wigs looking so natural how can they be ok halachikly and it is because it's about covering, not about how it looks.
And this was before lace wigs!
The regular wigs we have now are very natural looking especially with bangs and many non Jews can't tell if the hair is covered. Why is that allowed? Maybe we should go back to horse hair or brillo like (some women wore) in the alte heim?
I have a lace front wig and you absolutely cannot see the hair through it. I don't know how this question was presented to the rabbanim assuring it but I'm skeptical.

willymom

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 1:57 pm
Btw the op did not ask about Halacha she asked if it’s worth it and the diff bett lace tops and lace fronts. From my experience there the same delicate . Bec the erea that needs maintenance is the front .. lace tops are maybe slightly more delicate but not a huge difference. It needs to be repaired every 8-12 months depending on how much it is used

amother
Brown

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:20 pm
I am a hair/wig stylist and personally don't like the look of lace tops. You can usually see the lace, many times the part is too straight, wide and fake looking and the hair is very flat on the head which is not flattering on most people. they are also high maintenance and look bad unless they are done perfectly and even then after a wear or 2 needs help again.

this is besides for the halachic issue
I believe the main reason for covering hair is that other men should know you are an 'eishes ish' and taken. this is a problem with lace tops or any wigs that are too natural. I remember learning in sem that a wig is not replacing your hair, think of it like a hat..don't get too connected (obviously this is a very high level..but it made an impression on me)
just my thoughts

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:37 pm
A man is supposed to know that a married woman is an eishas ish - but the main reason that a married woman covers her hair is to conceal her main beauty after marriage and save it only for her husband.
(There are strong torah sources for this- it's not a chok)
That's why many Rabbanim were and are against any natural looking and attractive wigs (with or without a lace front)
The lace front and top just make it even more natural looking so Rabbanim got together recently and asured them (but many of these Rabbanim said that it doesn't mean all the other wigs are ok)

amother
Violet

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:45 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:

To be fair she used the search function instead of starting a new thread. My guess is that she couldn’t post in the already locked threads so she chose this one Smile

We did not argue about this enough. It will never be enough.

scruffy

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:46 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:

LOL.

Crookshanks

Post Wed, May 05 2021, 2:55 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
To be fair she used the search function instead of starting a new thread. My guess is that she couldn’t post in the already locked threads so she chose this one Smile

Is there a fight? Is there a fight? I'm gonna go put on my red lipstick and red nail polish-I am ready for battle!

Meow
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels