Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Chanuka gelt for therapists, coaches, etc?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:15 pm
Do you give chanuka gelt to your childs' therapists, sports coaches, tutors, music teachers, etc? If so, how much?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 8:58 pm
I am a therapist and get anywhere from a 10 gift to a neiman Marcus bag. Gift cards and cash are appreciated. Depends on your budget. There are many that believe you shouldn't give anything to valuable. But we work hard and it is nice to be appreciated.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:22 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
I am a therapist and get anywhere from a 10 gift to a neiman Marcus bag. Gift cards and cash are appreciated. Depends on your budget. There are many that believe you shouldn't give anything to valuable. But we work hard and it is nice to be appreciated being that our services are free.

Why are your services free?

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:24 pm
amother [ Lilac ] wrote:
Why are your services free?

EI, CPSE etc are not paid by parents. They are paid through the DOE

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:25 pm
I am a therapist and get anywhere from a 10 gift to a neiman Marcus bag. Gift cards and cash are appreciated. Depends on your budget. There are many that believe you shouldn't give anything to valuable. But we work hard and it is nice to be appreciated being that our services are free.

OMG. You are not giving your services for free. And my daughter isn't getting OT therapy for free either. My hard earned tax dollars are at work and both you and dd are benefiting. Please delete the last sentence.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 9:26 pm
amother [ Denim ] wrote:
EI, CPSE etc are not paid by parents. They are paid through the DOE

What does that have to do with the providers? They are being paid for all their work. This part of the conversation is ridiculous.

amother
Denim

Post Tue, Dec 17 2019, 10:28 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
What does that have to do with the providers? They are being paid for all their work. This conversation is ridiculous.

I was explaining the previous poster's possible feeling
I am an EI therapist myself, and what means the most to me is the card. I do not expect anything at all, and am very aware how tips add up so fast! My children have therapy and it is quite an expensive season- holiday gifts/tips really add up, also have the usual teacher and rebbi tips as well as the bus drivers....

amother
Smokey

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 12:00 am
I do, only because it became an expectation and I'm not going to stand on principle and refuse to participate. But I think the whole thing is ridiculous, and there's nothing about Chanukah that makes it a time to specifically show appreciation. That whole idea really just comes from American holiday culture. Signed, a therapist who feels bad that anyone stretches their budget to buy me anything.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 6:48 am
They're no your lil kid

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 7:48 am
Therapists , doctors, or anyone who charges a small fortune I don't give. I feel like they are getting compensated more than enough.
Bus driver , teacher, teacher's assistant , school secretary, or any person working for a low salary who goes the extra mile I like to give a small gift to.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 9:07 am
I don't give my adult cousins, so you bet........

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 4:22 pm
I am a therapist and get anywhere from a 10 gift to a neiman Marcus bag. Gift cards and cash are appreciated. Depends on your budget. There are many that believe you shouldn't give anything to valuable. But we work hard and it is nice to be appreciated.

I am a therapist and I was horrified by this post. Sounds so greedy and selfish. Just because it's free for the parents doesn't mean they owe you anything. I don't expect any gifts, and if I do get I always make sure to tell the parent that I appreciate it but it wasn't necessary.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 6:42 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I am a therapist and I was horrified by this post. Sounds so greedy and selfish. Just because it's free for the parents doesn't mean they owe you anything. I don't expect any gifts, and if I do get I always make sure to tell the parent that I appreciate it but it wasn't necessary.

They don't need to give a gift, but they definitely should show some appreciation. A heartfelt card is nice.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 6:48 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
Therapists , doctors, or anyone who charges a small fortune I don't give. I feel like they are getting compensated more than enough.
Bus driver , teacher, teacher's assistant , school secretary, or any person working for a low salary who goes the extra mile I like to give a small gift to.

I don’t go by how much they charge. A dr, nurse or therapist that goes the extra mile (which I feel like is becoming more rare these days *sigh*) gets a gift. Not expensive- but with a nice card and sometimes donuts, cookies etc.

amother
White

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 6:58 pm
amother [ Smokey ] wrote:
I do, only because it became an expectation and I'm not going to stand on principle and refuse to participate. But I think the whole thing is ridiculous, and there's nothing about Chanukah that makes it a time to specifically show appreciation. That whole idea really just comes from American holiday culture. Signed, a therapist who feels bad that anyone stretches their budget to buy me anything.

I'm always afraid that a therapist/bus driver/teacher will resent my child because there was little to no tip. But tips seriously put us over the edge. Even a box of donuts costs money.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 6:36 am
Show appreciation in your interactions, not once a year when you remember

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 7:37 am
amother [ White ] wrote:
I'm always afraid that a therapist/bus driver/teacher will resent my child because there was little to no tip. But tips seriously put us over the edge. Even a box of donuts costs money.

I'm sorry Sad I understand the feeling, and I can say that on my end I truly don't expect anything from anyone besides sincere verbal appreciation, and not specifically on Chanukah. I was so upset when someone was collecting for my child's teacher on a WhatsApp group and she posted every time she received money from a mother. It put such unfair pressure on the other parents.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 7:57 am
Resent your child????

Sunny Days

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 8:46 am
Ruchel wrote:
Show appreciation in your interactions, not once a year when you remember

It’s not a contradiction
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics