Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Why Would People Troll????

Seeking Peace

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 2:01 pm
Why would someone make up a horrible story and troll? Just to make people upset? Nervous? To get a rise out of people? To play with people's minds?

Is anyone really that bored?

Please explain the psychology behind this.

Asking because some of the stories posted here get me really upset and I would love to hear that some are really untrue.

Flip Flops

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 2:06 pm
Maybe I'm naive but I really don't think there are so many trolls out there. It's fun to say someone is a troll when a thread is wacky, but I don't think it's true most of the time.

clowny

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 2:53 pm
Flip Flops wrote:
Maybe I'm naive but I really don't think there are so many trolls out there. It's fun to say someone is a troll when a thread is wacky, but I don't think it's true most of the time.

I agree.
Just because certain threads sound wacky to someone, doesn’t mean that’s a troll
I was once called a troll for something I asked and to some posters it sounded weird - so they jumped on me.
After asking that question in real life, I learned that my question was pretty common and normal.

southernbubby

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 2:54 pm
Seeking Peace wrote:
Why would someone make up a horrible story and troll? Just to make people upset? Nervous? To get a rise out of people? To play with people's minds?

Is anyone really that bored?

Please explain the psychology behind this.

Asking because some of the stories posted here get me really upset and I would love to hear that some are really untrue.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and yes
Anon online a person can have an alter ego, different persona, etc. It's empowering.

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 2:56 pm
People troll for attention. Sometimes people do it for money.

Seeking Peace

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 4:00 pm
Squishy wrote:
People troll for attention. Sometimes people do it for money.

what kind of money would people make on imamother for trolling/posting an untrue post?

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 4:12 pm
Seeking Peace wrote:
what kind of money would people make on imamother for trolling/posting an untrue post?

Amothers are incredibly generous. People can post that they need funds for the usual reasons even if they don't.

Jewishmom8

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 4:21 pm
I think that some people just really crave the attention.

mfb

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 5:46 pm
Flip Flops wrote:

There have been many many trolls on this site. Most were caught the first day thanks to members reporting them but there are also some that managed to be here a while and hurt people.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 5:48 pm
Lots of non religious people get a voyeuristic joy out of reading websites like this one, that cater to insulated communities. Some end up joining and posting in an attempt to influence from within.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 7:19 pm
Why would people do anything dishonest or nasty? Why would anyone steal or commit murder? Why would anyone abuse a child, parent, spouse, employee? Why would anyone badmouth someone else? The list goes on and on. Because yetzer lev haadam ra mineurav.

mishpacha1

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 7:28 pm
I’m not saying there aren’t trolls but I agree that a lot of times before even finishing to read a post (that is different from the norm) people assume it’s a troll and can be really mean about it, everyone jumping on the bandwagon together of “op, if you when are telling the truth, you must have problems and be so messed up”. Happened to me before. It’s just not nice.

happyone

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 9:01 pm
I think mostly attention by bored or lonely people.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 10:47 am
mishpacha1 wrote:
I’m not saying there aren’t trolls but I agree that a lot of times before even finishing to read a post (that is different from the norm) people assume it’s a troll and can be really mean about it, everyone jumping on the bandwagon together of “op, if you when are telling the truth, you must have problems and be so messed up”. Happened to me before. It’s just not nice.

I personally wouldn't use a social media site for problems that are better dealt with by a Rav or a therapist.
It's great for ideas and discussions but there are limits to what I would expect from strangers, even frum strangers. People here have a lot of different perspectives and not all are as validating as we would expect.
And I wonder how many people who are friends on this site would do anything for those people IRL

mishpacha1

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 8:16 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I personally wouldn't use a social media site for problems that are better dealt with by a Rav or a therapist.
It's great for ideas and discussions but there are limits to what I would expect from strangers, even frum strangers. People here have a lot of different perspectives and not all are as validating as we would expect.
And I wonder how many people who are friends on this site would do anything for those people IRL

I agree. You don’t know what post I posted so no need to assume it was something to go to a therapist about instead of something time sensitive and appropriate for this site (verified by yael). I don’t post here that often and definitely take everything that everyone responds to with a grain of salt... at the same time, there is an amount of decency I would expect from frum women. The same way there are certain things I wouldn’t say to someone in person, I don’t say to someone online. I think people get lost in the cyberworld and forget there are people behind screen names.

southernbubby

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 10:08 pm
mishpacha1 wrote:
I agree. You don’t know what post I posted so no need to assume it was something to go to a therapist about instead of something time sensitive and appropriate for this site (verified by yael). I don’t post here that often and definitely take everything that everyone responds to with a grain of salt... at the same time, there is an amount of decency I would expect from frum women. The same way there are certain things I wouldn’t say to someone in person, I don’t say to someone online. I think people get lost in the cyberworld and forget there are people behind screen names.

If someone is making an appeal, and the need has been verified, I don't see why anyone would post something negative. Everyone is free to give or pass on the opportunity.
Sorry if I assumed that it was a situation that most of us would get therapy for. People sometimes do have financial advice because they have struggled themselves but even that can come across as judgemental.
I do, however, understand people who get annoyed with unverified appeals because there are so many people who take advantage of others.

mishpacha1

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 12:18 am
southernbubby wrote:
If someone is making an appeal, and the need has been verified, I don't see why anyone would post something negative. Everyone is free to give or pass on the opportunity.
Sorry if I assumed that it was a situation that most of us would get therapy for. People sometimes do have financial advice because they have struggled themselves but even that can come across as judgemental.
I do, however, understand people who get annoyed with unverified appeals because there are so many people who take advantage of others.

Lol good guess, but no, was not a financial appeal either. I posted my issue the first time as amother because I wanted it to be private. Sorry if I said something that made you think it was monetary, I meant it was verified by yael as in she said it was a totally appropriate post.
Anyways, I’m not the only one who was assumed to be a troll when I was a real person. Moral of the story- think before you post.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics