Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Magazines

dorothy1

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 9:12 pm
Which of the Jewish magazines is your favorite , and why?
Which parts of the magazine do you like best?

1ofbillions

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 9:15 pm
Mishpacha and Family First are well written, well edited, and generally have fascinating articles. Definitely my faves.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:09 pm
1ofbillions wrote:
Mishpacha and Family First are well written, well edited, and generally have fascinating articles. Definitely my faves.

Same.
Great variety of topics, they're not afraid to handle criticism and speak honestly, they offer some differing viewpoints, they're not afraid to tackle formerly taboo topics.
When they make a mistake they own up to it.

iammom

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:12 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Same.
Great variety of topics, they're not afraid to handle criticism and speak honestly, they offer some differing viewpoints, they're not afraid to tackle formerly taboo topics.
When they make a mistake they own up to it.

What she said

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:25 pm
I like Ami because they always have something interesting and out of the box to offer.

But why on earth do magazines put depressing stories in them when most people are reading them on shabbos??

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 11:50 am
I dont like when the Ami puts articles of very rare diseases every week. Then the next time I have that symptom I automatically think that rare disease chv and get very nervous and BH it usually ends up being nothing to worry about

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 12:07 pm
I like different things in each publication but Mishpacha is my go-to because I find it the most well-rounded. There is a lot of content and I usually find most of it interesting whereas other magazines I'm only interested in some of the content. I like Binah too but it isn't as well-rounded, it doesn't include news and commentary on current events and issues the way Mishpacha does. Ami has newsy stuff and some nice columns but I find less overall to read and I don't go for the sensationalist spirit. Hamodia I'd put a close second to Mishpacha, it has tons of content and quite well done but I don't find it as enjoyable if you're just looking for a magazine and not a newspaper. As a newspaper with supplementary magazine, though, it's amazing.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 12:39 pm
I find Ami too sensationalist, but I find that the kids' magazine, Aim, is of better quality than the other kids' magazines (although it is also politically biased). Also, Dina Neuman's writing in general makes Ami worth buying.

mha3484

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 12:45 pm
I really enjoy mishpacha. I agree with everyone above.

I started buying Hamodia over the summer mostly for my kid who is a voracious reader and likes current events. We all have enjoyed it a lot.

I like bina but its so few pages for the amount of money an issue costs that I only really get it for yomtov.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Dec 19 2019, 12:50 pm
Bring back the Jewish Observer a"h

That was a real magazine
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room