Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I want my kids to give back. Any ideas?

Debbig

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:29 pm
The tread the other day where an amazing women offered to get toys for kids who’s parents can’t get them toys inspired me.
I have a DS who is 8 and a DD who is 4. While we are far from wealthy (financially we are in so many other ways). I want to do something with my kids for other people. I do give as much tzedakah as we can but that isn’t something my kids see us do.
We live in Lakewood. Does anyone have any ideas?
One idea I had is. They love baking. If we bake Chanukah cookies is there an organization that we can bring them to that would add them to their Chanukah packages or something like that?

Last edited by Debbig on Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

SuperWify

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:30 pm
Chai lifeline has a toy drive. They match you up with a family based on your budget and you choose toys to buy. Maybe you can have your kids pick the toys.

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:34 pm
What about going to a nursing home with your kids?

Debbig

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:47 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Chai lifeline has a toy drive. They match you up with a family based on your budget and you choose toys to buy. Maybe you can have your kids pick the toys.

Thank you. Iyh I will call them tomorrow.

Debbig

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:49 pm
Squishy wrote:
What about going to a nursing home with your kids?

I am really terrible in social situations 🙈 so I don’t think that is a good fit for us!! But it is a good idea. Thanks.

Rappel

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:52 pm
My mum had us donate around half our toys at that age to kids expelled from Gush Katif. In the beginning, we only wanted to give a few broken items, but she made us sit there, and decide and consider what was really valuable to us, and what would really help someone else. In the end, we willingly gave away most of our toys, and it was an amazing lesson in empathy and kindness.

Debbig

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 10:55 pm
Rappel wrote:
My mum had us donate around half our toys at that age to kids expelled from Gush Katif. In the beginning, we only wanted to give a few broken items, but she made us sit there, and decide and consider what was really valuable to us, and what would really help someone else. In the end, we willingly gave away most of our toys, and it was an amazing lesson in empathy and kindness.

I live in Lakewood who can we donate used toys to?

Rappel

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 11:05 pm
Debbig wrote:
I live in Lakewood who can we donate used toys to?

I don't live in Lakewood, so I don't know what's available, but there's always goodwill, and believe it or not - homeless and abuse shelters. It's really sad, but there are kids growing up in shelters, and toys are the last thing on their list of priorities.

If you're having trouble finding a place to donate to, you can also try to contact your local soup kitchen. I'm sure they'll know someone whom can give the toys to people whom need them.

Rappel

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 11:07 pm
Actually - a lot of soup kitchens will let kids volunteer as well. Chopping veggies, making sandwiches, setting the tables... There's a lot they can do there. Is there a masbia in Lakewood?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 11:08 pm
I deliver food weekly for chai lifeline and take my kids with me so they can help. I tried tomchei shabbos, but it was difficult reaching them and coordinating. Maybe you’ll have better luck.

Debbig

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 11:19 pm
amother [ Honeydew ] wrote:
I deliver food weekly for chai lifeline and take my kids with me so they can help. I tried tomchei shabbos, but it was difficult reaching them and coordinating. Maybe you’ll have better luck.

You cook food or buy it?

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 11:22 pm
Debbig wrote:
You cook food or buy it?

Pick up donated food and other items from various places.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Dec 18 2019, 11:23 pm
Debbig wrote:
Thank you. Iyh I will call them tomorrow.

So nice of you! Good luck! Just tell them before how much you’d like to spend.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics