Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Sheitels Discussion

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 20 2019, 3:55 pm
I know we have a very diverse group of women on this group (which is so beautiful btw) - chasidish, yeshivish, litvish, chabad, MO, etc. We all have our own minhagim where it comes to head coverings. There are this who wear sheitels, sheitels covered with scarves/bands or hats, just scarves, shpitzels, those who don’t cover their hair at all...

This is not a bashing thread as I respect everyone’s tradition but this is geared toward those who do cover their hair as you will see below. Recently, I was part of a discussion about headcovering and wanted your opinions.

Why do we cover our hair? The only thing the Torah says about this is that hair of a married woman is ervah. If that’s the case then why do women wear bands on top of sheitels or shpitzels if we just need to cover?

And is it the same obligation to cover hair for a Jewish man as for non jews? For example someone told me she went Jet skiing on vacation and didn’t cover her hair (she normally does). Her guide was a non Jewish man and she was in an area that was extremely unlikely to meet a Jew. Is that ok? She claimed that it’s no different than a woman who normally wears stockings but doesn’t at the beach.

To be clear, I wear a (long) sheitels (no additional covering) and I’m happy to do so but I honestly had no answers to the people I was discussing this with and so I’d love to learn more and hear what you guys think

amother
Red

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 6:42 pm
If you dial the number 917-924-9900, option 1 there is a beautiful teleconference explaining the mitzvah of kisui rosh really well.
This phone line also has many shiurim about the topic (and a live teleconference every Thursday at 11)

amother
Red

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 6:44 pm
I was really confused myself until I found this phone line!
It's amazing and so informative

amother
Gray

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 7:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For example someone told me she went Jet skiing on vacation and didn’t cover her hair (she normally does).... (cut) She claimed that it’s no different than a woman who normally wears stockings but doesn’t at the beach.
wow and here we have it... no concept of chumra/ Halacha/ das Moshe / das Yehudis / and so on. I sincerely hope this women didn’t go through the bais yakov system or similar, and that her husband doesn’t know Halacha. I’ll be dan lekaf zechus and assume they don’t know better through no fault of their own. Travesty in my opinion.

hodeez

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 7:40 pm
My comments will likely come off as bashing so going to hold my tongue this time around..

TheNeutralOne

Post Sat, Dec 21 2019, 8:54 pm
amother [ Red ] wrote:
If you dial the number 917-924-9900, option 1 there is a beautiful teleconference explaining the mitzvah of kisui rosh really well.
This phone line also has many shiurim about the topic (and a live teleconference every Thursday at 11)

I just called in! Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 1:50 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:

I will dial in when I have a free moment. Thank you for sharing!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 1:51 am
amother [ Gray ] wrote:
wow and here we have it... no concept of chumra/ Halacha/ das Moshe / das Yehudis / and so on. I sincerely hope this women didn’t go through the bais yakov system or similar, and that her husband doesn’t know Halacha. I’ll be dan lekaf zechus and assume they don’t know better through no fault of their own. Travesty in my opinion.

Look, I know instinctively that what she’s saying is wrong but I went through the bais Yaakov system and didn’t have an answer for her! That’s why I started the discussion. I want to understand!

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 1:58 am
The deracheha website is very helpful.

https://www.deracheha.org/head.....asis/

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:52 am
amother [ Red ] wrote:

I tried this and option 1 was a woman reading a letter from a man who was asking women to dress more modestly.

It didn't seem to be adressing the reasons behind hair covering. Am I pressing something wrong?

amother
Red

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 11:00 am
That's just the beginning- it's a teleconference and it goes on to explain all the reasons behind the mitzvah of hair covering.
It's in a question and answer form and they interview different speakers including Rebbetzin Tehilla Abramov
I felt like I really learned so much from the teleconference!
The recordings on prompt 2 of their live Thursday sessions are really informative too- but there is a lot of them!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels