Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Where can I get the best donuts in jerusalem?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 2:09 am
a "Sit down" place would be best
any recommendations?

etky

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 2:48 am
Probably Kadosh on Shlomzion Hamalkah. Pricey though...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 2:51 am
any idea about the hechsher there?

etky

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 2:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
any idea about the hechsher there?

No. Sorry.
But here is a link I just found to a really good round up of places to buy and eat sufganiyot this Chanukah in Jerusalem.
Warning to those on diets - do not open link. There are pictures Can't Believe It
https://debbestfood.com/2019/1.....2019/

iluvjlem

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 2:58 am
My favorite are the donuts from Maafeh Neeman. They have a branch on Yafo st. which has a nice area to sit indoors. Hechsher - Rabbanut Yerushalayim Mehadrin, I believe.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 3:05 am
Its a tie between marzipan and english cake.

Berman also has good ones with good seating area

amother
Green

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 3:25 am
For those who don't eat rabbanut - the English cake by ramat eshkol now has an extra hecsher which is meant to be very good.

Smile1234

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 4:38 am
Berman!! The one on davidka has seating.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 5:12 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
For those who don't eat rabbanut - the English cake by ramat eshkol now has an extra hecsher which is meant to be very good.

Rabbi Weiner gives a hechsher on it. Its considered a top hechsher.
And DELICIOUS doughnuts

Lizzie4

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 5:15 am
Brooklyn Bakery!

etky

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 5:34 am
English Cake has a branch near us and that is where we usually buy our sufganiyot.
I have to say that they are sometimes disappointing. They look gorgeous but the doughnut itself is often leaden and tasteless.
Same goes for all the leading chains' sufganiyot that I have tasted. Some are better than others and I'm sure that freshness varies by branch but I haven't found a stand out that I can particularly recommend.
I haven't really sampled the very 'premium' gourmet doughnuts in places like Roladin, Ben Ami, Kadosh etc. cause I refuse to pay the ridiculous, exorbitant prices for their ever-shrinking doughnuts.
What I really hanker after is an old fashioned, good-sized plain jelly doughnut which is fresh and tasty and that has a decent amount of good quality jelly in the middle. The fancy, elaborately constructed toppings don't really do it for me.
The legendary Nada bakery on Emek Refaim in the German Colony used to make a really good doughnut that was worth the calories. The batter was dairy and had a hint of lemon in it. The jam was proper strawberry jam that actually tasted like strawberry. Other than a dusting of powdered sugar it needed no embellishment.
That is the type of doughnut that I crave.

blessedflower

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 10:53 am
Roladin in mamilla. Marzipan. Brooklyn in geula. All of them delicious. Maafeh nemaan is good to

etky

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 11:33 pm
Lizzie4 wrote:
Brooklyn Bakery!

So FYI to anyone who was considering buying sufganiyot from the Brooklyn Bakery.
I just called up to inquire about the availability of a certain cake that we like from there and got a recording that the bakery is closed for a week (from yesterday) because, unfortunately, the owner is sitting shiva for his mother.

jewwoman

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 12:35 am
Brooklyn bakery has been closed for over a month as the owner lost his mother.
I vote roladin. Its in mamilla. The queue is long but the doughnuts are so worth it. The next best is probably yaale or english cake.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 1:22 am
My office sent someone to the shuk to pick up sufganiyut and he came back with classic simple sufganiyut with jam and powdered sugar they were really good. But he doesn't remember which bakery they came from.

Shuly

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 1:40 am
Marzipan in the shuk
Uri's Pizza in Geulah makes amazing caramel donuts

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 4:57 am
jewwoman wrote:
Brooklyn bakery has been closed for over a month as the owner lost his mother.
I vote roladin. Its in mamilla. The queue is long but the doughnuts are so worth it. The next best is probably yaale or english cake.

It was closed for a couple of weeks (for a different reason) but it reopened already two weeks ago.

dats me

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 5:34 am
amother [ Green ] wrote:
It was closed for a couple of weeks (for a different reason) but it reopened already two weeks ago.

I bought sufganiot in Brooklyn bake shop on Monday.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 5:43 am
etky wrote:
No. Sorry.
But here is a link I just found to a really good round up of places to buy and eat sufganiyot this Chanukah in Jerusalem.
Warning to those on diets - do not open link. There are pictures Can't Believe It
https://debbestfood.com/2019/1.....2019/

Thanks for the warning, this is very triggering.
Will have to bring this up with my therapist Wink

Zeleze

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 7:44 am
Uri's Pizza has Milchige ones, very expensive though
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions