Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
For the un-computer savvy, what replaces a portable radio/c?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 6:59 am
For the un-computer savvy, what replaces a portable radio/cd player, that doesnt require monthly charges, and is simple to use?

What are the options and the differences?

bouncy

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 7:03 am
Something cheap- mp3 player with a mini speaker
Something easy- I Bluetooth my I phone to a speaker and I have a music app so choose any song.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 7:35 am
Echo dot under twenty five dollars
You ask it to play music
Tell the time
For five dollars extra u get a plug to tell it when to turn on and off you’re shabbos lights

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 7:48 am
amother [ Cyan ] wrote:
Echo dot under twenty five dollars
You ask it to play music
Tell the time
For five dollars extra u get a plug to tell it when to turn on and off you’re shabbos lights

Thanks.

1. Can I take it all around the house?

2. How does it have all the music in the world loaded? Do I have to load music I like?

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 8:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks.

1. Can I take it all around the house?

2. How does it have all the music in the world loaded? Do I have to load music I like?

1. Anywhere there's a plug and wifi coverage.

2. Through wifi; no need to load it with anything.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 8:49 am
Does anything allow listening to Torahanytime.com lectures (besides a laptop)?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 10:35 am
You give away your privacy when you use a device like Echo Dot. I would advise against using it.

You can get a portable radio for under $20. Until recently, I used a radio from the last millennium, but my kids said it was embarrassing when their friends came over. Now I use my iPhone, so as not to shame anyone, but I miss the ease of having presets and just being able to push a button. I am thinking about getting one of the cheap portable radios so at least I can easily get to NPR.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:34 am
On what can I listen to Torahanytime.com lectures (besides a laptop)?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 9:27 pm
Bump

Is there no answer because I can only choose and listen to Shiurim on Torahanytime.com on a laptop?

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 1:25 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Bump

Is there no answer because I can only choose and listen to Shiurim on Torahanytime.com on a laptop?

If you have a smartphone or a tablet, you get the TorahAnytime app. You can have a tablet without any monthly phone service; I think the same is true for smartphones. You just use it anywhere there is wifi. Download the TorahAntyime app, and you can listen to shiurim.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 5:10 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
If you have a smartphone or a tablet, you get the TorahAnytime app. You can have a tablet without any monthly phone service; I think the same is true for smartphones. You just use it anywhere there is wifi. Download the TorahAntyime app, and you can listen to shiurim.

Thanks, but I dont find my smartphone user friendly even with apps. Nothing like a laptop.

So I cant ask one of the new gadgets "Play the newest Torahanytime Shiur by _________"?

singleagain

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 6:48 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks, but I dont find my smartphone user friendly even with apps. Nothing like a laptop.

So I cant ask one of the new gadgets "Play the newest Torahanytime Shiur by _________"?

If you would get an Alexa or Google home or something like that. Yes. you can. But they are not portable. They depend on the power source. However, depending on how big your place is....it could be loud enough.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 7:28 am
As far as I know, a desktop computer with WiFi speakers can work with Spotify Desktop's free version to stream most songs. Unfortunately, Spotify doesn't offer any filtering other than blocking explicit language.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:08 am
singleagain wrote:
If you would get an Alexa or Google home or something like that. Yes. you can. But they are not portable. They depend on the power source. However, depending on how big your place is....it could be loud enough.

So if I have one of those Alexa or Google gadgets (which would serve my purposes best?) plugged in near a night stand, I can say "Play latest R Pesach Krohn Shiur on torahanytime.com"?

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 11:12 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So if I have one of those Alexa or Google gadgets (which would serve my purposes best?) plugged in near a night stand, I can say "Play latest R Pesach Krohn Shiur on torahanytime.com"?

Yes.

It's also very easy to set up. My friend who is not tech savvy was able to set it up easily.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 6:21 pm
bouncy wrote:
Something cheap- mp3 player with a mini speaker
Something easy- I Bluetooth my I phone to a speaker and I have a music app so choose any song.

Which music app can you choose your own songs on phone??

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 6:32 pm
singleagain wrote:
Yes.

It's also very easy to set up. My friend who is not tech savvy was able to set it up easily.

Which is the most user-friendly for the purpose of finding "most recent R Pesach Kron's Shiur on Torahanytime"?

These work with no monthly service other than internet, and/or Amazon Prime?

amother
Orchid

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 6:37 pm
You can use Spotify with your own playlist so nothing you don't want to hear comes up. But the ads are not always what you want to hear, if you use the Free version.

singleagain

Post Wed, Jan 15 2020, 7:22 pm
I just checked my Amazon Alexa app, and these are the services you can add

Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics