Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Need help stocking my kitchen

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 7:34 am
I feel like this is a stupid question but I seriously need help with this. I never had this problem before but lately there isn’t anything in my fridge. Everyone complains there’s nothing to eat. Whenever I ask them what they want it’s all requests for junk food. I buy yogurts and cheese and fruits and yet that’s not good enough. What do you normally stock in your fridge to keep everyone satisfied? I have no clue what to make for dinner anymore because I think I’m suffering from burnout and just feeling blah about the lack of money we have. My husband will go to the store with our food stamps and buy junk and stuff that only he will eat. He’s absolutely useless in that department since he doesn’t think about budgeting. Any ideas of what to buy on a budget for a family of 5?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 7:44 am
Pb
Nuts
Applesauce (you can get bulk packs of pouches for a reasonable price or just normal ones)
Ww crackers and rice cakes
Hard boiled eggs if your kids eat them.
Would they go for reheated pancakes/waffles? I make (whole wheat)pancakes in bulk and Then we grab from the freezer and throw in the toaster oven
Pretzels.

pizza4

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 7:45 am
I keep one bin in the fridge for string cheese, yogurts, and one in the pantry for applesauce cups, pretzels, rice cakes, cereal bars (okay cereal bars aren't budget friendly but sometimes sanity saving.)
Those are for between meals if anyone is hungry. Or there is always a pb sandwich.
If you're feeling burnt out, make super easy suppers like chicken in the oven with any sauce or spices and halved baked potatoes-no peeling or chopping. Or frozen breaded fish with baby potatoes and frozen vegetables all in the oven. Falafel, pitas and some vegetables.
I'm sure others will have more great ideas.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 7:53 am
Tell the kids that in between meals you will always have available:
Pita, sauce & cheese for them to make themselves pizza
Bread, cream cheese, humus and peanut butter so they can make their own sandwiches
Cereal & milk which they can help themselves to
Whole fruits for munching
Popcorn kernels and paper bags for fresh popcorn (leave instructions on the bag of kernels)

Nadja

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 7:48 am
We have a "snack" drawer in our cupboard. Granola bars, cereal bars, cracker packets, mini bags of nuts. I also keep applesauce, yogurt, fruit, and cut up veggies in the fridge! We dont buy chips, but have boxes of a variety of crackers & pretzels in the pantry.

tichellady

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 8:09 am
Dinner ideas: lentils and rice, lasagna, homemade veggie pizza and salad, spinach quiche, shakshuka with pita and Israeli salad,

Snack ideas: baby carrots, clementines, is there a Trader Joe’s near you, they have lots of good snacks ( blintzes, veggie burgers,popcorn, pretzels, cereal and milk etc)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics