Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Does a magazine that represents klal yisroel exist?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

lifesagift

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:00 am
Books/mags/newspapers have always been my personal therapists.
My thoughts and feelings get sorted through reading.
When anything significant happened in the world/Jewish world, I would turn to the inky sheets for clarity and comfort.
I recall being a total zombie after hearing about kletzky and Mumbai etc.., but somehow, after reading a gut wrenching heartfelt piece, something would lift enough for me to check on my kids if they'd eaten something the past week...
I think nonpartisan media is hiding somewhere and I'm still looking.
After a week of being shook following the Jersey city episode I was looking forward to ease my spirits a bit this shabbos with my weekly Mishpacha magazine. I was so disappointed I went into my room and cried. So yes I'm overly sensitive, you must've figured that out by now, but really... the Family first had nothing. From the editors letter to the final word, not a sound. The main Mishpacha cover pic and some pages with some more large glossy pics and basic coverage that could've just as well found housing in a Minnesota based paper for mormons. No raw pain, no anguish. A story about the people of the Satmar community. Was the kletzky story about the boy of the ... wait forgive me I don't recall.. was it stolin..? Boyan..? Something end in n...?
Even the Mumbai tragedy wasn't pinned as a chabad tragedy. Yes they mentioned all the positive points connected to chabad but it was a tragedy for everyone. And that's why I was able to pick up the pieces back in the day, when newspapers weren't only about us and them but all of us earthly humans. Suffice it to say my husband had to carry some weight this shabbos meal. My question, if you read till here, is there any Jewish/nonjewish paper or even book that talks to every human being not just those in a tiny little box? I'll continue my rant later, still trying to calm down enough to sterilize my emotions

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:03 am
The hamodia had a special coverage on it

lifesagift

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:09 am
Thanks I didn't check them out yet, I found them to be too Agudah minded a while ago, I should try them again now. The mishpacha magazine has been touting their special klal yisroel status ad nauseam so the disappointment hit hard. I know I'm naive.

leah233

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:11 am
It would not be possible to have a magazine that represents all of Kllal Yisroel.

Most people read publications that match their interests and viewpoint.

A truly neutral publication:

(1)would not have a large readership base

(2) would end up being controversial anyway for not saying this, mentioning that, having writers from that community,not having any writers from this community. etc.

lifesagift

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:17 am
Leah233 I find that to be so sad.
My 2 favorite writers in mishpacha would be R Bashevkin n R Besser. They manage to stay neutral and relevant. I think media in general even secular are becoming more boxed in with each passing year. They were not all us and them in the past, and I'm not so old. Its unfortunate but only reading about your type does not make you a better person.

lifesagift

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:22 am
I think the internet which has been blamed a lot for bringing same minded people together for better or more often for worse, may have something to do with this. The printed media may see the internet as the competition and try to compete. Its downward spiral

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:24 am
I didn't read Mishpacha this week, but in general, I find them to be very inclusive.
I'll say what was said 100 times already: Magazines are planned way in advance, and printed a couple of days before you get it, so they didn't have much time to cover this well. They're not set up that way (unlike a newspaper).
And, I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but I think its smarter to get your relief from an internal place that you own and can control, rather than depend on a magazine that owes nothing to anyone besides for its bottom line. Yes, all that touted altruism is nice, but they wouldn't be here if not for their bottom line. They are not a non profit.
Falling apart like what you described is really not the norm and not ok.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:44 am
Naomi Magazine is new. I don’t like Mishpacha with all of the politics. I take the Binah.

lifesagift

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:44 am
My question is not where I can find coverage because I know I can find some in every paper jewish or not. My question is why must it be us and them. In the universe we are but a tiny planet. Will our grandchildren belong to a political street or avenue? I've been buying the mishpacha weekly for years. They are officially my "type". My kids attend schools n dh attends shul n daf yomi all mishpacha "type". Ftr I'm jpf chasidic lite from bp with some satmar friends, neighbors n relatives. When the mishpacha goes on and on and on how they represent all yidden from the rightest to the leftest.. they should take it a bit more for my sake

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:57 am
lifesagift wrote:
My question is not where I can find coverage because I know I can find some in every paper jewish or not. My question is why must it be us and them. In the universe we are but a tiny planet. Will our grandchildren belong to a political street or avenue? I've been buying the mishpacha weekly for years. They are officially my "type". My kids attend schools n dh attends shul n daf yomi all mishpacha "type". Ftr I'm jpf chasidic lite from bp with some satmar friends, neighbors n relatives. When the mishpacha goes on and on and on how they represent all yidden from the rightest to the leftest.. they should take it a bit more for my sake

They generally talk about an AUDIENCE from right to left, and wanting to cater to that audience, but they don't REPRESENT it.
I love Mishpacha, and I love the ppl working there, but they aint what they aint.
They don't represent the ppl who are against zionism, and they don't represent the ppl who want images of women, and they don't represent natural minded ppl and the list goes on and on and on.

lifesagift

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:57 am
It's also not that I feel it didn't hit ky hard, I know it did. It's just the way the magazine specifically chose to present it. A story that happened to them. I'm not buying Der yid, never did or will mostly because Yiddish is hard for me and my kids to read. Do I really need to buy der yid to read a story that affected us all?
Otoh when the viznitz rebbe from monsey comes to Lakewood and asks someone about a song or something, amazing
The satmar rebbe went to eretz yisroel to support mosdos who refuse support from Israel... not our narrative
It's not what it used to be and I'm sad..

lifesagift

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:13 pm
It's all about the bottom line... even yeshivas... how can you come back home to me if we remain apart..

lifesagift

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:15 pm
I hear I shouldn't rely on reading to be comforted makes sense, but it has worked well in the past. Where r we going wrong

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:18 pm
Agree, I think you are having unrealistic expectations of the magazines. You can't expect them to fill this void or spiritual need in your life. That comes thru human connection and interactions.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:21 pm
I just went to read it, and you're right. It is in VERY poor taste. It focuses on the viability of Jersey City, without much focus on the loss or on the ramifications of anti semitism.
They probably wanted a different angle, because by the time ppl would be reading it, we'd be way past the stage where we already heard and absorbed it all. It is also a lot of what ppl are talking about IRL, and this article is a reflection of that.
I would've expected more, but this just reinforces what I wrote above. Don't rely on them for anything, and know that they aren't here to serve your needs.
Also, a letter to the editor wouldn't hurt. Make your voice be heard.
https://mishpacha.com/the-day-.....city/

lifesagift

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:23 pm
I know I'm overreacting, it happens every time, my family is used to this already... just wanted to air out my feelings here.

amother
Emerald

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:30 pm
All the magazines are a paid advertisement. A company will pay the magazine to have a write up / interview on them. food companies will pay to have a recipe that will suggest their product.

lifesagift

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:31 pm
I know I should be talking to people, fact is besides with dh I didn't discuss it with anyone.. not that I didn't talk to anyone this week but it just didn't come up. Do I say hi neighbors I need to discuss this? I don't like to make my friends my therapists, my bad. What I'm saying is that it wasn't so in the past. This episode did not affect me half as much as kletzky or Mumbai which Really took my kishkes out. But there was something about getting my familiar mishpacha that had this feeling of grief on every page that somehow brought me comfort. I guess I'm the only one

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:35 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
All the magazines are a paid advertisement. A company will pay the magazine to have a write up / interview on them. food companies will pay to have a recipe that will suggest their product.

From the insider's perspective: Mishpacha is the most ethical on this matter. They may have other issues, but they are very strict against receiving remuneration for interviews/articles.
They actually have a clause in their contract worded very strongly about this.
If they do have remuneration for articles, they keep it top secret, and it can't happen too often.
For food, they get free products to try, and they must mention it in the recipe.
Other magazines openly 'sell' cover stories, interviews and articles without putting the word advertorial on the article.

lifesagift

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 12:38 pm
I don't blame the magazine it is what it is, I'm asking if there's a publication out there that truly includes everyone equally or is that in olam haemes only?
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room