Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Does a magazine that represents klal yisroel exist?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 5:18 pm
amother [ Lemon ] wrote:
Lifesagift,it sound like you are Satmar from home.
I am not. Not even chassidish. (I used "from home" because you said your heimish.)

I read the article. You're right that it wasn't as gut wrenching as the coverage of other tragedies, but be dan lkaf zchus. You don't know the back story of why this is so. Neither do I.

It easy a snub against satmar. Mishpacha is very inclusive, IMO, featuring all types of ppl, from Chabad to MO, chassidish to yeshivish to out of all the boxes! Lol! Smile

I think that since your close family and friends live in Jersey City, it harder t you.

I do have friends n neighbors that are satmar, not sure if I mentioned it, so yeah, it hurts that they're being treated like *the other. Ftr I don't know a soul from jc, I don't even know ao who knows someone from there so it's not like I was more related here than the average yid.

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 5:24 pm
Deleted

Last edited by lifesagift on Mon, Dec 23 2019, 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 5:26 pm
deleted

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 5:33 pm
And it's not that 1 reporter didnt get it just right, rather that it was just that 1 article, like a btw news tidbit. A national tragedy like this has always had several bits alluding to the tragedy scattered throughout the magazine. It was just off. The fact that it's chanukah issue notwithstanding, they had plenty time to add some observations n thoughts between the very chanukah related topic of pilates and whatnot.

Last edited by lifesagift on Mon, Dec 23 2019, 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 5:37 pm
Btw I don't know if I was clear with this, but tho I am blessed to have wonderful satmar neighbors I have even more that are agudah affiliated, and I don't find them biased like that. Which is the main point, why I'm disappointed in the direction the mags seemed to be going. Like in the secular world,
the media is more divided than the people they represent. Even from the responses here, so many said they are not related to satmar at all yet they feel it's a personal tragedy and find the coverage to be off

cbsp

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 5:55 pm
Deleted.

Last edited by cbsp on Mon, Dec 23 2019, 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 5:56 pm
deleted

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 6:18 pm
I'm sorry it was anger speaking. Deleting.

cbsp

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 6:53 pm
lifesagift wrote:
I'm sorry it was anger speaking. Deleting.

Thank you, I'll delete mine as well.

Amother wheat, can you please delete your quote of my post? Thanks.

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 7:06 pm
Thank you all, I was not expecting so many responses, was just a rant from self diagnosed (ok my family n friends agree) overly sensitive person.. I chv did not mean to bash a specific mag or part of klal yisroel. I love you all, I feel better already.. the magic of chanukah, the beautiful words of al hanisim and chasoif.. really only Hashem could heal and comfort, may he bring us all the ultimate comfort, lets all go and enjoy chanukah:)

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 8:42 pm
You know, this thread is rather revealing.
Nobody said “Are you nuts? Would you want to read a magazine with articles by Hashomer Hatzair lurking between articles by the Skverer Rebbe and Rav Herschel Schachter? “ Nobody said “Ha! You’d never get anyone from Agudah to contribute to a publication that accepts articles by Reform writers .”

Nobody mentioned non-Orthodox or secular Jews at all. The logical conclusion is that imamothers consider Klal Yisrael to be made up solely of Orthodox Jews running the vast gamut from MO lite aka barely frum to ultra Orthodox aka meshugeh-cult frum, and who, as we know, make up at least 95% of the world’s Jewish population.

NOT. Orthodox Jews comprise a minuscule portion of the world’s Jewish population. Even in the US, only 10% of Jews are Orthodox. Many who self-identify as Orthodox mean that the synagogue they attend, be it once a week or once a year, is Orthodox, even though they themselves are not Sabbath observant and do not keep kosher.

But imamothers know best. Only the Orthodox get Klal Yisrael membership cards.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 8:55 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
You know, this thread is rather revealing.
Nobody said “Are you nuts? Would you want to read a magazine with articles by Hashomer Hatzair lurking between articles by the Skverer Rebbe and Rav Herschel Schachter? “ Nobody said “Ha! You’d never get anyone from Agudah to contribute to a publication that accepts articles by Reform writers .”

Nobody mentioned non-Orthodox or secular Jews at all. The logical conclusion is that imamothers consider Klal Yisrael to be made up solely of Orthodox Jews running the vast gamut from MO lite aka barely frum to ultra Orthodox aka meshugeh-cult frum, and who, as we know, make up at least 95% of the world’s Jewish population.

NOT. Orthodox Jews comprise a minuscule portion of the world’s Jewish population. Even in the US, only 10% of Jews are Orthodox. Many who self-identify as Orthodox mean that the synagogue they attend, be it once a week or once a year, is Orthodox, even though they themselves are not Sabbath observant and do not keep kosher.

But imamothers know best. Only the Orthodox get Klal Yisrael membership cards.

This website is for frum women.

And yes, someone who is mechalel shabbos in public, like most non observant Jews, is not considered "amecha". The proof is yayin nesech.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 8:59 pm
ectomorph wrote:
This website is for frum women.

And yes, someone who is mechalel shabbos in public, like most non observant Jews, is not considered "amecha". The proof is yayin nesech.

Even if they they are tinok shenishba? I highly doubt it.

Anyway, mishpacha certainly has articles portraying respect for many non Orthodox Jews, whether politicians or professionals, as long as said individuals are not out to get other people to be like them in their lack of religiosity. They certainly do not ever highlight outspoken Reform Jews whose only mission is to stir up controversy, and rightly so; they are a frum magazine.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:02 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Even if they they are tinok shenishba? I highly doubt it.

Anyway, mishpacha certainly has articles portraying respect for many non Orthodox Jews, whether politicians or professionals, as long as said individuals are not out to get other people to be like them in their lack of religiosity. They certainly do not ever highlight outspoken Reform Jews whose only mission is to stir up controversy, and rightly so; they are a frum magazine.

Tinok shenishba yayin nesech applies to. Buy my point is that it's ridiculous to criticize an orthodox website for being orthodox.

There is a non religious element on ima mother that seeks to make orthodoxy just one of many valid choices of how to be Jewish. It is important to call them out.

Orthodox women have one safe haven on He internet. You want to criticise us, go to gomi blog.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:05 pm
ectomorph wrote:
Tinok shenishba yayin nesech applies to. Buy my point is that it's ridiculous to criticize an orthodox website for being orthodox.

There is a non religious element on ima mother that seeks to make orthodoxy just one of many valid choices of how to be Jewish. It is important to call them out.

Orthodox women have one safe haven on He internet. You want to criticise us, go to gomi blog.

I meant to ask whether they are included as "amecha."

And I agree they are a frum magazine and should (and do) promote frum hashkafos. This amother seems to feel bitter from previous experiences here or elsewhere.

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:26 pm
Yes when I said klal yisroel I meant the minuscule portion that adheres to the premise of the Torah, not davka the ones descendant of avraham avinu, u got me, I should've been more clear on that... and being that Torah observant Jews are so minuscule in numbers it should for sure be easy to have 1 paper that can cater to us all. I guess that would have to remain the Torah and all its books, hafoch boch, that's all we really need..
And yet if anyone out there is ready to produce a mag that's open to all, kol hakavod, I would be interested in learning a lesson from anything that could interest klal yisroel including things that happened to reform yidden, which I happen to follow as well, ( I don't think when a magazine writes they represent klal yisroel a reform person would feel it relates to them perhaps I'm wrong, that's besides the point..) I know forward is trying, not really succeeding either but.. well, I think this rant has gotten a lot farther than I anticipated, not my intention, if ao interested in reporting I think it can go to sleep for now. Let's all enjoy the magic of chanukah. May Hashem bring us all together, we'll send our kids to the same yeshiva, (yes our Reform bros as well) we'll all read the same papers, labels will all but disappear..

zaq

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:51 pm
Seems to me that if Hitler, the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter, Hamas and other hate groups yemach shmam vezichram don’t make any distinctions between “Torah-true” Jews and “barely-Jewish-we-can’t-even-call-them-Jews” Jews, maybe we shouldn’t be so all-fired sanctimonious?

You DO know that on YK we say a prayer specifically giving us permission to pray together with transgressors?

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:56 pm
zaq wrote:
Seems to me that if Hitler, the Pittsburgh synagogue shooter, Hamas and other hate groups yemach shmam vezichram don’t make any distinctions between “Torah-true” Jews and “barely-Jewish-we-can’t-even-call-them-Jews” Jews, maybe we shouldn’t be so all-fired sanctimonious?

You DO know that on YK we say a prayer specifically giving us permission to pray together with transgressors?

Yes, although strangely it's just 1 day a year so that's revealing too..
And like I said, if there was a paper that included all jews *without bias* I believe I'd read it, pics of women, women of the wall included.. I do not agree with everyone but I'm still very much interested in them.. this rant was specifically 1 segment of chareidi which I thought was represented poorly for no decent reason but this thread derailed.. maybe start a spinoff?

amother
Cobalt

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 9:57 pm
Op I don't really get your post at all. Mishpacha and the other magazines all had spreads on the tragedy.

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:04 pm
Oy really a rant gone bad... thanks for concern, cobalt amother, I'm getting over it, can't keep up with all the comments, sorry all
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room