Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Attached vs. unattached house
Previous  1  2

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:07 pm
Specifically regarding attached vs detached.: I just moved from attached to detached and I kind of miss the muffled sounds of knowing there is someone close by if I need them. It made me less lonely. Now I have my privacy as in I know no one can hear me if I tell at my kids but on the flip side, I never hear anyone singing or laughing or just being alive and close by

Wife1

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:07 pm
Just putting it out there that new isn't always better. It may feel shticky for the first little bit but it gets old really fast

And the rule in real estate is location location location.
I would look much more into the block then the house

forgetit

Post Sun, Dec 22 2019, 11:27 pm
Some food for thought:
Value of a private home will generally be more. Think about if you're likely to want to sell eventually.
What about the layout of the home? Some single homes I looked at have a lovely yard, but small living spaces where I need it to be big (like the kitchen and dining room). If I'm buying a house, I want it set up more for my frum needs, and many old houses don't, if they weren't built or renovated for a frum family. Depends on your preferences.
If you have kids at home, a kid friendly block is a huge consideration.
An older house may have insulation issues, with old windows that allow in lots of heat/cold, and bring up electricity/gas bills.
There may also be lots of repairs in the pipeline that you hopefully won't have in a new house.
I also like what someone else said about always having someone close by, as you do in an attached home.
You can do a fence around your share of the yard for enhanced privacy.
Also think about who you'd be sharing the townhouse with.
Are you paying for maintenance to keep things orderly in shared spaces, or will the shared space result in lots of conflict when one cares about order and the other simply doesn't?

tilot37354

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 2:38 am
Being as real estate is generally an appreciating asset over time, capital invested can be looked at as an investment to increase the property value. Research the recent sales of similar homes, and see how much the fixer upper will be worth after renovations (compare to similar lots and homes in nice move-in condition) to your purchase price plus renovations cost. (Keep in mind that renovations on a single unit in confined space without economies of scale construction can be very cost inefficient.)

I think that not having a good yard (for succos and year round) and not having friends on block (even if they're a couple blocks away) is one of the things you come to regret, but that's probably very community dependent and subjective.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 3:09 am
I Would also take into consideration which block the kids would enjoy more.
I’m picturing the semi attached house to be an all frum block and kids playing outside with each other. I realize I could be wrong...
Does the semi attached house have a deck for a sukkah?
Are you able to speak with people on the block of semi attached homes to see if they are happy?
If neighbors are happy raising their kids there and you get a bigger house/more bedrooms.. it doesn’t sound bad at all.
( I grew up in an attached house on both sides so semi attached doesn’t turn me off)

JoyInTheMorning

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 4:57 am
A. A good block is the most important thing. We made a choice to move into a house that is smallish and not that convenient in layout, but we have the best block in the world. It's worth everything.

Of course, blocks can change. People can move in and out. In our case, it has only gotten better.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 7:12 am
I never heard the neighbours in my parents home. On the flipside they didn't hear when c'v we had a fire.

cnc

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 7:15 am
A

sweetart

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 7:27 am
Not sure if this is part of your consideration, but utility bills would probably be lower in a semi attached, new construction home as well.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 8:20 am
Id want the privacy, independence, and yard if all other factors were doable.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 8:27 am
Just be aware that a semi-attached house leaves you dependent on your neighbors at times. Hopefully you'll have nice and good neighbors but there's no guarantee. My parents had their neighbors pipe leak into their house, BH they agreed to fix it or my parents would have been stuck. The roof is shared, when there was a mouse it visited both houses. Buy whichever works best for your family but be aware of the pros and cons of each.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating