Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Your Awesome Self Shterna Ginsburg

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:32 pm
Anyone have a review on this book? Is it worth ordering? Is it heavy or intense? Would you recommend it?

lifesagift

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:34 pm
I heard her speak on a hotline and was smitten.. didn't read the book yet though

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:38 pm
I’m in the middle of reading it. We are studying it together in a group setting. I love it so far.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Dec 23 2019, 10:55 pm
I read it. It's intense, you need to really be focused. It's not light bedtime reading
I love it but I did need to read it twice to really absorb anything, it's also a very specific style which doesn't work for some people but works really well for others

amother
Red

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:48 am
It's amazing. A friend is starting a group to learn it. It's not a light read, but it's worth it. When I internalize it, I have much more peace of mind. I've recommended to a lot of friends.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:52 am
Amazon had 13 reviews..all 5 stars..

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 6:36 am
I have heard many good things about it, planning to read it.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 8:15 am
Can someone please sum up her overall approach? I've been hearing a lot about it, but I wanted to see if it jives with the type of ideas I like to work with.

lifesagift

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 8:17 am
I think she starts by building you up

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 9:11 am
It’s based on the 12 Principles of Yiddishkeit which the Lubavitcher Rebbe cited as vital to a wholesome life .

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:44 am
if you aren't lebavitch will it stll appeal?

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:52 am
Yes, it just follows that structure and builds it up accordingly but it isn't lubavitch specific

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:58 am
amother [ Mint ] wrote:
I read it. It's intense, you need to really be focused. It's not light bedtime reading
I love it but I did need to read it twice to really absorb anything, it's also a very specific style which doesn't work for some people but works really well for others

can you elaborate what "style" you eman

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 11:08 am
Rabbi Twerski wrote the forward for the book and believes that just like the 12 Step program works in a group setting to recover from addictions and had proven amazing results , he feels the same would hold true for those that learn the 12 Principles in this book in a group setting , and that it may well be the formula to achieving happiness.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 11:12 am
can you learn it by yourself or it has to be in a group setting, I usually end up doing stuff by myself...

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 11:15 am
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
can you learn it by yourself or it has to be in a group setting, I usually e3nd up doing stuff by myself...

It definitely could be read by yourself but even the author recommends that it be reviewed in a group. You can do it with a friend. It’s not a book that you read in one sitting. It’s absorbing the information she provides and trying to implement new thought processes into your life.

tp3

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 11:24 am
From Amazon screenshots it looks like it's written based on the 12 pesukim the Lubavitcher Rebbe said every child should know by heart.
It looks like an amazing book.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 12:02 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
can you elaborate what "style" you eman

I'm not sure how to explain it. Perhaps someone else who read it can clarify.

saralem

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 1:41 pm
sounds great. I just ordered it for myself from Amazon!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room