Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
BOYS High Schools with Athletic programs and DORM
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 6:51 am
Need to find a new school for DS for next year. Yes I know there are way more important things to look for but right now this is what he needs.

We need a Yeshiva/High school with an amazing athletic program. What I mean by amazing is that they must have team sports with practices and play other schools. Other MUSTS is school has to be all BOYS and have a DORM. Other then that at this point it could be anything. Does anyone know of such a school? So far this is my list.

MTA

Not much of a list. Please help.

mha3484

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:09 am
Skokie Yeshiva

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:41 am
mta was the only one I thought of as well...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:51 am
Does Skokie have a dorm? I can’t tell by website. I did email them. Thanks and keep them coming!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:54 am
Unless something changed recently, Skokie has had a dorm for many, many years.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 7:55 am
They do have a dorm!! I just called. I am adding it to the list. Thanks to you guys the list just doubled. Any more?

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 9:07 am
Do Shaarei Arazim in Monsey or Chofetz Chaim in Rochester work for you?

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 9:08 am
amother [ Natural ] wrote:
Do Shaarei Arazim in Monsey or Chofetz Chaim in Rochester work for you?

Chofetz Chaim in Rochester has no organized sports.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:04 am
Baltimore TA has a basketball team.

Isn’t there also a school in Northern nj area with ice hockey team.

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:09 am
Will schools guarantee he will be on the team. Typically you gave to qualify and they need space.
Or is it just the fact they have it.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 24 2019, 10:11 am
amother [ Burlywood ] wrote:
Will schools guarantee he will be on the team. Typically you gave to qualify and they need space.
Or is it just the fact they have it.

He is a very athletic kid. I’m not so worried he wouldn’t make a team but I do think it would be enough that he had the opportunity to try since that’s what he feels like he is missing out on.

I will contact Baltimore to find out more info, thanks.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 6:34 pm
Any other ideas? I spoke to Skokie and it doesn’t seem to be what we/he are looking for.

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 6:44 pm
Where are you at hashkafically?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 7:30 pm
Neither of these schools fit with what we had planned for our DS. Truly open to any school at this point that meets the criteria I listed. Trying to help our son find his way. Open to any frum school where our son can be happy.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 7:34 pm
I don't know if such a school exists...you may need to be flexible on your criteria. The schools with dorms tend to be more yeshiva type which means no organized sports.

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 7:37 pm
OK.

Also depends where your son is at academically.

Anyway,

Maybe Rambam Mesivta

Not sure about dorm though...

Worth finding out.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 7:41 pm
Thank you Gold21. I will look into it. BH my son is an excellent student. Part of his unhappiness is he isn’t being challenged in his very small non leveled Yeshiva. He scored an almost perfect score on his PSAT. I’m worried but not so worried about influences as this DS has a strong personality and isn’t a follower if you are concerned about his yiddishkeit.

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 7:44 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you Gold21. I will look into it. BH my son is an excellent student. Part of his unhappiness is he isn’t being challenged in his very small non leveled Yeshiva. He scored an almost perfect score on his PSAT. I’m worried but not so worried about influences as this DS has a strong personality and isn’t a follower if you are concerned about his yiddishkeit.

OK, awesome, then for sure look into it.

From what I know about it, it has strong academics and a strong sports program.

gold21

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 7:50 pm
Also coming to my mind because it's in the same neighborhood as Rambam,

Look into Mesivta Ateres Yaakov (MAY). It's definitely to the right of Rambam hashkafically. Both great schools, just different.

I think that whole general area (5 Towns) is a good place to start, in terms of what you're looking for.

Good Luck.

DrMom

Post Thu, Dec 26 2019, 1:45 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Wow -- a great student, a star athlete, and strong yiddishkeit. Quite the Renaissance Man!

You are very lucky to have such a well-rounded and accomplished son. I hope you find something. Lots of nachat!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children