Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
5yr wakes up to go to the bathroom
1  2  Next

malky800

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:18 am
I would start off by saying that he does not eat or drink alot during the day ,more than other of my kids.
The last few weeks I've been noticing 1am I hear him get up to go to the bathroom, then again at 6.
Last night I made sure he has a water bottle near his bed and it just had a little bit in case he was thirsty ,not full for him to drink.
And he went to the bathroom right before I tucked him in.
And again last night I heard him on his nightly walk.
Also, one time I caught him and tried to encourage him just to go back to bed and instead he had an accident right there. Like he really needed that bathroom trip not just because.

Any ideas? Is this more just like sleepwalking? Or do I get concerned.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:19 am
Why on earth would this be a cause for concern? That's great! The alternative is for him to wet his bed each night.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:20 am
His bladder is small and he doesn't wet the bed. I think you are good.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:20 am
What’s the issue here? Don’t you ever wake in middle of th night to pee? Same for him. If you’re really concerned don’t leave a water bottle for him at his bed.

Simple1

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:23 am
At least he's not bedwetting.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:42 am
OP, this is great. He's getting up to pee instead of peeing in bed.

malky800

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:42 am
Why is it waking him up? Shouldn't he be sleeping through the urge?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:46 am
malky800 wrote:

No, then he would be wetting the bed. If you are concerned, talk to your ped. I think it’s ok to wake up once or twice. I mean, that’s what we all want right? That our kids shouldn’t be long term bed setters.

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total

banana123

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:47 am
malky800 wrote:

That's be a good question for your doctor, if he were waking up to poop. If he's waking up to pee, then no, someone who is fully potty-trained will wake up to pee, not sleep through the urge.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:49 am
malky800 wrote:

Have you literally never woken in middle of the night to pee?????

yersp

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 8:58 am
Maybe check it out with the pediatrician.
When my oldest was still not staying dry at night at 6 years old, the ped sent me to a urologist. They explained that in a 24 hour period, the bladder needs to hold in urine for 12 (during the night) and relax during the day. Maybe your son is not going often enough during the day and holding it in, therefore, he's waking up at night because then the bladder is relaxing. I had to "retrain" my child's bladder. She had to drink a lot of water and go on a schedule every two hours during the day so her bladder would hold it in during the next 12 hours when she slept. It took a while but b"H we got there where she slept thru the night with no bedwetting.
Good luck!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 9:00 am
yersp wrote:
When my oldest was still not staying dry at night at 6 years old, the ped sent me to a urologist. They explained that in a 24 hour period, the bladder needs to hold in urine for 12 (during the night) and relax during the day. Maybe your son is not going often enough during the day and holding it in, therefore, he's waking up at night because then the bladder is relaxing. I had to "retrain" my child's bladder. She had to drink a lot of water and go on a schedule every two hours during the day so her bladder would hold it in during the next 12 hours when she slept. It took a while but b"H we got there where she slept thru the night with no bedwetting.
Good luck!

OP child isn’t bedwetting. If he were I’d agree with your assessment. He’s doing the right thing: getting up to pee and going back to bed

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 9:02 am
yersp wrote:
Good luck!

One of my kids goes often during the day and also sometimes wakes up at night to go. He's ten and BH healthy.

yersp

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 9:11 am
It's not normal to always have to go. But, hey, as long as everyone is ok with it and it's not affecting your child in a bad way, good for you.

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 9:13 am
yersp wrote:
It's not normal to always have to go. But, hey, as long as everyone is ok with it and it's not affecting your child in a bad way, good for you.

I didn't say always, I said often. In other words, he isn't holding it during the day.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 9:30 am
1. He's getting up to use the bathroom and is not peeing in his bed.

2. He's getting up and going by himself and not waking you. My son that age would definitely wake up and yell for me to come if he had to go to the bathroom, because he'd be scared to go alone.

Be grateful for what you have and leave him be!

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 9:32 am
malky800 wrote:

No. Then he will wet his bed. (Speaking from experience.)

Encourage him to use he bathroom just before bed, and just let it be.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:22 am
From your post, it sounds like this is a relatively new thing for him. Is he newly nighttime trained or has this only started happening recently?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 10:54 am
I really wouldn't worry if he's not going excessively during the day. At different stages, and 5 is a normal one, there can be some asynchronous development where he needs more fluid intake but doesn't have the bladder capacity to match up with what he can drink. If he was going more during the day, I'd keep an eye out if it continues to see if it's out of the realm of normal.

He might also be having a hard time sleeping and is already waking up, and is just using the bathroom out of habit at those times.

In the winter months, with the heat on, I feel like my kids drink more.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 25 2019, 11:43 am
malky800 wrote:

Everyone's body is different. Some in our family sleep through and go in the morning and others wake up to go each night and go again in the morning.
Even the ones who usually sleep through will wake when pregnant because bladder is smaller then (less room in bladder since the sack pushes on it).

Last edited by ra_mom on Wed, Dec 25 2019, 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics